HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.62%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 101 28.29%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.72%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.36%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:04 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Aidan,

Most of the time if you order a small parcel and its not sent via UPS you tend not to get hit for duty. If its UPS they always collect and charge you 12 for their administion charge - i always try to avoid UPS becuase of it.

You will normally get charged duty in the Toys catagory which is 4% & you have to pay vat as well at 17.5%.

Piers
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:30 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Yeah, i was going to go flying today, then the worst weather in ages blows over, i really hate the way the weather turns out, but i do hope you have a good flight tommorrow.
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:40 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Thanks for the info Pook,
My current package has been sent EMS. According to parcel tracking it cleared customs on Friday so I suppose I can expect to get it tomorrow. With VAT and duty at those rates I think it would work out about the same cost as if I bought in Europe.
I'll bear the UPS info in mind for future orders!

Snake,

Made any decisions about motor/ESC/cells?
How much power do you want and how heavy is the Falcon likely to end up aside from the power system?

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:51 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Well actually i have a limited budget (i am rather young), so i have have been talking about this in another thread and it looks like LiPOs are the way to go on a limited budget, http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...eries-5082.htm - SMC sell a nice 3 cell 1500 mA pack for 33 and is the best price i have yet seen. It has been suggested that a 7.2 volt sp400 or 480 will go nicely with this pack and provide more power than a brushless on 8 cell NiMh, like i was going to. My only concern is that i have no speed controller for these packs, though it was suggested that i can notice the effects of the battery and land safely. Fortunately, i have a pretty good digital charger for all cell types. If anyone has any ideas about this lipo route, cheers

James,
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:23 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
http://www.allelectricrc.co.uk/ do a 3s 1200 for 20 and a 3s 1600 for 22.50
I bought a couple of the 2s 2000mAh for 20 each and I'm very happy with them although I've not pushed them particularly hard (unlimited vertical on my slowstick and 20 minute flights is what makes me happy).

Lipos are definitely a better use of money than brushless motors, however the triple stator motor from GoBrushless.com costs about $30 (so it's under the threshold for VAT and import fees) and is good for 100-150W. It's still more expensive than a s400 brushed motor but you can wind it any way you want so it doesn't need a gearbox (I've got one in a warbird turning a 6x6 prop and one in the slowstick with a 9x6 - in fact my first attempt would have needed about a 24 inch prop!).
Well, I say I've got two motors, actually I've got two sets of stators and one can that I swop between planes, because you can just pull it off one plane and slot it on the other plane. Most of the expensive bits are in the can so that makes it really economical.

Robin
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Last edited by RobinBennett; Apr 24, 2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: oops!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:34 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
Just Getting into brushless.....

I bought one of these about an hour ago...
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/speed...ductId=V753750
It's ony 10 Amp continuous,.. so I don't know if it will help you or not...
They have a 15/25 amp for 10 dollars more, (about 5 pounds more) I don't know what the amps will be for your application... hope this might help some.
Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Apr 24, 2005, 04:45 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
WOW, thanks guys for finding these great deals! Robin, you have saved me a huge sum of money and i have seen those packs for 55, what a bargain! I'll probably order soon.
That ESC is also very cheap, but i think i'll save up a bit more, perhaps these brushless will get even cheaper in the future. Thanks lots,

James,
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:28 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Deamon-Leather - that's a fantastic deal, but BalsaProducts don't ship to the UK :-( - I've tried to order their ESCs (and super cheap brushed motors) before and they cancelled my order.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:38 PM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee
Shropshire, UK
Joined Jan 2005
507 Posts
Have a look at the overlander website, they now do a 20amp Brushless controller for 29.99 !

www.overlander.co.uk

Prices keep a tumbling...

Stinky5.
stinkyfive is offline Find More Posts by stinkyfive
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:47 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfive

Prices keep a tumbling...
They sure do, and i am tempted to get the 2000 mA lipo over the 1600 on, i think a sp480 would go nuts on this setup (compariable to a 10 cell nickel pack)
Old Apr 25, 2005, 01:40 AM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
eBay has lots of companys from the far east selling very cheeply - 18A Esc for 14.99 + 3 p&p. Of course they may be rubbish but i dont suppose its much of a loss at those prices.

Piers
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:25 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Yes, but the loss of a model is!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:45 AM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Snake will you be informing us of a maiden soon. I am gettin impatient like luke in empire strikes back. I am really wanting to see this baby fly. I have told many I fly with to check this thread out and now the itch is starting.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:41 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Well you've seen its current state, all it needs is some elevons then a motor mount and to install the equip, should have a LiPo before it is finished.

Quick opinion, sould i get a lighter lipo at 1600 mA (3 cell) and 130 grams or a heavier 2000 mA cell weighing 160 grams. I must admit i am very stuck between the two, both will provide longer flights and higher voltage, but the heavier pack will be easier to balance will, though the lighter one may mean an even better performance? Doh, i love and hate having to make these choices.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 04:07 PM
DIY user
Barcelona, Spain
Joined Jul 2004
506 Posts
From my point of view of zero experience with electric stuff, I'd go right to the 2Ah pack. If weight and capacity are the only factors valued here, I think 0.4Ah are well worth 30g.
JCaste is offline Find More Posts by JCaste