HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.62%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 101 28.29%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.72%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.36%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 21, 2005, 03:22 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
You guys are funny . Well heres my attempt at the Falcon. Don't laugh, as it is my first go at hot-wiring foam, but covering will help to smoothen things out.

Wing area is 12.5 dm squared with the disk alone and 40cm diam., probably 14/15 dm2 with the front parts. I am not going for scale appareances except in the profile, but a rather sleek design that has some degree of aerodynamics. I have no clue about balance points but it sure will be fun. The weight of the two separate disks together adds up to 70 grams or less, AUW with no equip i think could be 110 grams and the frame is very strong at the moment.

I plan to use a sp400 motor and KAN cells, AUW 400/450 grams, i am basing this Falcon on the multiplex microjet, similar wing area and equip layout, and don't forget both have a draggy airframe. Wing loading on the microjet is 16 oz. sq. ft.

Now about control, just two servos for elevons. Look at the diagram for the layout. God knows about verticle stab.?? Good luck,

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2005, 03:25 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
this looks cool. My son would kill to have this thing.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:14 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Even more so if it flew. I do have one idea, should we concider this as a symetriacal airfoil? If so, i guess we need some reflex in the elevons. I think the foil shape would look like this..
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:16 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,605 Posts
Looks like you could make that into a dual EDF Enterprise D.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:31 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,181 Posts
there still hasn't been a very convincing Enterprise D made. Always wanted to make one... maybe some day...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:34 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
The enterprise would be alot easier to make fly me thinks!
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:43 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,605 Posts
Probably, but the CG would be a challenge.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:47 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Thats the last factor thats going to be a challenge. I don't think the 30% rule is going to work here? I guess GO-RCs test glide may be the correct C of G, whatever that was.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 01:19 AM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Nice James looks like you got a good start, the foil might help. The controls on this thing are going to be the hard part.

SaMx - I agree for this ship to work as an EDF she has to be light. I've been building her with the idea that maybe down the road I'll make one from a batch of 3mm Depron I have. The central duct between the main support arms has plenty of room for an intake. It will also fit a Wemotec minifan just right. Well we'll see what happens with the pusher first.

Heres a couple pics of the bit I got done today. I cut free the openings in the side and added the small rail sections to each.
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:05 AM
Indiana
Joined Jul 2003
1,064 Posts
I fly two different flat plate airfoil ships. a lawn mower and a pizza box. Both have the CG right near the 30% mark. I would start my test glides at 25-30% and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
Thats the last factor thats going to be a challenge. I don't think the 30% rule is going to work here? I guess GO-RCs test glide may be the correct C of G, whatever that was.
icrashrc is offline Find More Posts by icrashrc
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:11 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Well, here is the stage i'm at. You could build all this in an hour and it did cost me nothing. I plan to paint it grey then at major detail parts after, then cover with clear 'stick-backed plastic'. I don't know about an airfoil shape, but the falcons foil shapelooks like an airfoil back to front . Its pretty thin at the moment and while not entirely scale, the profile is all that matters.

GO-RC, yours is looking amazing and i guess me and you are aiming for a similar goal, yet we have tried different techniques. I going to go with a pusher prop configuration, just for ease, bet a brushless would do better. Ducted fan would be really cool on this, but i'd expect there'd be too much drag to counter? Lets just hope it isn't too slow, i want fast and quick rolls! Good luck,

James,
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'm dangerously carefree
Media, Pa/Blacksburg Va
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
Don't forget the cockpit sticking out of the side!
SaMx is offline Find More Posts by SaMx
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:22 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Some help from the modelling science forum..

' For that shape you can put it at the 25% chord point of the center line as shown.
However the "fork prongs" will move the area forward so it'll need to move the CG forward as well. I don't even want to THINK about what the offset control cabin is going to do to the model. Just a guess at this point but it'll probably be at the 15 to 18% point of the center line section when you're done.

Make a little top view flat floam or balsa test glider. Add a tiny skosh of reflex to the trailing edge (probably 1/8 inch for a 12 inch span test glider, scale accordingly) and add nose weight until it test glides in a nice flat manner and can recover nicely from a shallow stall. Where the CG sits on the test glider is where you should start.

You can also use the test glider to fiqure out where you're going to put the clear fins and how big they need to be. It ain't gonna fly without them unless you're planning on installing a special computer controlled stability augmentation system...... '

We should follow his advice to make a test model, maybe even find an ideal CG, but his ideal CG may be the one..?

And we will NOT forget the cockpit, looks lost without..!!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:02 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Just sanded it up..
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:40 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
I agree this ship has to be able to roll tightly and bank hard. The falcon must be able to maneuver well. James thanks for the CG info sounds like good advice. I donít think it will be hard to balance once we get a few test glides going.
The control setup I'm going to try is below The two inboard surfaces will be linked as a single elevator and the outboard ones ailerons. Three servos, one for the elevator and one each for the ailerons. Maybe try to do some mixing of the two. The top and lower plate of each control surface will be linked. I'm also going with a clear vertical stabilizer that will not be actuated and will be removable.
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:39 AM
Joined Dec 2004
115 Posts
Very cool project...hurry up so we can see it fly, lol
it would be cool to find a old sound box from the toy to give it sound effects...
Or more realistic put some lights on it for dusk flying.
mphsjeep is offline Find More Posts by mphsjeep
Old Mar 23, 2005, 01:11 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Great one GO-RC, I'm going to take your idea as well and put it to use, but i'll just use two servos and mix the two, basically a flying wing setup.That vert. sounds like a good idea too.
For scale details, are you putting in the starboard and portside carbo bulge that sticks out into the airflow? Looks like it would really affect the aerodynamics.

Mphsjeep, Light would look cool on the very front and sound effects even better, maybe someone will try this, but it would only be good if it actually flew!