HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:25 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
panel lines and weathering

I am looking for different technics for panel lining and weathering planes. If you can help please add athread and possible pictures. Thanks Dave
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2005, 01:26 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I did a mean and dirty job one one plane using a silver pen and some silver spray - panel lines in pen, and wethering with a disting over of spray.

Looks OK from a reasonable distance. None of it shows up in the air...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:09 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You'll get better response in one of our Scale Modeling forums.. I'll move this over..
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:23 AM
Antwerp Deurne, Belgium
Joined Dec 2003
165 Posts
Try these by J Morgan:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161218
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=weathering

Propeller
Propeller is offline Find More Posts by Propeller
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:33 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,002 Posts
Covered the 109 in foil tape, painted , and weathered, but it is subtle and does not translate too well to pictures. Will snap some closer ones later today for you.
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:05 AM
TerryM
United States, AR, Heber Springs
Joined Sep 2001
729 Posts
I have used a #2 lead pencil for panel lines. (sharpness of pencil to vary
line width). After drawing lines you can "smudge" the lines to create some
some oil streeks weathering etc.
orectolobus is offline Find More Posts by orectolobus
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:47 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,501 Posts
On larger scale models I use the Chart Pak tape and primer method, though it may be too prominent in the smaller scales. Hatches are nicely simulated with thin vinyl or Monokote cut to shape. I will be doing panel lines in the near future on a small Yak and am considering either just inking them on, or possibly using some type of scribing tool to scratch them into the primer coat before final painting. There are many ways of doing weathering, depending on what it is you are trying to duplicate. Chipped and scuffed paint can be simulated with a short bristled, stiff paint brush by using the stippling method. Also, chips can be simulated by painting a silver base coat and then applying melted wax where you want your chipping. Paint the final coats over the wax and then remove with tape or by scraping away the wax. Faded paint is easily simulated with an airbrush by applying slightly lighter shades of the base color. Alternatively, you can spray black over your panel lines before the final coats of paint which makes them more prominent. (if your final colors are light you may want to use gray or some color other than full strength black) Rubbing the final color coats with very fine steel wool does a nice job of simulating wear and faded paint, and also brings out the surface detail. However, not all types of paint take well to the steel wool method so run some tests first! Grease and grime are easily represented by applying a thinned wash of dirty black, brown, or gray and then wiping with a solvent soaked rag. Wipe in the direction of the airflow on flying surfaces and from the top down on the fuselage for best results. Again, test to make sure your finished paint can stand up to being gently wiped with thinner without being removed entirely! Or, use a solvent based paint for your color coats and weather with a water based paint. This is acceptable where fuel proofing is not necessary. (arenít electrics wonderful!) This is just the tip of the weathering iceberg really. I suggest a visit to a plastic modeling site such as www.hyperscale.com. Check out the various articles in the archive for some outstanding tips on creating a weathered finish. Some of these plastic model guys are achieving astonishing results using methods that are quite ingenious. Best of luck, Chad Veich.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:42 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Thanks Mister Moderator. And thanks for all the tips guys. Dave
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:37 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Point: "none of it shows up in the air"... I had a rivetcounter ragging on me about some detail or another, so I launched the model and when it was 30' up, I said, "oh, yeah, that looks COMPLETELY wrong, alright". End of conversation.

A buddy of mine did all his panel stuff with his spray gun. He would paint his model in the appropriate colour, then with masks, he would repaint with the same paint with a drop or two of black (or white, depending) added. The effect was perfect, as close to photos of full-size as possible.

I tried this technique with wing ribs on an all-sheet wing; a couple of drops of white to the base colour, a mask that I moved after each pass, and when it was finished, guys would run their finger over the wing becasue they didn't believe it was actually a sheet surface.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:34 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,002 Posts
Good ideas. Subtlety is key. Overdone, and it looks like a cartoon.
Here is closer shot of the Bf109 ....
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:37 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,667 Posts
Nice work, Mark. One of these days I'm going to have to get me an airbrush!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:40 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,002 Posts
Why? I don't have one. What you see is from a spray bomb can of Perfect Paint, RLM colors. Markings are taped off from frisket paper and sprayed from flat white and flat black Testors.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,684 Posts
Mark, how are your rivets done? BTW, your planes always look great!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:01 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,002 Posts
Rivets are done with a dressmakers wheel. Panel lines are done with the foil panels, per full scale, or with a clay pick used for clay modeling. Chipped paint is scraped with X-Acto, or in some areas sandpaper. Thanks for compliments, Porty!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:25 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
That's the problem with us, scale buffs: we need scale as far as it can go, but you will never notice while flying.

Up to what degree of precission scale we want? It depends on every builder. Take me for example, I hate going into cockpit detailing, I rather put som silhouettes inside and darken the canopy., because I know it will only be noticed from very close range.

However I love panel lines and rivets, but you will also never notice them in flight.

We scale buffs are in serious conflict sometimes.
inedesca is offline Find More Posts by inedesca