HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2005, 07:20 PM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Georgia, USA
Joined Oct 2003
78 Posts
Magnets on Hacker 20-20L

Ok, I zigged instead of zagged and learned a valuable lesson. Unfortunately my Tiburon bipe didn't make it! The pro force wings are tuff but I needed a pro force fuze too! LOL.

Question?

I knocked one of the magnets loose on my Hacker when it hit the hard ground at 20 mph! None of the magnets seem to be glued down though and the one I knocked around went back where it belonged without a hitch and runs fine. They all sit in channels it seems. Should I tack them down with some CA?

Craig
psk560 is offline Find More Posts by psk560
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2005, 09:24 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
definitely
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:00 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Craig,

We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate crash. The Hacker A20 series magnets come both fixed mechanically and with clear magnetic adhesive. It is necessary that those magnets be glued down. We suggest that you use a 2 part epoxy (the 30 minute type), or you may send it to us and we will repair it for a nominal charge. If you decide to send your motor in, you may print out our repair form at http://www.hackerbrushless.com/contact.shtml , please include this form with your motor.

Best Regards,

Kyna Veatch
Office Manager
Aero-Model/Hacker Brushless USA
kyna is offline Find More Posts by kyna
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:10 AM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Georgia, USA
Joined Oct 2003
78 Posts
Wow. I didn't think it was a big deal. Two part epoxy. Should I remove the entire magnet or just put some at the end. I thought thin CA would wick on down there and hold it tight. Thanks for your help.

Craig
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Craig,

We are always happy to assist our customers.

C/A has a tendancy to be brittle on metal to magnet bonds. The epoxy will form a stronger bond in this application. Only a very small amount of epoxy should be used between the outside can and the outside curve of the magnet. Clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol to insure proper bond. Feel free to send your motor to us to make the repair for a nominal fee.

Best Regards,

Kyna Veatch
Office Manager
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:45 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
I've used CA with good results on several motors. Epoxy would be much better, but if you don't have epoxy..... Sending it back in for repair would be a little extreme since you've allready identified the problem and the solution.
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 02:58 PM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Georgia, USA
Joined Oct 2003
78 Posts
One last question before I glue. Should I worry about the clearance between the magnets and the stator with the addition of some glue. I know you said a little bit.

Craig
Old Mar 21, 2005, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Craig,

There needs to be the same amount of clearance as the adjecent magnets. The best way to acheive this, would be to use a clamp (such as a modified clothes pin) to hold the magnet in place.

Again, our goal is to get your motor running properly as soon as possible. Please feel free to send it in to our repair department for a nominal fee.

Sincerely,

Kyna Veatch
Office Manager
Old Mar 21, 2005, 03:47 PM
Clear Lake City Metroport, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
Also, make sure you tighten the set screw good and tight with some loctite on it when you put the shaft back in. I have had the shaft pull out TWICE in flight. I ended up grinding a flat spot on the shaft where the set screw would sit and using thick CA on the threads when I scrwed it back in. This is a poor design, Hacker. The second time it happened, It tore the motor off of the plane. And I had just tightened it down HARD before the flight. There needs to be a groove on the back end of the shaft so that a clip can be placed there.
pimmer is offline Find More Posts by pimmer
Old Mar 21, 2005, 08:21 PM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Georgia, USA
Joined Oct 2003
78 Posts
Kyna,

Thanks a bunch. The repair took all of 30 minutes going slow and easy. I found 4 loose magnets after tearing the motor apart. No biggie. Cleaned the can and magnets with alcohol as you stated and had to be careful not to erase the red (north/south marks I believe) marks on the magnets. Just a bit of 30 minute epoxy, place and press. Now, wait till morning to put it together and get another plane built! LOL. Working on a 3dfoamy raven next. My absolute favorite foamie so I can't wait to see this kind of power on it. LOL.

Craig

before and after I think: