HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2005, 01:51 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Good Service........Bad Service........

First off, I know you guys have heard this a bunch of times before but I just gotta say it again. The service that I have received from both Doug and Karen over at Mountain Models has been nothing short of fantastic. I never built a balsa plane before, so I had a bunch of questions. The questions I had does not reflect on the great instructions that came with the plane or the ease of build. It's just that I've never built anything in my life and have a tough time screwing in lightbulbs, but anytime I emailed Doug with a question, I got a response back in no less than 10 minutes, and most times in less than 5. Amazing..............I've been in the retail business owning a 40 store retail chain for over 30 years and I know good customer service when I see it....................I can't recommend Mountain Models high enough. They will literally walk you through the build process if need be...........Great job guys.

Also, I recently purchased some product from Jerry over at gwsexpert.com. Again, great service, great prices. They will go out of their way to make you a satisfied customer.

Now the bad. I ordered a few of the Himaxx Brushless/Phoenix combo's from Northeas Sailplanes. On their site it specifically said that the 2025/4266 comes completly assembled with motor and gearbox. It even said, "completly assembled" in itallics. When I received the product, it was NOT completly assembled but came in two different boxes, one with the motor and the other with the gearbox. Ok, not a really big deal, but...............their site said it came completly assembled and it didn't so I thought I'd give them a call. I asked the lady that answered the phone about it, and she said, no, that's the way they come. I mentioned that that's not how they advertise it on their site. She immediatly said, "Do you want to return them?" I said no, just trying to figure out what the story is here. Being that I've never put one of these motors together before, I was just inquiring. She then just handed the phone over to guy without saying something like, "Sorry for the misunderstanding. Let me get someone else to help ya out." Nothing..............so this guy gets on the phone, and I mention to him what happened and he said that that's just the way they come. I said that that's not how you advertised it. He asked, so what's the problem? I said that I'm pretty new to all this and I wasn't expecting to have to assemble the motor. His next response almost had me falling off my chair. He said, "Well then, maybe you shouldn't be in this hobby?"

Now maybe he was just joking...........don't know, but I DO know that I would never have received this kind of comment or service from either Doug or Karen at Mountain Models or from Jerry as GWSEXPERT. If this same thing happened with them, I have no doubt that they one, would have apologized for the miscommunication in their advertising and two, would have probably said something like, "Tell ya what. We'll send ya another one out that is completely assembled as per our advertising and as soon as you get it, send the other two parts back to us. We'll send you out a prepaid sticker to take care of the postage."

Got a great deal regarding price on these packages from NES, but it is the last thing that I will ever buy from them.

And regarding MM, I know that I will be purchasing other planes from them to follow up on my initial Switchback purchase, and Jerry at GWSEXPERT will see me again.

Good customer service is the backbone of any business. Some obviously do it better than others. NES has much to learn.
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Last edited by Cal; Mar 19, 2005 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2005, 01:58 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
That's completely typical for NES. Do a search and you will find that same story repeated over and over.

Also, I totally agree about Mountain Models being outstanding.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 19, 2005, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2004
67 Posts
Hmmm. This is interesting since I recently ordered the same item from them (it was sold as a special package deal with an ESC). Both the motor and gearbox (i.e. the Himax 2025-4266) arrived assembled in a single plastic case.
MOSHEE is offline Find More Posts by MOSHEE
Old Mar 19, 2005, 02:22 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Yeah, Moshee, I bought that same special package deal also. I just received it yesterday. Guess they ran out of the pre-assembled packages.

It's just how they handled this situation that really pisses me off........No apologies, no suggestions to make it right, no comment like "Sorry for the inconvience. It's just that we ran out of the pre-assembled packages. If you would like to wait for a week or so, we will be getting more of them in and we will do an exchange for you if you like." Nothing.............just an off-the wall comment like "Well, if you have a concern about it not coming assembled, than you shouldn't be in this hobby". While that may be true, that is NOT what you tell a customer.......
Old Mar 19, 2005, 02:32 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
That's completely typical for NES. Do a search and you will find that same story repeated over and over.

WoW !!!!........I just did an NES search. Damn.........should have done this search BEFORE I purchased anything from them
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:13 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,646 Posts
CAL, Recieving a product different than advertised and complaining about it shows that you have attention to detail and quality which is required to be in the hobby, not the contrary!

My one order with NES to broke records for slow service--I believe it was 10 days or so. To their credit, they have some good prices and selection.

Mountain Models has provided the fastest delivery of all mail order companies I've dealt with.

StevensAero is somewhat slower, but has IMO the finest balsa kits and great selection of accessories (solarfilm, hacker etc.).

-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Last edited by Griffin; Mar 19, 2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:27 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,917 Posts
I have had several less than stellar encounters with NESail. I only deal with them on a RARE occasion when they have an exclusive or a REALLY good deal. They do carry lots of nice parkie stuff but it is not worth dealing with thier screw-ups and terrible customer service attitude and extremely poor communications.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Mar 19, 2005, 09:00 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Yeah, I should have done a search or at least asked you guys about them before making a purchase. All the other advice that I have received here has been fantastic. Why I didn't do that? Guess I got all caught up in what a great deal it was that they were advertising. These brushless motors packaged with a Phoenix 25 for a 100 bucks. Just couldn't pass it up. Funny though......they said on their site when I ordered the product that the shipping would be 5 bucks. When I got the package, they ended up charging me 8 bucks.

Listen, I'm not complaining about having to screw in a few screws into a gear box, and neither am I complaining about a few dollars in shipping. It's just the principle of the thing. If you're gonna advertise a product, then sell what you advertise. If you quote 5 bucks for shipping, don't charge 8. And if ya get called on it, at least have the guts to apologize................
Old Mar 19, 2005, 09:59 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,818 Posts
I'm the same way as you are about principle, Cal. It's too bad for them, but I'll also not buy from them. There are plenty of other places to buy from that will give you at least a baseline level of service. I'm not about to waste my time with people who won't make good on the screw ups.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:01 PM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase

ditto
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
I've been buying from Doug for better than two years. Never called him. Only had a few e-mail exchanges with him. My dedication to Mountain Models comes from reading posts such as yours. Years ago I was a balsa builder. Got married and left the hobby for 18 years. When I got back in I bought a Slow Stick and a Crazy Max. I missed building and did some research. Started reading all the good things about Doug here on the E-Zone. My first balsa parkflyer was a SwitchBack based on what I had read about the plane but more importantly about Doug and his customer service. Since then I've been trying to collect almost every balsa kit he has. I maidened SwitchBack #6 last weekend. 2 Dandy's, FlashBack, Tantrum, Cessna 180, 2 MiniFlashes. Heck, I even have an Urban Flyer kit! I've never needed his customer service but just knowing it's there if I need it is why I continue to buy Mountain Models. The highlight of my RC experiences was actually meeting him at the Arizona Electric Festival. The guy is for real. None of what he posts or what others post about him is B.S. He really does care about a customers success. A lot of other vendors could really learn something from him.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:12 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Joe, Karen and Doug KNOW what it takes to build a business and word of mouth is not only the cheapest form of advertising, but it is the most effective. I truly wish them nothing but the best, and I too will definatly be purchasing more planes from them.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:01 AM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Joe, you have an Urban Flyer? There aren't too many of them out there now. Sorry that I missed meeting you in AZ.
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:13 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I also have nothing but very good things to say about the crew at Mountain Models.com. As soon as I can swindle some more money out of the wife I will be purchasing a Panic from the boys at Mountain models as my next model.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Mar 20, 2005, 01:35 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I'm moving this to the vendor talk forum.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter