HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:29 PM
MRI
Engineered RC Products
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Scott,

Check out the latest Quiet Flyer (October) issue and the article "Test Equipment - the Key to Good Analysis" on page 66.

Regards,

MRI
MRI is offline Find More Posts by MRI
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2007, 09:25 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,887 Posts
I just tried the brushless motor RPM phase sensor. It is superb! With a resolution of 25rpm it finally allows accurate RPM readings to be easily and quickly taken. Well done Medusa!

I really must setup a dynamometer this winter. The PA Pro with RPM and thrust (force) cell really makes the measurement easy.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:08 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Great piece of kit, well imprssed with it

Is there a way to print direct from the software ?

Ronnie
mallettron is offline Find More Posts by mallettron
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:33 AM
MRI
Engineered RC Products
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallettron
Is there a way to print direct from the software ?
Ronnie
What do you wish to print?
If you want to print a graph then yes, you can print it from the software.
Right click on the graph, select the export dialog option, set the Export Destination to printer and click print.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Jeff
Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:06 PM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Thanks for that, looked in all the help files and couldnt find it, next question, is it possible to reduce the size of the y axis labels, they seem to take up a large amount of screen space

Thanks again

Ronnie
Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:04 PM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Hi there, started doing some testing, already had to dodge 3 propellers and douse 1 smoking speed 400 motor, great fun

Another question (I know there probably more to come), while testing a speed 400 for my MiniMag (I have a speed 400 and a Kontronic Rondo ESC) I noticed that the graph for the RPM drops down, but not the thrust!. Ive also tried the same motor with a 6x5.5 and it does the same, yet with a normal speed 400 and a different ESC it doesnt do it, any ideas

Ronnie
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:27 PM
MRI
Engineered RC Products
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible to reduce the size of the y axis labels, they seem to take up a large amount of screen space
Yes, double click on the title or any blank area to get the customization menu. If you don't need a subtitle then blank it out to get more room at the top. at the bottom of the general tab you will see font size (Large, Medium, Small). Select small and click apply and ok. Save your graph to retain the setting or you can set the PowerPROview option to always create a new graph using the small font from the File|Options item and the Graph Defaults tab, General section.

Regards,

MRI
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:45 PM
MRI
Engineered RC Products
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Another question (I know there probably more to come), while testing a speed 400 for my MiniMag (I have a speed 400 and a Kontronic Rondo ESC) I noticed that the graph for the RPM drops down, but not the thrust!. Ive also tried the same motor with a 6x5.5 and it does the same, yet with a normal speed 400 and a different ESC it doesnt do it, any ideas.
That is a strange result but it looks like an error reading the RPM since the thrust did not drop. What RPM sensor are you using? What are the sensor settings?

Regards,

MRI
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:13 AM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI
Yes, double click on the title or any blank area to get the customization menu. If you don't need a subtitle then blank it out to get more room at the top. at the bottom of the general tab you will see font size (Large, Medium, Small). Select small and click apply and ok. Save your graph to retain the setting or you can set the PowerPROview option to always create a new graph using the small font from the File|Options item and the Graph Defaults tab, General section.

Regards,

MRI
Its already set at small but still takes up a lot of the screen (1280x1024 display)
Wish list: coloured scales and text corresponding to the graph?

Ronnie
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:27 AM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI
That is a strange result but it looks like an error reading the RPM since the thrust did not drop. What RPM sensor are you using? What are the sensor settings?

Regards,

MRI
Its the optical sensor (the brushless rpm one is on its way, its been a week since ordering but I know how long it takes to get here from over there )

Sensor settings are, optical, 2 blade, 25 rpm resolution

I cant really understand why its only the Kontronics ESC that does it, my other brushed controllers dont show this problem (the 2 graphs with different ESC shows it)

Soon I will be moving over to Brushless so it will not be used as much

Thanks for the replies

Ronnie
Old Dec 02, 2007, 10:07 AM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Hi its me again

Is it possible to design the waveform so it mimics, say a 5 mins flight (full throttle, cruising round, landing etc), this could be an interesting feature especially if it links up with Oracle so you can replay flights on the bench

Ronnie
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:53 AM
MRI
Engineered RC Products
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Hi its me again

Is it possible to design the waveform so it mimics, say a 5 mins flight (full throttle, cruising round, landing etc), this could be an interesting feature especially if it links up with Oracle so you can replay flights on the bench

Ronnie
It would be possible to do that but it would require changes in the program.

Our next release (hopefully around the end of this year) has the playback function.
This will allow you to playback a Pro test run or actual flight data recorded with the Oracle.

Regards,

MRI
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
The brushless speed sensor arrive today so Im going to have a play this weekend. Do you want to give a clue as to whats in it, my brother has some large motors and the connectors are 4mm, not sure about putting 3.5mm's in 4mm's?

Ronnie
Thanks again
Old Dec 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
MRI
Engineered RC Products
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
My brother has some large motors and the connectors are 4mm, not sure about putting 3.5mm's in 4mm's on the RPM Sensor?
Ronnie, the wire connecting the RPM sensor to the motor is just a sense wire to the signal in the motor wire and does not carry any current.
If you have several sizes of connectors that you use then you can cut the wire between the the existing 3.5mm connectors and reconnect it with a single pin connector (see pics). We use 2.0mm male & female connctors and cover them with heat shrink. Then you can have different "taps" with different size connectors with each one plugging into the RPM sensor connector (see pics). Use the male pin on the sensor side and the female on the motor tap side.

Regards,

MRI
Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:17 AM
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Thanks, such teriffic information and help

Ronnie