Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:59 AM
TND
lift
Portugal
Joined Apr 2004
63 Posts
Step By Step Radio Configuration For Reflex Xtr

Hi,

Just received my new MPX R Evo 9, and Reflex XTR. I'm ordering a Logo20 from hoellein.com, but since I'm new to helis (gliders experience only), I want to start intensively with this simulator.
I've just installed it and plugged it to the radio, and everything works fine. I've already read the radio manual and feel comfortable with it, and also feel comfortable going through radio configuration in XTR.
Problem is I'm really NEW to helis, so I'd need a step by step guide for this.
I need to know which function to assign to each channel (radio). I don't have the slightest idea which stick motion should control which function in a heli. After this I think I'll be able to go through the channel assignment process in XTR.

Could you please help me? I'm really eager for this!

Many thanks in advance,
TND
TND is offline Find More Posts by TND
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:37 AM
Joined Jan 2005
431 Posts
well, it depends on what brand radio you're using. for futaba and hitec, the channels are as follows:
1 - aileron
2 - elevator
3 - throttle
4 - rudder
5 - gyro sens
6 - pitch

as far as stick motions, left stick up and down is pitch/throttle. left stick right/left is rudder. right stick is your cyclic: aileron left/right and elevator up/down. XTR will basically walk you through the radio set-up so you shouldn't have any problems.
Tanner Hall is offline Find More Posts by Tanner Hall
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:28 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , if it makes a difference , my JR 10x is
1 throttle
2 ail
3 elev.
4 rudder
5 gear
6 aux 1 collective
7 aux 2
8 aux 3
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:27 PM
TND
lift
Portugal
Joined Apr 2004
63 Posts
Thanks for the detailed answer.

One doubt remains - when I'm trying to hover at fixed altitude, I must be always puling the left stick forward (positive pitch) and correcting, while maneuvering with the right stick. Is it supposed to be like this?
Also, I don't have any control over the throttle - is it also supposed to be like this?
Note: I've assigned pitch to my left stick up-down.

Again, many thanks in advance.

TND
Last edited by TND; Mar 24, 2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 04:18 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
You will always be correcting some, but it should be basically stable when setup and trimmed.

Yes, the throttle should remian at one RPM and you fly with the pitch.

What mode do others fly in your area?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
TND
lift
Portugal
Joined Apr 2004
63 Posts
There are no "others" in my area.
I've already made it. Problem was I was using auto-neutralizing on both sticks... My ignorance, but reflex should really have some kind of step by step tutorial for beginners.

Btw I find it near impossible to have the heli hold still in the air. Is it supposed to be like this? For instance, I already manage to fly it inside that indoors gym scenario, but, as an example, I find it hard to land it on a pre-determined precise spot.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:53 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
thats normal , its not easy to learn helis , but we were all there where you are at one time or another
just dont give up , try to learn how to hover only , and take steps , try not to learn it all at one time , its to mind bogling
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:31 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TND
Btw I find it near impossible to have the heli hold still in the air. Is it supposed to be like this? For instance, I already manage to fly it inside that indoors gym scenario, but, as an example, I find it hard to land it on a pre-determined precise spot.
A feature you may find useful is the Hover Training mode. You can choose what controls you want to work on, and Reflex will fly the rest for you, keeping the heli steady on those controls. eg. if you want to start out learning just left/right cyclic in a tail-in hover, you can do that. It lets you get used to one control at a time and later you can start adding the rest.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon