HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2002, 02:32 AM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Just finished a couple of Tom Hunt's designs

I just finished an Elipstick 700 and a Watter. Both Tom Hunt "Stick" designs. Neither one has flown yet. Elipstick has an Astro 05 Cobalt and is covered with Micafilm. Watter has a sp 480 and is covered with Litespan (with a couple of thinned coats of dope for extra waterproofing. Will see how they fly soon.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2002, 02:34 AM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Here is the Watter
Gerry
Old Mar 28, 2002, 05:29 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
wow, looks great.

looking forward to hearing your flight report regarding the elipstik 700. what battery pack will you be using ? how hard was it to build ?

Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Mar 28, 2002, 09:37 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Watter

Could be the angle of the photo, but am I seeing down-thrust in the Watter??? Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Mar 28, 2002, 12:12 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Good job on the Elipstik and the Watter. I agree with Alan, when you get one ModelAirTech plane, you can't stop building them, you need more. I have 5 MA-T planes currently flying.
Let us know how the Elipstik 700 Flies. I've been thinking about getting that kit. I had an 460 that flew great but flight times were to short and it didn't like being heavy, and my 260 never did fly that well.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Mar 28, 2002, 12:28 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,265 Posts
Planes or Pringles ???

Tom's designs are like pringles.....once you start you just cant stop !!!

IMO the 700 elipstik is the best of breed

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Mar 28, 2002, 08:09 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,060 Posts
Ryan, I wish your 460 looked like Gerry's 700. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 28, 2002, 10:57 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Thanks for the good words guys. I have the same problem with Tom's designs, I can't quit. I built 2 of the Elipstick 460s, 2 of the Elipstick 280s, a Tumblewatt, F-117 Nitestick and a Dimwatt. Its so neat to take a sheet of 1/8 balsa, strip it into sticks and make a good flying airplane. Only problem I had with the Elipstick 700 was the long, unsupported upper rib caps. They would snap any time I put any pressure on them - so I had to add some vertical supports between the upper and lower caps. Also on the elevons, when I built them out of 1/8 stock and then sanded both sides to smooth for covering, the net thickness was closer to 1/16. This made the elevons very flimsy for covering with Micafilm and they would twist and warp. I made the second set out of 3/16 and when I sanded them they were just over 1/8. This was much more rigid and did not warp when covered. Finally, the Watter has no downthrust. The picture makes it look that way.
Gerry
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:53 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Great looking planes, Gerry! Have you flown the Watter yet? Is it all strip wood including the underside of the fuse? I'm wondering how well an open bay structure stands up to water takeoffs and landings. Keep up the good work!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 30, 2002, 12:16 AM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Thanks Greg. Yes, I have flown the Watter- once. Not off water though. Tried a hand launch and it flew away nicely. Got it up high and tried a stall and it fell off on one wing pretty bad. Had to be careful landing it to avoid letting airspeed get too low. I checked the wings for straightness and added a little washout. That should fix it. Havn't found a good spot to fly off water yet.
Gerry
Old Mar 30, 2002, 06:10 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Watter goes a treat of the water. On both of mine i have put a diagonal stik on each side from the bottom of the front windshield to the bottom of what would be f1. Cause the nose crumples very easily else. My watters also do great slide and goes on grass.
The second one even does ROG from grass.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW