HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:01 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
EWO's F-16 revisted

I performed my first 'lipo' flight today. with a Himax 4100 motor in a GWS gearbox and a couple O rings. C gearing and a 9x7 prop, with maxamps 1650 (3 cell).

It's so 'nimble' it's scary. Actually, stopped flying after about 5 minutes because I was afraid I'd plow it into the ground.

It has little mass and Inertia about the 'roll' axis, that it'll roll something fierce if you give it enough ailerons.

The one I built, I did with only ailerons and elevators. And I'm still using my starter radio (GWS dream starter), so I don't have rates set on the ailerons to keep the behavior 'non twitchy'. It's a completely different plane with a brushless and lipo batteries. Thrust Weight, well in excess of one. And I didn't even go full throttle (likely 8 amps, with full throttle around 9.7-9.8 amps).

This thing is so nimble, that I actually sorta dream for a slightly less nimble craft. I'm tempted to increase the wing size (say, go for an F-15 section).

Has anyone considered 'trailing wings' (Like training wheels, but different). What I mean, has anyone put small weights on the tips of the wing to increase the rolling inertia to slow down the twitchi-ness? Or has everyone else already bought computer radios, and have good enough reflexes to handle it?
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2005, 07:49 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
I have built so many of these things , and none of them have had the caracteristics you are discribing, well yea the first one did, at 17" and a terrible auw, it didnt fly well

I made improvements to the plans since then and theye are all great flyers

I particually like the j250 version

have fun and keep the sunny side up

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:01 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Again, it may simply be the difference in skill between someone with '274 posts' and '2,254 posts'
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:22 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Naw, post count dont mean nothing, it just makes me a loud mouth

i have been flying for many years and thats what makes the difference

i have flown many different kinds of craft and am i think prolific in the hobby
it just comes naturally to me now as it will to you sooner or later

just keep poking the great minds here on ezone and you will also come into your own !!and i am still using the dream starter from gws, I love it and if things are set right , it works great on my f-16's

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
EWO, are you still using Nimhs? When I use Nimhs, it's a completely different beast. Far more tame, (time constant for any manuveur is greater because the mass/inertia is larger).

Just curious again, where you do put your CG. There's the location of the 'first bump' and the 'second bump' in the front of the wing. Where do you put your CG in relation to these 'bumps'?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Possible 'nimbleness' issue reasoning . ..

I have my batteries attached 'above the wing', instead of below. That lowers that position of the wing with respect to the CG, therefore the thing will roll (over) more easily.

I'm just fearful of putting lipos on the underside, for fear of damage on landing.