Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.78%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 100 28.09%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.74%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:15 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,353 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm.....

Not being the "best" at French,.. I'll guess. Seeing the blower has two large intake ducts on either side of the wing that feed the blower.(see front view of Jet on plan) I'm assuming these may be holes to keep the covering from either being "sucked-down", or "puffed out" during operation.. since there are lots of holes in the ribs... but this is theory again. The fellow that was supposed to translate backed-out on me I guess I can take & copy & paste it to a translation program like babblefish... but they always seem to come up "lacking" when I do that.
A brushless motor would seem to be the way to go, but My finances limit me to a bushed option only. On a brushed motor selection for direct-drive, I would go with a larger motor than an IPS.. a lot of rotating mass there, I believe it would toast it going direct.if I went IPS geared.. I'd use the newer, stronger replacement motor for the EDF's.and the fastest gear ratio they had.
If I wen't diect drive, I'd go with a 280.
As long as you covered the card stock with thin glass cloth..I think it would work great.I think with just bare card stock, the operation of the unit may suck down the walls of the housing without fiberglass reinforcement to limit flexing. You could even make the blower wheel & paddles out of glass-covered card, then cut the pieces out & epoxy together. I was thinking about doing that with carbon fiber, and even adding a bit of curve to the paddles(a very slight curve) thinking this may add a bit of boost to the unit... what do you think?
I'm glad You liked the Aquilon plan I'm thinking about enlarging that one, and tryin to make it from blue fan-fold foam..The shap will lend itself well to that medium. A LOT of My models start life as peanuts, or "dime-scale" size planes. If You like peanuts, for reference or enlargement subjects, or just to fly f/f.. here's a great site with LOTS of FREE plans...
http://www.geocities.com/dmlivesay/
it's a GREAT site,..but on a crappy system. You may have to wait to view it because a lot of people go there, and the system they are on limits dowloading and closes it for an hour after they exceed their limit! BUT, in the "dime-scale section they have the infamous Focke-Wulf FW-198 That I believe Air Trails erroneously reported on and I believe it was Ace Whitman made a kit to their 3-view of the fighter (it never actually existed)
In the Peanut dept. there are Tons of unique subjects, Twins,Jap planes (even a Jap float biplane) Golden Age, WWi WWII. I'm working on an enlargement for the BV-P.192.01-01 "mid-prop" fighter I've worked most of the "bugs" out for electric R/C (I think anyway)
I'know it's waaay off-topic, but who doesn't like free-stuff! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Apr 08, 2005 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:33 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I just used the Ask jeeves french>english translator, may take a bit of time to do.
I am currently making a small 63% test model of the blower that you have presented plans for. It only made of card, but if it works, i know it will, i am thinking of going a bit further with it. You are probably right about thoses holes, i can see the intakes for the fan are thoses small circular holes, they draw in air from there i guess. I wil probably just connect the fan up to my variable multi drill, 0-40,000 RPM should get it blowing...

Curving of the blades may work, but a test model could be easily made to see if thats true. cheers,

james,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:55 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,353 Posts
KooOOOoool!.....

Sound's like a PLAN! I'll be waiting to hear the review on this one! (pssst.. I think it will work great too! ) I was long-windedly editing my previous post.. hope you seen the link. Bob
Old Apr 08, 2005, 11:52 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I love free stuff, getting it working is such a reward. Great links, but unless time freezes itself...Ill see which one to build next .

I have nearly built the fan blower, i put the main paddle disc on a pin, blew it and it spun really fast, looks like a winner! Next is to fix it into the duct thingie and spin it with the power tool . I also noticed that if you blew it closely, you could feel the air blow back underneath towards you, i.e in the oppose direction of the blow source, kind of like the air 'sticks' to the paddles.
Should have it working soon. pics to follow. Cheers for the freebies

James,
Old Apr 08, 2005, 04:46 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I have tested the 63% fan, causes quite a draft and it sounds very 'whirly' like with a whooshing sound as it speeds up. This test model is very scratchy and a noticable improvement would be made if i were to make it out of stiffer materials. i was thiking maybe putting this 63% fan in a scaled down model like the eplan demon presented me with. Cheers,

james,
Old Apr 08, 2005, 11:58 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Update on progress

Completed the center section on the top. Still need to finish up the bottom piece. Begun work on the port for the side passages. See below. Goanna frame the passages off the port tomorrow.

In the photo some parts are still just placed on.

I've also decided to use the K.I.S.S method (Keep It Simple Stupid) for the motor install. Instead of cutting into the frame I'm just goanna mount it at the front in between the mandibles. Simple is always better for me . This will make it easier for me to work out the kinks and also allow for easy removal of the motor to convert to EDF.
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Last edited by GO-RC; Apr 09, 2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 02:39 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,353 Posts
Well.........

That's just BEAUTIFUL GO! Looks like a Hollywood model of the Falcon! REALLY NICE!! Did it come out about what You thought it would weight-wise? Simply beautiful! Really!.....I'm VERY impressed!

Snake.. Sounds GREAT! James! Sounds like a Turbine huh? Kool! And, You are most welcome! What's the weight of the fiberglass cloth you used to cover with? I think You could make a blower shroud with it. Roll it out on some light card stock, or thin balsa, then cut it out to shape & assemble. What do You think?

Though a "bit off-subject, I went to Lowes today, and bought some fan-fold blue foam. I spent about 4 hrs putting together a "Warp 9" to hone My flying skills with. It took less than half of one 4ft panel to make.. 3 of the hours was waiting for the Formula 560 canopy glue to dry Have it all balanced out & RTF tomorrow, with the exception of the linkages.
I have 46 feet of fan-fold left,.. do you think it will be enough for a Big blue Falcon?
Hey GO,.. what's the diameter of your Falcon's circle?.. if you don't mind Me asking... Bob
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:59 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Thanks for your comments Demon. So far the weight is on track. I still have quite a way to go so we'll see. That "Warp 9" looks like it would be a fun plane to fly! Try using the 3M spray adhesive next time. It works great, dries quick and sands easy! The Falcon will have taken almost 2 full sheets of Bluecore when its complete and the diameter of its main disk is 26 inches. I was originally working on plans as I went along, but I started changing things and got off track. If you build one for your turbo fans I will help all I can.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Hmm, the profile of the Warp9 isn't *that* different from the Falcon.
How about printing out one of the nice colour plan views, sticking it to some FFF and cutting around the edges (leaving the foam between the mandibles) and mounting the motor right at the front, and using a Warp9 style fuselage?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 09, 2005, 10:31 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
I'm sure you could get something flyable out of that for sure. The small flat plate test model I cut flew great!
Old Apr 10, 2005, 06:25 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Demon. i suppose some thin glass cloth would be ideal for covering the card with. The plans version with balsa strips just won't be strong enough fo a powered aplication. And the fan does need a high RMP, less you build a large one to turn slower gears? I'll see what else i can do.

GO, thats looking very cool, i need to get mine flying again soon, and the idea of mounting the motor at the very front is probably the best, tough it will not look so scale, but who cares?! Good luck,

James,
Old Apr 10, 2005, 04:09 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Ya the prop in front wasn't my frist choice but I'm determined to get her to fly. This route should give me the most thrust to get things going, I hope.

Made a little more progress. Added the top pieces for the side passages and begun cutting out the elevons.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 04:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
That looking really fantastic!

...although the airfoil curves aren't all that wonderful on the beastie, I really hope it flies for you! yessir.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:48 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Thanks KM
She will be a hog in the air for sure. Still hoping to have enough power ta drag her through it. Who knows, all in good fun.
Last edited by GO-RC; Apr 10, 2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:58 AM
Union City, California
Joined Aug 2004
37 Posts
What about using clear plastic for the Non-falcon parts. This way, it won't detract from the orignal look. IE. Vertical stabs and motor mount.
Stile2112 is offline Find More Posts by Stile2112