HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2005, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
A few things... nice idea to add the 3rd wire for the eventual brushless. Why not cut the rudder and elevator totally free - esp. if you are taping the hinge any way? WHy such small servos? And lastly, are you planning any pics of the prop mount? Gluing a prop on seems like a bad idea.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2005, 03:07 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
View of the rudder from the rear. Everything is straight.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Mar 23, 2005, 03:07 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
And again the EZ posing on the CG balance machine all ready to go.

So that's it for now. I know this is a huge continuing thread, however, I hope these posts are helpful, especially for new Flyers.

I'll post more as I make reportable changes/upgrades.

The EZ and a flying Wing will be going to Bethany Beach, DE this weekend. If it's calm enough I'll give it a fly out over the Ocean.

Please feel free to post comments, build ideas, and pictures.

Tad
Last edited by sargentw; Mar 23, 2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:34 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
A few things... nice idea to add the 3rd wire for the eventual brushless. Why not cut the rudder and elevator totally free - esp. if you are taping the hinge any way? WHy such small servos? And lastly, are you planning any pics of the prop mount? Gluing a prop on seems like a bad idea.
Why cut the rudder? The existing foam hinge is good by itself and holds the rudder right where it needs to be while being reinforced. Cutting the rudder off will require more alignment work.

The servos are standard on the Sky Scooter Pro II. They have been through $#$%@ and still work fine. The are very light and keep the RTF at slightly under 23oz. Extra weight has been wisely used reinforcing the rudder/elevator and tail boom. The EZ is more of a sailplane/glider than a hotliner. The Hs-55 should work fine.

Here are some pics of the prop adaptor. These prop adaptors clamp the prop shaft with a bolt and do not come off while flying, yet are very easy to remove. You can get them at aircraft World. For brushed speed 400 motors the shaft adaptor is 2.3 mm. Brushless adaptors for speed 400 brushless motors usually have a shaft of 3.2 mm. APC props would be fine. I like the Graupners better and while more expensive are fairly well protected in the EZ pusher configuration.

That's the stock prop in the picture for comparison.
Last edited by sargentw; Mar 23, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:43 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
I forgot to disclose the reinforcement hinges on the elevator. The fiber tape hinges are on the bottom of the elevator. Also not the "Star" decals that have been placed over the nasty injection holes and keep the air flow smooth.

The hinges are placed evenly in the groove so there is no binding when the elevator is moved.

Tad
Old Mar 23, 2005, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Thanks! I have to get some of those prop adapters. I expect to use HS55's in mine.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:11 AM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentw
One of the useful tasks you can work on while you ponder the next step is sand off the hundreds if injection marks on the wings, fuse, and tail feathers with a piece of 220 grit sand paper.
OH NO! You've removed the patented Multiplex turbulators©! It'll never fly now!

J/K. Nice pics and good tips. There was actually a discussion of the bumps in the early threads, with the idea that removing them might make the EZ a little less "floaty". Maybe not a good mod for the total beginner? AFAIK, no one has ever done a before and after test. Mine flies fine with them, I'll probably remove them when I build a flat airleron wing and go for the "warmliner" thing.

A note about CG. The factory suggested setting is a good starting point, but because of the variations in manufacturing and building, each EZ may have a slightly different sweet spot. On mine, I ended up with the CG 7mm forward of the recommended spot (gives me neutral trim at 1/2 throttle).

Joe
Joe_Atlanta is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Atlanta
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:30 AM
Did you get the memo?
West LA, CA
Joined Jan 2005
172 Posts
I see you've got a side-by-side 7x2/3A cell KAN. Think I can fit an 8 cell side-by-side pack in there?
BillLumberg is offline Find More Posts by BillLumberg
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:50 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Thanks Joe,

A totally new beginner should get the RTF kit. They can make the rudder mod and smooth the airfoil after the fact.

patented Multiplex turbulators©!

The Terry Graupner/Tipsy have the same, what looks like, injection marks too. I can't imagine why they would be on those planes with high performance air foils except as part of the the manufacturing process. They count on the good modeler to provide the labor to remove them and keep the kit price down.

Bill,

You could get 8 in a line in there. I can't because my ole' Scooter HiTec AM rec is too big.

Tad
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:56 PM
Did you get the memo?
West LA, CA
Joined Jan 2005
172 Posts
Maybe the "turbulators" act as vortex generators, helping the airflow remain attached to the surface, hence less drag. It's a long shot, but if true then it would be beneficial to keep them.

On second though, vortex generators are usually placed where the flow is prone to seperate from the surface. The "turbulators" are everywhere so they would disturb the flow in critical areas (such as the leading edges of the wing, tail, etc). Sand away!
BillLumberg is offline Find More Posts by BillLumberg
Old Mar 25, 2005, 04:09 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
They look like injection vent holes designed to release pressure evenly when the foam is injected in the mould. The concept kinda reminds me of leaving barnacles on the hull of a boat
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:56 AM
Joined Sep 2004
646 Posts
Thanks for starting a comprehensive and well documented thread. The quality of the pics are excellent. Keep up the good work and please update everyone on any mods. I've been flying my stock EasyStar for about 2 months now and was considering a few mods myself. I will most likely buy another ES soon and use many of your ideas when building it.
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:44 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
I'm back from a long weekend @ Bethany Beach, DE. The weather was not great, but it's the beach and I did find time to do some flying on the fishing only beach. If you have 4wd you can drive out there too. Great place to fly, however, the ocean is not forgiving so it's good to have reliable and well built gear.

The first picture is of my radio/beach bag. Combat Wings Xe2, Unicorn Wing and the Easy Star. The planes are upside down so they don't fly away by themselves. It was windy at about 8 to 12 mph and cool at 48 degrees
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:45 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
second picture is the gang again with the dune and the sign that says "stay off the dune" in the background.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:53 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Here is a shot of the EZ at about 500 feet over the ocean. It flew well I used my 7.4 volt lipoly battery and it had no problem going up. With the throttle chopped the EZ did some great soaring off the wind and lift from the dune and beach. The photo is zoomed in so you can see the plane. Of course there were kids running around asking "hey mister you might crash in the ocean"