HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2005, 02:40 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Here is a picture of the Eflight getting "deaned" Don't have one, get one of these holders; $10.00 at the Shack.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; Apr 07, 2005 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2005, 02:41 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Gold plugs installed. Everything in the cockpit.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 02:44 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
The mega is getting installed. Wipe off the finger oils, from the popcorn you just ate, with alcohol and goop it in. You can use a piece of tape to hold the motor in position. The Goop sets pretty quick.

Update 5/25/06: What is Goop?

More info...
Let the Natural Handyman give you the "poop" on GOOP!
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infgoo.shtm
Last edited by sargentw; May 25, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 02:47 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Here is a picture of the Mega drying over night. Oh, don't forget to mount the Mega Motors decals so people know what you have under the hood.

Flight report will be posted soon.

Update 2/1/08: Wattmeter measurements-

I put an APC 6x4e on my Mega 16/15/4 (2200kv), PHX-35, (2) TP 2100 3s in parallel. At WOT the watt meter read 282 watts/23.86 amps. This more than plenty of punch for the EZ. In addition, the 23/24 amp draw allows for lighter and less expensive esc's like the PHX-25 and eFlite-20.

Update: 2/22/09 Medusa BL upgrade.

I've had a chance to try a Medusa MR-028-032-2400V2 BL, Phx-35, TP 2100 prolite 3S lipo, and a SonicTronics 6x4 folding prop on my Unicorn Flying wing. The most popular motor for the Unicorn is the same Mega 16/15/4 I use in my EZ. My observations note that the Medusa is lighter and has plenty of punch and everything stayed cool at WOT. This "drop-in" speed 400 replacement motor would be a real nice B/L for the EZ. I also flew my Unicorn with an APC 6x4e prop for even more awesome performance over the folder.

Here is the scoop

ORDER DETAILS:
Item: MR-028-032-2400V2
Quantity: 1
Description: 28x32mm 2400Kv V2 Brushless Motor
Price (each): $69.95
Item Total: $69.95

http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/028-V2.htm

If the above motor isn't....... enough you could ramp up to a:

MR-028-040-2500V2 http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors...m#MR0280402200 for $78.95

Sarge
Last edited by sargentw; Apr 29, 2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Update
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:57 PM
better than park-n-work
California
Joined Jan 2005
564 Posts
What did your total brushless setup cost you (ESC, motor)? Looks like a good fit with the stock configuration.
park-n-fly is offline Find More Posts by park-n-fly
Old Apr 05, 2005, 05:37 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Park-n-fly,

The esc is a real bargan at LHS (Hobbytown) @ $54.95. The mega is $89.00. You could put a multiplex or eflight brushless motor with ESC in for around $110.00. Many of the brushless motors (mega, aveox,etc.) are direct replacements for speed 400 motors so the fit was a snap.

Tad
Last edited by sargentw; Apr 05, 2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2005, 09:10 AM
better than park-n-work
California
Joined Jan 2005
564 Posts
Thanks for the info, Tad. Let us know how she flies with her new guts.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:30 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Great weekend in Northern Va. Perfect flying conditions, especially on Sunday.

The brushless upgrade is well worth it. Extra long run times and smooth power on demand. The Mega 16/15/4 is a great choice for the EZ. On my flying wings I prefer 3 wind brushless motors (for speed). The EZ is not a hot liner so a motor that gives thrust and is easier on the batteries is a good choice . The way the motor is mounted on the EZ (like stock) is perfect. There is no need for extra fancy motor mounting or this and that. As you can see from the picture I've included the Mega motors have huge cooling holes built in. This works perfect with the airflow to the motor through the EZ's fuse. BTW: the Picture is of a brushless Combat Wings XE2 with a 16/15/3 wind motor.

My flying included using all packs, 2400 mah 2s2p 7.4 volt lipoly, 7 and 8 cell 1050 mah Kan packs. The 40 amp Eflight ESC worked like a champ; again smooth power and long flights. The Mega never got hot, maybe warm...maybe.

I stayed with the same Graupner 5.5x4.3 prop that I was using with the 6 volt brushed motor.

It was very easy to noodle around the flying field at 1/4 power or less. I think I noodled around for 20+ minutes. I had increased the throw on the rudder by two notches. Lazy rolls not a problem. Inverted flight was easy to control and I was able to exit the inverted flight by rolling rather than looping. I was able to complete both inside and outside loops without a sweat.

The power on/off perfect. The angle of thrust must be perfect. I did not need to do a whole lot of trimming when the throttle was chopped.

Caught a massive thermal on Sunday. My estimate was 1500+ feet when I started getting worried. I began to worry that I'd lose sight of the EZ. First I clicked some down trim and tried to fly out of the thermal but as you try to fly out you start to fly away. Next I put it in a couple dives and that slowly helped. Finally I was able to get the EZ down. The wings held up fine. What fun!

This is a very cool plane. It will fly out over the Ocean it will fly in small parks. I even had a couple sloppy landings where I hit a wing. Not a scratch.

The brushless setup really helps you get up quick and clear tree lines without turning. The brushless will give you smooth power and will not die the slow death brushed motors do over time. Is it 30,000 hours those brushless motors last? Nice, very nice.

I hope this thread is helpful. Taking the time to do it "neat and right" while building your models will do you right whether flying out 1/4 mile over the ocean or battling a massive thermal at 2000 ft. A well built and configured plane will be one you can count on. Take the time to think and do it right.

The build steps here were extracted from experieces gained from several models and a lifetime of hobby craftmanship.

Tad
Last edited by sargentw; Aug 05, 2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:26 PM
better than park-n-work
California
Joined Jan 2005
564 Posts
Sounds like a great little brushless setup for the EZ*. I'm interested to hear how you were able to achieve rolls with the EZ. I haven't been able to do any type of real rolls with mine. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:48 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
park-n-fly,

Make sure you have max throw, or close to it, set on your rudder. Having a larger rudder will help too.

What I do is get moving fast in a level flight and either give it down or up elevator and almost at the same time throw the stick all the way over and hold it. Make sure you have plenty of altitude before trying this.

Also, try a loop and go into inverted flight. The plane likes to self right so it will come out of inverted flight and roll right side up almost by itself.

The brushless helps get the speed up which makes it easier to rudder roll.

Tad
Old Apr 14, 2005, 09:46 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Etec 3s2p 2400 mah Lipoly pack tested

I tried an Etec 3s2p 2400 mah pack I'd been using in another sailplane. Wow it works great. Give it the gas and it zooms right out there. Then hit the up elevator and it goes right up to thermal height fast.

It only took about 625mah of charge. I went to thermal heights 3 times and then motored around. The battery, esc, and motor stayed cool.

Here is a couple pics of the Etec pack compared to some 7 cell and an 8 cell nimh pack. The Etec pack weighs about 6.5 and the 8 cell kan pack weighs about 7 oz. The EZ RTF weight (Etec on board) with the mega upgrade weighs about 24.5 oz.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Another pic showing the Etec pack in the cockpit. The Etec sits in the same position as the 8 cell kan pack. Perfect balance arrangement. No lead needed anywhere.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 04:10 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2005
7 Posts
Sargentw,

I'm a newbie and in the process of building my first plane so forgive my ignorance. In many other pictures of EZ's many of them have foam wrapped around the receiver. Your EZ does not appear to have this foam. Is it that it isn't really necessary or are you not wrapping it in foam for illustrative purposes?
jdawg53 is offline Find More Posts by jdawg53
Old Apr 15, 2005, 09:31 PM
Joined Sep 2004
637 Posts
Sarge:

First, keep up the good work. This is an excellent EZ thread and I (and others) certainly appreciate the time and care you've put into it.

I bought the Graupner 5.5x4.3 prop that you mentioned in a previous post but I didn't quite get the performance that I got from my stock prop. I'm using a relatively new stock motor (broken in) and a well charged battery. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
flyingflipper is online now Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Apr 17, 2005, 03:31 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
jdawg53,

You can wrap your rec in foam. I don't, but I do secure it with velcro and locate it behind the battery. I make sure the Xtal is in snug. Also, I use those tiny rubber bands on the Xtals to dampen vibration.

flyingflipper,

I'm surprised you don't get better performance. You can try other props, APC 5.25x4.75. They are easy to change when using an adaptor. I feel a prop adaptor is a must, especially with a brushless motor. There are too many stories of those push on props falling off even when glued on. Imagine pushing your EZ hard to clear a tree line and pop there goes the prop.

Tad