HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:03 AM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Switch from Brushed/KAN to chinese brushless/Lipo

One of the planes I've been flying is a E-Starter with a GWS C gear and 10x6 GWS prop using KAN 1050s. And would be lucky to get 5 minute flights.

Well, I swapped out the motor with a 12 T chinese special
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
Put on a APC 8x3.8 slow flyer prop.

Also put on a MaxAmps 1650 (and 2250 in a later test) 3S lipo.

Had more speed, more excess power (rate of climb), and obviously lower throttle.

I had done bench testing and timed/verified how much time an 8 amp draw would take to drop down to LVC. But, in flight, turns out I was using far less power. I stopped flying after 10 minutes. The charger put back in 660mah.
Assume I may be a 'minute' off in my flight time, so my actual amp draw in flight was around 4 amps.

This combo is potentially bumping flight times up from 5-ish minutes to 20-25 minutes with far more performance.

I predict far more brushless motor purchases and MaxAmp Lipo purchases in my future.

I do have concerns in that the prop shaft is so long. I remember from the GWS days, prop shafts get bent when you look at them wrong.

Has anyone else used these chinese brushless motors and had any problems with the length of the shaft? What did you do with it?
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
to remove ads between posts