HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:40 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
Rave
looking to get into formula 1 pylon racing

i'm a total newb when it comes to pylon racing and i was hoping to get a forumla 1 to add to my hangar and i need a bunch of advice on which plane to get that's easy to fly and fast. i am a good pilot like almost pro so i can handle a pylon acer prolly. thanks, ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2005, 01:59 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,523 Posts
First of all, Formula one racing no longer exists as an AMA racing class. I'm not even sure you could find a kit available, but try E-bay. Some one may be trying to get rid of one. I suspect you want to "wet" power it right? If so this question/thread would have to be moved. There are a number of pylon guys in Phoenix you could ask. I suggest you first join the NMPRA or go to www.nmpra.org

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Mar 21, 2005, 09:22 PM
Andover
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
There are a few racers in the Surprise/Phoenix area that fly at the Speedworld club there. They fly Q40's and Q500's. Not many Formula planes around any more. That would be a good place to start. A quick search on Google should find there site. I've flow there a few times, and its a nice field with some real great people.
daven is offline Find More Posts by daven
Old Mar 21, 2005, 09:45 PM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
Yep. Formula 1's are from bygone days. Now we have the Q40's which are faster still.

To get started though. Try getting a Quickie 500. The Viper and the Predator are both excellent little birds. Cheap. And they hustle if you put the right motor on them. Theyll give you a great taste of pylon.

Really no need to start out with a composite Q40 and and a jett or nelson motor. The quickies (Q500) will give you the same thrill starting out. You can clip the wings and add more power if you aren't racing in a class. They will haul.

Have a blast, it is quite a great rush.

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws
Old Mar 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2004
8 Posts
Ryan,

You need to make a trip out to the Speedworld Flying field (your lucky there is such a place so close to you!)and get with some of the racers there. http://www.speedworldrcf.com and see whats up.

Here are some pics of a club race:
http://www.speedworldrcf.com/day_at_...club_race.html
Slotrc is offline Find More Posts by Slotrc