Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.78%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 100 28.09%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.74%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:05 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Cox "Axial-Flow" Fans........

are smaller in dia. than GWS units, have a 3-blade rotor, and a fat "can" motor equivilent to around a 200 size motor. I had a much modified, much repaired Cox Airlifter "test-bed" I was doing experiments with. I was getting 5-7 min flights on the plane at 18oz AUW( 6.6oz was 7.2VNicads) and pretty good wind penetgration and it flew with authority... Fun little fans! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:16 PM
rc transports rule!
new brunswick canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,301 Posts
Demon-Leather
first time i saw this type of aircraft design
sure got my attention
can i get more info on it?

as for the falcon......
it was stated that the motor attached at the rear as a pusher threw off the CG?
that it needs to be moved forward with a shaft extention?
what about if the motor and prop is moved forward?
the prop could fit ......er......rotate through a slot in the fuselage
derailed is offline Find More Posts by derailed
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:20 PM
rc transports rule!
new brunswick canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,301 Posts
like that fan too
they still around?
i have some use for that size
derailed is offline Find More Posts by derailed
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
Media, Pa/Blacksburg Va
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
hmm, run the prop through a slot in the fuse... I like it! If I decide to make one, thats probably what I will do.
SaMx is offline Find More Posts by SaMx
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:02 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Well, thereís no practical way around the weight issue with the pusher configuration. I tried lots of different weight distributions and itís just to much to overcome. So I'm going to go with a tractor set up and cut a slot in the mandibles just large enough for the prop to slip through. I'll reposition the carbon rods to strengthen the mandibles along the sides. This set up may even work better. It should send more air over the control surfaces, I hope.

James - Good luck with the edf I hope shes flys well. That's goanna be my next step as soon as we work out all our bugs.

Demon - very interesting idea you have. Sure please send me a copy of the plans.

A Picture of the new layout, below.
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Last edited by GO-RC; Jun 19, 2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 03:29 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
That sounds like a good setup, pity you had the same problem as me. Only thing i were woried about was the inefficiency of having the prop there. I guess a prop setup would be better on this falcon anyways. If we were to build another perhaps two smaller motors would be more ideal and we could put them at the front of the mandibles, i think this was someone elses idea.

On the falcon, everything has to go up front and the rest of the model is pretty much empty space, and it seems that the mandibles need to be the strongest sections.
Good luck!

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:28 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Just Read This........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Hmmm -- so the intake would be at the bottom, and the exhaust would be at the back? Wouldn't that force the Falcon forward and towards the ground?

I suppose you could make the intake at the top, and you'd get some lift as well as lots of thrust...
I was going back over the photos of the large Falcon, and saw this...Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, just missed it.
If you go back and look at Mt crude drawings, you will see two low profile scoops on top. there would be a same at the bottom as well. The air would be taken in from a FORWARD direction much like a conventional axial unit, but the turbine unit takes it in from both sides and expells it to the rear. (see photos posted previously of the French blower jet plan) Perhaps it would help you visualize better if I posted a front view of the blower jet...you will see 2 scoops on either side like a "coventional EDF" where the air is pulled in from a foward direction. I've included a "Top-view" shot as well. Though the actual plans are for rubber power, it should be adaptaqble to electric fairly easilly. Either a geared or direct drive system could be adapthed to the "turbine" and You could make it as wide or narrow as you desired. The rubber version was reported to fly "wee-we viva-la France'" What is the weight of the big blue-foam Falcon, if You don't mind Me asking? I think 2 X 280's would put you in the Park... looks like a light floater! With 2 blowers, 2 seperate sevos running veins in the exhaust ports, You could use a mixer and have her rolling & going up and down like George's effects team did in the Movies! (in theory, anyway) If You REALLY don't like the idea, two conventional EDF's ( like the Cox fans) put to the front at the C/G, and ducts through the mandables & out the back with conrtol vienes in the exit ports will do the same thing. Bob
Old Apr 01, 2005, 03:37 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMx
hmm, run the prop through a slot in the fuse... I like it! If I decide to make one, thats probably what I will do.

Please make one, then we can find out if it will work .
I almost wish i had done, it could have been done and i think the CG would have come out spot on. Oh well the next one i make i will incorporate this idea, a prop setup may work better than a ducted fan.
I also have plans to make another starwars ship if this one works. How about a B-wing?

GO-RC, my CG is estimated at about 18% from the LE, and yours is 22%? That a bit odd?
Old Apr 01, 2005, 09:51 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
888 Posts
Make it a twin motor...
MetroGTi is online now Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Old Apr 01, 2005, 09:58 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
That would have been my prefered setup. I think two 280 motors would do, but i don't think two Guntheres would clear each other. I expect to do the maiden today in an hour or two, much better than yesterday weathers by the way. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 01, 2005, 10:20 AM
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2005
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
That would have been my prefered setup. I think two 280 motors would do, but i don't think two Guntheres would clear each other. I expect to do the maiden today in an hour or two, much better than yesterday weathers by the way. Wish me luck!
I don't know if I have ever wished anyone as much luck as I am wishing you right now.
Travy is offline Find More Posts by Travy
Old Apr 01, 2005, 10:42 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Thanks very much, i doing all the checks right now. Its got cello-tape all over it but as long as it holds together, i don't care!.. and i do hope i don't come home with a bag of bits.
I have a vid cam but i think some snap shots should be the least my helper can get. Either way, you'll see some flying shots or some crudely deformed pieces of polystyrene on a tray.
This is it...

James,
Old Apr 01, 2005, 11:18 AM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
god speed!
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Apr 01, 2005, 01:39 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
Thanks very much, i doing all the checks right now. Its got cello-tape all over it but as long as it holds together, i don't care!.. and i do hope i don't come home with a bag of bits.
"Don't worry! She'll hold together! (Hear me baby? Hold together!)" -- Han Solo
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 01, 2005, 01:44 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Don't Forget...........

Whack the hyperdrive panel BEFORE You chuck it! Bob