HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.78%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 100 28.09%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.74%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:05 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
anything is possible
http://www.hugi.is/hahradi/bigboxes....1208&f_id=1159
(video starts automatically after a second or so)
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:07 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
lol! I saw someone post a flying christmas tree video last christmas, doubt it had the will of aerodynamics on its side, just a powerful brushless/lipo setup. An AT-AT could be possible but you'd really look rather silly flying it!

I hope you have luck flying the falcon, if it doesn't fly as expected, just come back with a bigger brushless, and ring its neck. I sure wish i had a brushless...

GO, i think that passage will help as well, i also spaced out two smaller stabilzers near the front, underneath, i think they aided stability and doubled as a landing skid.
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:20 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
I was thinkin. If you mounted a motor on the bottom and hollowed out the cener on the bottom for a prop the passage would allow for air to be pulled in and the motor on the bottom may be able to hover it.
what do you think
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:21 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
I sure wish i had a brushless...
You can build your own CD ROM (brushless) motor for $10. There's a kit at www.gobrushless.com.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:46 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Yeah, but i have no brushless contoller, i am getting one soon, i hope.

Sirdirk, that does like an interesting idea, i suppose a geared motor with a 9x7 prop could provide the power, though what is the point of carrying two motors but if wouldn't do much harm being underneath,? Maybe if a geared motor or an outrunner could be pivoted somehow? There are many possibilities but none of which i could take up, though a hovering-into-foward-flight would be just the ultimate . How about a Falcon helicopter, couldn't that be easier .
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:50 PM
crashin with a smile
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
I think it could be powered this way but you would need the motor underneath to be direct drive for weight and probably brushless. You would also need servos that would make it pivot forward or back for movement and lerf and right for side to side. This could open a whole new idea for this great build. COuld even just use the bottom motor for off the ground take offs. once in the air the fromt motor and control surfaces could take over.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 04:37 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
Yeah, but i have no brushless contoller, i am getting one soon, i hope.
Under $45 for a Phoenix 10 on eBay.

10 amps is plenty for a CD ROM motor (they only pull about 5 amps).
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:39 PM
crashin with a smile
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Yea and I just ordered 2 refurbished from Castle creations for $35 I just learned that they do this if there are any in stock. They do it on all types.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:31 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Well actually i am looking at the Het-Rc micro 6 outrunner to replace all my sp400/480 applications, all i hear is good things about it. Though i am not sure if a bigger speed control is better or the one intended for typhoon motors, the tsunami 10 esc?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:34 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Just curious, but although there is a poll open here, some have chosen the lower ones, well haven't i already proven that it flys??

EDIT, woops, that for GO-RCs model?!
Last edited by snakeX2; Apr 23, 2005 at 08:35 AM. Reason: woops!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 04:26 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Current progress...Coming along, didn't take long at all to make.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 04:48 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
> Though i am not sure if a bigger speed control is better

For outdoors, yes. 10 amps is a bit limiting.
Some of the best UK prices I've seen are here:
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

I'd recommend the GoBrushless triple stator kit as a good cheap powerful motor - it's a shame no one in the uk sells it though.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 23, 2005, 04:56 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Yes i am almost certainely not opting for the tsunami 10, i was thinking perhaps a jeti brushless esc rated at 18 amps for £45, Should be ok for upgrades later on, though that 25 amp phoenix sounds good.
I have looked up more on the micro 6 and micro 15 motors, but idealy the micro 6 is in my amp range, i really haven't got the battery (KAN 1050) to deal with more input power, so the micro 15 would be pushing it for little more. I suppose the micro 6 has a low flight current of 8 amps or less, suppose i could increase the props pitch to increase the amps, should be more powerful?

Yes, it is a shame we cannot get much here in Britain, after shipping costs and tax, those brilliant american prices probably double, i changed my location to 'not so Great britain' because of it!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 05:41 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Th Typhoon motors are good value. The Hacker A20 outrunners and the Hyperion outrunners are also pretty good value at the moment. All have motors in the 100W to 160W range which is probably what you're aiming for.

I'm from Ireland but living in the UK since last october. Both countries have the worst prices anywhere for most electric RC gear. Mainland Europe are much cheaper for many things and with current exchange rates the US is particularly cheap even after shipping. I don't know how likely you are to incur import duty. There's none within the EU but ordering from anywhere else it is a risk. I never got charged when living in Ireland nor for the one order I received in the UK.

I just ordered a Hacker A20-22L & X-20 ESC combo from the US. $110 + $22 shipping. That'll be cheaper than anywhere in Europe if I don't get caught with import duty.

Typically I find prices in mainland Europe (mostly Germany, Austria, Czech Rep & France) to be about the same as the US dollar prices or a little more but in €uro. At the moment that means they're about 30% more expensive or sometimes more.
In Ireland and the UK prices tend to be higher. I've come across one or two particularly bad examples in the UK.
I've compiled a pretty comprehensive vendor list over the last couple of years with about 120 vendors worldwide. I usually end up going to the same few.

If you want some links and suggestions let me know.

Aidan

P.S. Just about to order some cells and ESCs. These are much cheaper from the US. Can anyone tell me how likely these are to incur import duty and how much is it?
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:33 AM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Bummer

Well no maiden yet! Beautiful calm weather all week and last night a storm blows in. The mornings are usually perfect. But right now I got heavy wind gusts!
I'll try maybe an evening this week.

"Patience let the force guide you"
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC