HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2005, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Another thing about Sermos?PP is that you can pair up the connectors in a weird orientation to prevent acciddental plug-ins and they come in about a dozen colours, even pink!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2005, 06:45 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
rilysi wrote:
Why? A major weakness of the Deans Ultra is the fact that it needs heatshrink to insulate the connections. A second is that when trying to tug apart the rather tight-fitting connectors, it is very difficult to avoid applying mechanical stress to the soldered connections, a big no-no in the electronics world, as solder is quite weak mechanically. AFAIK, Powerpoles are free of both these issues.

I have already been bitten once by the first of these two weaknesses in the Deans Ultra. The heatshrink on one terminal managed to move a fraction - maybe 1/32 inch - and then that tiny exposed sliver of metal managed to contact one of the jumper pins on my Apache 2500 lipo charger. Those pins go directly to the onboard microprocessor (PIC), and they do not take well to 8.4V being applied to them. Hey presto, my charger suddenly transformed into a paperweight.

I think your trick of using liquid electrical tape rather than heatshrink will reduce the chances of this sort of thing happening, but having been bitten once, I'm reluctant to risk it happening again.

-Flieslikeabeagle

I use Deans Ultra connectors almost exclusively. After Soldering and heatshrinking them, i drip hot glue (NOTE: BE CAREFUL AS GLUE GUNS HAVE METAL NOZZLES AND COULD SHORT!) DRIP hot glue inbetween the + and - and then build up some more hot glue around the area which makes a good strong mechanical joint to pull on.
It doesn't look the greatest but it definately works and stops the heatshrink from moving.

Richard.
Roti is offline Find More Posts by Roti
Old Jun 09, 2005, 12:13 PM
Belleville, IL
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
I picked up a bag of dust caps used to cover the cut ends of wire shelving at Lowes. They fit the polarized connectors perfectly. I picked up 2 colors, one for charged and the other for discharged. Total cost about $12.00 for the 2 bags, for a life time supply!!

I used the small polarized connectors on all 2 cell packs, and deans ultras on all 3 cell packs. It also makes double checking charger settings more intuitive based on the connector.

Dale
dwentz is offline Find More Posts by dwentz
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:12 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Geesh. I wondered if the micro Deans were safe, and now I found these old threads. I wish the Micro Deans were miniature versions of the Deans Ultras (connectors at 90 degreees to each other). Harder for them to accidentally stick into the wrong hole when they are jostling/moving around in a bag; etc in your car. Also, the female/receptor sides need to be recessed farther into the housing so they are protected.

Or make them more like JSTs - cover the inserting/exposed pins and call that the female connector.

This is insane - I can't find a good connector for 2-10 amps! I use Ultra Deans for over 10A.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:51 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
This is insane - I can't find a good connector for 2-10 amps! I use Ultra Deans for over 10A.
I use MP Jet Gold Connectors exclusively - even the tiny 1.8mm are good for 25A. Using thread protectors (Post #14) ensures they can't short out.

The polarized 3-pin MicroDeans are okay.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 01, 2006, 09:19 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,861 Posts
I use APP connectors and crimp them wherever possible. Quick, safe, and reliable. No heat shrink required, no special tools or tricks to get them apart, and no polarization issues.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Dec 01, 2006, 09:59 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
IMO, the micro dean's polarized are good connectors for 2-10 amps. Like everything electric, you have to be careful. Little rubber caps work excellent and I have them on all my little packs. I've never had a problem.

Matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Dec 02, 2006, 03:03 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
I bought four of the 1/4" screw caps for 16 cents each at Ace Hardware in case I decide to use the Dean's micro. Another idea I have is to glue a 1/4" hose (or cut the end of the screw cap off) onto one connector to make it more like a JST. The battery ought to have the tube over it, to make it a female.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block