HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2008, 02:25 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy
thanks Dr Kiwi. For the price you cant beat em. $29USD each.

There has been some speculation amongst loong max users that the packs may actually be higher performing than rated. Certainly appears to be the case with my two.
My watts-up meter reads my fully charged 3 cell lipo's at 12.55v ..... both MPX and Zippy versions ......

nothing else connected ...... just the meter to the battery ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2008, 03:54 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
What is the best way to remove the stock motor from the RTF version mount without causing to much damage. Thanks.
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Apr 24, 2008, 04:12 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Belgi, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4J Denny
What is the best way to remove the stock motor from the RTF version mount without causing to much damage. Thanks.
Use a small knife just long enough to go along the installed motor.
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Apr 24, 2008, 04:20 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4J Denny
here's what I did .....

first split the slit in the motor housing at the top ..... use a Box /Stanley type knife ....

next I took a very small scroll saw blade like the one in the photo below .... broke off clean at one end .... ground and sharpened this end with a grinder ......

with the saw blade I carefully cut following the outside of the motor as a guide ..... do this slowly and carefully to remove as little material as possible ......

next take a long nosed pair of Pliers ..... insert the nose's as far as possible into the motor cooling vents and carefully twist and pull the motor ...... if there seems to be too much resistance use the saw blade a little more .....

you should find the motor gradually loosens and comes out free ....

rem the motor wires !!!!!! ..... you will have to cut them as soon as you can get to them at the back of the motor .....

Most guys like to run new wires on the top/outside of the fuse ...... particularily when a Brushless setup is being installed since a third motor wire will be required ..... often the ESC is also mounted on the outside for cooling reasons ..... here's a link to a recent out-runner motor installation (not mine) showing the external mounted gear ....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5360

hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:26 PM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
All this chatter about cutting out the brushed motor has stirred me up a little...

I'm ready to buid the EZ.

-Keep in mind---- I've got three 3S1P A123 batt's hungry for amps and in need of a home!

Dilema (sp?) ....
I have a NEW brushed Zagi "timed & balanced" (ohhhhh) speed 400 motor and a carbon prop (Ahhh). I also have a good brushless inrunner and ESC that would be quite suitable for this bird.

Question.....?
for simple every day flying, having fun with my 8 year old, and usabilty of an old brushed ESC, can use the A123's, beataround chuck in the park 'Flyer'...

Brushed or Brush-LESS?

Am I going to regret ever thinking this pretty new Zagi timed, balanced, blah, blah, blah... (with the awsome looking hologram sticker) motor, will do what I want it to do????????

the miser in me says "go brushed", the devil in me says "DAAHH.....FOOL!

thoughts....

?
Dampy is offline Find More Posts by Dampy
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:33 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,454 Posts
GO BRUSHLESS. You can get a suitable motor for $15.00 and a ESC for $20.00. Best investment you could make IMHO.
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:43 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,381 Posts
Dampy:

Don't try to re-invent the wheel, if you are really trying to have fun with your 8 year old. Run the stock setup .. it works fine for hundreds of flights, and will give the young-un a great opportunity to learn at a resonable pace. There will be plenty of opportunities to graduate to a "hot rod".

Glue the stock motor in with three little dabs of goop ( it isn't a Honda 250 !! ), and it will be a piece of cake to cut out with a hobby knife when you want to put in a brushless ..

Just my old fart opinion ...

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:52 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,566 Posts
oops, wrong thread...
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:41 PM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
Quote:
( it isn't a Honda 250 !! ),
Sweet! (thanks Russ)

you know, I sometimes forget and need to be reminded that simplicty and econimics is what got me started 10 years ago in this crazy hobby.

I'll leave myself options for the 'Pull out' and put this purdy 400 through its paces!

ps. I'll chime back in when she burns out, or when sonny boy augers the EZ!
Dampy is offline Find More Posts by Dampy
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:48 AM
Canberra
Joined Jun 2007
101 Posts
I used white silcone sealant on my motor. Holds well and comes off really easy.
Gizzy is offline Find More Posts by Gizzy
Old May 06, 2008, 02:46 PM
Puffed Up Lipo
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Jim,

After having to put 4oz of nose weight into my now crashed Easy Star, I wanted to build an extended nose to push out the batteries forward. I ran across your extended nose photos (thank you) and wondered if you can give any more tips or advise on how you built that and how it ended up flying.

I'm thinking of running gorilla glued balsa wood down the front and left sides from the rear of the compartment all the way forward through the nose extension to give it crash strength,added nose weight and to protect the batteries.
kimeza is offline Find More Posts by kimeza
Old May 25, 2008, 09:00 PM
United States, PA, York
Joined Apr 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Limn
I know I am probably asking a dumb question, but please bear with me and help me sort this out, if I wanted to add ailerons, is it necessary to flatten the wings like you mention or should I just leave the wing tips alone? Is there any significant advantage for a flat wing tips?
This might be a little late to answer your question, but I just built an Easy Star with ailerons and did not do anything to the wing tips. It flys great and has plenty of control. I am also running a Hacker brushless A20-50s motor with an Electrifly SS-12 ESC and a 6x4 prop. Battery is a lipoly 2200 ma 3c which gives me more than 30 minute flight times. With the battery in the nose, I did not have to add any additional weight. I have 2 servos for the ailerons, one on each wing so I can still take the wing apart. I wanted something for my grandson to fly and this is ideal. After it is in the air, it flys nicely at less than half throttle and is ideal for him to learn on.
PLLarose is offline Find More Posts by PLLarose
Old May 29, 2008, 11:40 PM
Joined Dec 2007
53 Posts
prop choice

I have a 6x5.5 to go with my yet un-built easy. the motor will be a Himax 2815-2000. I get the impression from the thread that this prop might be a tad too big in pitch. I would appreciate any thoughts on this please. What do you think?
johnniea4k is offline Find More Posts by johnniea4k
Old May 29, 2008, 11:46 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniea4k
I have a 6x5.5 to go with my yet un-built easy. the motor will be a Himax 2815-2000. I get the impression from the thread that this prop might be a tad too big in pitch. I would appreciate any thoughts on this please. What do you think?
What battery are you planning to use?
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old May 29, 2008, 11:50 PM
Joined Dec 2007
53 Posts
I have 3S 1800ma batteries
johnniea4k is offline Find More Posts by johnniea4k