HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hexham
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
I attach photos of some of my repairs. I stitched the nose back on with 1/8" CF Rod/CA and used CA to glue the sheared Elapore. Following suggestions h/t rcairnut I inserted 1/8" rod into the fin & under the tailplane, Inserted an extended CF tube (8mm) in the wings and installed sarg's rudder mod - this has two layers of Blenderm on each side, the top one to secure the leading edge of the Solarfilm. If I need a mark II rudder I'll not cover it but use permanent marker to colour the balsa. Test flight next week.

I secured the rudder control rod to the tailplane with the great standby "Dental Floss", CA and a small balsa plate underneath to prevent the floss pulling through the Elapore.

Test flight a mess - EZ* refuses to turn to left Mk II rudder in preparation with much fatter profile (9mm - instead of 6mm) and will shape to taper aft with bevel at front, weather likely to delay further tests for a few days

This mod has not been a success, I've reverted to a tail fin very similar to the original but performance still well short of pre accident. Final test flights later today failing which I'll go for a new airframe.

More reading & experiments, problem probably down to 3mm balsa patches on underside of each wing causing tip stall. Patches removed & waiting for flying weather. Sky Surfer under construction - comparison with Easy Star interesting. Kits available here in UK have two Fuse halves already joined which limits CF strengthening of tail and nose area.

Final note - New Ez* wings were the solution, Rudder very similar to original, a good day on Thursday light winds & high air pressure all day. The old wings have been retained in case I need the Elapore for repairs. The Sky surfer has also been successful maidend with the aid of "Spud" who checked & trimmed it for me. I would take this opportunity to strongly recommend anyone who wants to start RC flying to join a club and talk to members who in my case have been very supportive and generous with their time and experience. All my Christmases at once, two planes that fly and end to the stick time famine.
gr4ndp4 is offline Find More Posts by gr4ndp4
Last edited by gr4ndp4; Sep 16, 2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: More detail
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
More Thrust

My 3 year old Easy Star has a new more powerful motor ( an inrunner at about 36 amps WOT. Has a 7 x 5 APC.

We have a grass nun way and with about 35 ounces of thrust it takes off from the groumd Pronto! But it require up elevator when I open throttle above 1/2 way open. The nose gets pushed down.

But I fly at 1/3rd throttle most all the time....= PHUN !
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:19 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4ndp4 View Post
Sarge - a question. I'm about to attach my enlarged balsa rudder to my ez* I have Blenderm tape and will cover the balsa with Solarfilm (like Oracover). Experiments show the Blenderm sticks to balsa, Elapore & solarfilm like the proverbial to a blanket. Solarfilm will not stick to Blenderm. In your Rudder mod 2 you stuck your hinge to the Oracover and it looked very nice - did this cause any difficulties ie did the film detach from the rudder resulting in hinge failure? The Solarfilm sticks to balsa OK but the Blenderm seems stronger. I would prefer to have the Blenderm in direct contact with the balsa but covering the blenderm with Solarfilm seems to be a problem. Sorry this is a bit complicated, I would value your advice.

Update - I tried smearing the Bleniderm with CA and titebond then applying the solarfilm to the surfaces but both glues detatched. Plan now is to use Blenderm onto the Elapore & balsa to creater a sound working hinge, cover with solarfilm then apply a second strip of blenderm to hold the leading edge of the solarfilm down Should work!!

Due to my lack of skill with Solarfilm results slightly baggy surface I've experimented further, abandoned film covering, stained the balsa with permanent marker pen - Blenderm sticks well but test your marker of choice - if it leaves a powdery deposit on the surface rub with damp cloth, ensure totally dry before applying Blenderm.
sorry gr4ndp4 I missed this post,
It looks like you got everything back in running order hope she still fly's great.
I did cover the rudder with Monokote or some brand of film like it, (I have lots of rolls of scraps) I painted the balsa rudder with coverrite adhesive for film before I attached the film and this film will not come off!
The hing is bi-directional strapping tape that I covered that with .03 mil clear book laminating film, this is UV blocking and will protect the strapping tape form the sun for next to forever, looks like a charm!

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:30 AM
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Buzzard View Post
My 3 year old Easy Star has a new more powerful motor ( an inrunner at about 36 amps WOT. Has a 7 x 5 APC.

We have a grass nun way and with about 35 ounces of thrust it takes off from the groumd Pronto! But it require up elevator when I open throttle above 1/2 way open. The nose gets pushed down.

But I fly at 1/3rd throttle most all the time....= PHUN !
I have the same "problem"
up thrust with throttle or instant high speed dive, I did this the first time on a low slow pass then hammered the throttle and almost hammered the ground!
my setup is from common sense RC and has a lot of power! I run about 1/3rd to 1/2 when I am not gliding and filming.
It has been a very satisfying project, with great results.

nut
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:59 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
I've mixed in 20% up elevator with throttle which seems to sort it. But it's only compensating for excessive down thrust which I will correct when I go brushless.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:03 PM
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I've mixed in 20% up elevator with throttle which seems to sort it. But it's only compensating for excessive down thrust which I will correct when I go brushless.

Terry
Terry I agree, look here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1265

I would now do something like this with a powerful setup like I am running.
I will try the mix also, Thanks!

nut
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:04 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Agree, concerning the thrust line - The first EG I built use a heli outrunner consuming 500W+ and I recall the wings bent really bad when going WOT. Changed the thrust line to almost zero compared to the main wing (assumed mac line) and it has worked well ever since.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Sep 02, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Easy Star Has a New Color

I just got a reserve Easy Star kit from Horizon Hobby. They changed the color of the wings to white without telling anyone. The box still shows the gray.

Geezzzz I wish they would stop changing things all the time. Especially without some advance notice.

Arghhhhhhh,

Cliff
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:32 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
I just got a reserve Easy Star kit from Horizon Hobby. They changed the color of the wings to white without telling anyone. The box still shows the gray.

Geezzzz I wish they would stop changing things all the time. Especially without some advance notice.

Arghhhhhhh,

Cliff
The White Edition has been out there for a while and if you check the mpx site they also announce the EZStar II edition, at the moment on the front page:
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/home.html
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:34 AM
Joined May 2010
120 Posts
My EasyStar with EasyGlider wings

EasyStar RC with EasyGlider wings (StarGlider) (2 min 46 sec)
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Always looking for lift...
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adioperator View Post
Like it !
sky_surfer_fra is offline Find More Posts by sky_surfer_fra