HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2005, 07:34 AM
New Delhi, India
Joined Mar 2005
31 Posts
Wattage Cessna 180 - RTF for $119 on Tower

Wattage Cessna 180 - RTF for $119 on Tower

Hi Guys,
I am venturing into electrics for the first time and have ordered this lil plane. I just could'nt resist the 119$ RTF on Tower!!!
I have been flying various Glow and gasoline planes for about 7 years now and
my basic reason of getting this plane was to be able to fly after work on weekdays in a park next to my house. My flying field is too far from my place and I can go there only on weekends.
I needed your inputs on this plane. The price seems too good to be true with all thats thrown in!!! Is there some catch here?? How does this plane handle in the air in moderate wind conditions? Backyard-flyer magazine gave it a pretty good review.

Cheers
lavneet_gyani is offline Find More Posts by lavneet_gyani
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:29 PM
scooter
columbia, sc
Joined Feb 2005
136 Posts
wish i had one or knew someone who has one so i could tell you firsthand. i had the wattage extra 300 (the little one) and it flew like a pine cone. i asked the same question back when i got it, all i got out of this crowd of elitists was nothing. i tried several times, reposting the question and got nothing. apparently this snobby crowd doesn't have time to reply to a glow power flier!!!
scottiejay350 is offline Find More Posts by scottiejay350
Old Mar 20, 2005, 05:58 AM
New Delhi, India
Joined Mar 2005
31 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply!!
All I needed to know from the electric guys was if this thing would fly. I really can't understand why you had that experience. Hopefully, yours was a one-off case and I do get some useful replies.
Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:34 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Lavneet, Welcome to the E Zone!

I think you'll find that questions about some of these planes get few replies not because people here are snobby elitists, but because the planes are such poor fliers that not many people fly them, and the folks that did buy them figure if you can't say something nice it's better to say nothing at all.

I haven't flown a Wattage RTF but have owned three Wattage ARF's. They were okay planes but not great. Looking at the ad on Tower I would say that the Wattage 180 will not be a good plane for what you are looking for.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGDW6&P=ML

At 6 ounces it is not going to be very capable in moderate winds, and probably won't be able to handle much over dead calm.

Since you have expericence flying and probably own a transmitter or two why not get an ARF? I would highly recommend the GWS Pico Tigermoth. At 8 to 9 ounces it doesn't like much wind either but it a great little airplane and has a lot of fans here, including me. The TM is easy to build, can be modded or left stock. And looks right at home puttering around the local park. If you have a tx all you would need is the kit and a flight pack with 2 servos, a speed control, receiver and battery pack.
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...products_id=56

If you really want to go with an RTF probably the best one would be a Parkzone Cub or Decathalon. They fly a little faster so handle wind better. There are a number of complaints about radio gear problems (very common with 27Mhz RTFs). But it seems the majority of Parkzone owners are having good luck.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...&OverallCatID=

Oh, and don't believe everything you read in Backyard Flyer. I've never seen a critical review, and don't think they will ever publish one for fear of upsetting their advertisers. There have been quite a few planes they gave excellent reviews to that turned out to be complete duds.

Best of luck,

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:37 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Whoops, I just noticed you said you already ordered it. In that case feel free to disregard the above remarks.

Please let us know your impressions and how it compares to the Backyard Flyer review.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 20, 2005, 01:54 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I've talked to a couple of people who have owned and fly (flown) them.

For the most part they actually fly pretty good. Not a lack of, or excess of power, but enough to get the job done.

This is a very small and light weight airplane made from EPS. Definately made to be flown on calm days and I doubt will survive for many of the rough landings that beginners tend to have.

Radio system on 27 band, makes it succeptible to interferance from nearby R/C Car drivers.

Good news is replacement parts are availible at reasonable prices, so it can easily be rebuilt if desired.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Mar 20, 2005, 02:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
for $20 more dollars you could have gotten a sky-scooter pro2 RTF,,wiht everyhting needed to fly,,and a 72mhz transmiiter system to boot...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:51 AM
New Delhi, India
Joined Mar 2005
31 Posts
Hi all and thanks for those replies!!
Yes I have already ordered that plane.Hopefully, it will fly OK. I am actually looking for a relaxing flier(the gassers give me enough blood pressure problems )I do have a 9CAP but $119 included a Tx, Flight pack and plane....and I would have paid about that much for a flight pack alone.
I might however order more ARF's with esc's and battery packs in the future to use with this same radio gear(cirrus Rx, Tx and Micro servos).
I don't think I mentioned that I am from New Delhi, India and 27 mhz should be no problem here. Also I have ordered it by international Post from tower and so had to order some small Package(else the shipping is too much - I have paid $44 for this too). Any of the 30" and above wingspan packages were turning out to be too expensive to ship here.
Wayne, the GWS Tigermoth is a real cutie!!! It is going to be on my list for sure!
Thanks again for all your inputs,
Cheers
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:29 PM
Joined Mar 2005
4 Posts
lavneet_gyani I bought the same plane from Tower Hobbies last week based on the following review and a couple of others like it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a..._id=318#photos
teluan is offline Find More Posts by teluan
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:22 AM
Joined Mar 2005
4 Posts
Here's another great review
http://www.backyardflyer.com/article...essna180_1.asp

Other than a few negative comments on various forums, most people seem to reallt like the Wattage Cessna 180.

Once I get it (suspect this coming week) I'll let you know my thoughts as a newbie to RC airplanes.
teluan is offline Find More Posts by teluan
Old Apr 14, 2005, 04:29 AM
New Delhi, India
Joined Mar 2005
31 Posts
Hi,
Finally I got the package and set up the plane. Put on the Tx and Rx and whoops, the servos glitched uncontrollably!!! I was so so disappointed. Wrote to Global and they are sending me a replacement Rx.
In the meantime I borrowed my friends Feather Rx and hooked it up on my cessna with my 9Cap Tx. Took it to the field with the pushrods in the outermost hole from the surfaces(as per the manual). I did a few - on my knees - glide tests with half throttle and saw that the response was toooo sluggish and needed a lot of trimming as well. It felt nose heavy too with the pack stuffed into the cavity in front of the servo cabin where the ESC is also housed. It glided straight into the ground and broke the prop.
Took it back to the bench and ,
1. Put the rods in the inner most holes of the horn.
2. Moved the pack back into the front of the servo cabin(thereby moving the CG back a bit) .
3. Recharged the Pack with the electrifly 400 park charger.
4. Put the replacement prop(they are so damn delicate they need to include atleast half a doz)

I headed outr the park again:

I gave full throttle and tossed her and she flew straight out of my hand at a 45 deg angle. I needed 5 clicks of the down ele trim that I had trimmed up when it was nose heavy during the glide tests. It climbed beautifully and with authority. At about 60' up I gave it left and did a few circuits. It was Rock steady in no wind conditions. I felt comfortable flying it and attempted a few loops which were ugly first, and improved later as I nosed it down a lil to achieve good speed. It was time to bring it in for a landing as I think I flew it for 4-5 minutes. I lined it up and it came in pretty fast with a considerable length required for the approach(quite a lot for a 24 span). I flared and it landed beautifully towards the end of the park.
It is very enjoyable to fly this plane but let me tell u this is not a trainer by any stretch of the imagination. It is not a slow flier and will punish a beginners mistakes.
I only wish I get the replacement Rx fast enough to be able to enjoy more flights.
Cheers
PS I will post the link to it's flight video soon
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:31 PM
New Delhi, India
Joined Mar 2005
31 Posts
Oke here's the video. The wheels are tooo small to track on grass so it just flips mover mostly.....

http://www.zippyvideos.com/128571274173785.html
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined Oct 2005
4 Posts
Good flying!

Thanks for the 'not for beginners' warning. I was considering getting the package for my first plane. I'll keep shopping.
notthereyet is offline Find More Posts by notthereyet
Old May 02, 2009, 01:36 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
Does anyone know if this a good plane?
hbsurfer is offline Find More Posts by hbsurfer
Old May 02, 2009, 09:03 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Nope. Bad equipment. A fairly new flyer (that now flies 3D) bought it to try it out, turns out it sucked all over.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..