HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2002, 12:04 PM
Vassar MI USA
Joined Nov 2000
330 Posts
Ooo Noooo Crrrraaappppp!!!!!!!

my next step on my 1/4 super cub was to glue a paper tube and a fiberglass tube in to the middle of the fuse to hold the wing jointer tubes(both metal) in place

so i figure that it wont be very eventfull and figure i wont need anyware near an ounce a epoxy so i didnt use my west systems epoxy

i grab my little tubes of epoxy and mix them up lather it on and leave it for the night

come back to day to find that it still hasn't dried!!! well i figure that is at lease 70 degs so thats not the cause. next thing i think of was that i mixed in correct amounts but figure that i never had a problem before

so i pick up one of the bottles of epoxy to read the instructions and quickly find that is says 5 MIN EPOXY!!!!! to i grab the other to find it says 30 MIN EPOXY!!!!!! OOOOO NOOOOOO

so now i have to clean the peices off and use 30 min again NOT 5 AND 30!!!!!!!!!!!

MAN THIS SUX i hope this doesn't hurt the strangth too much

make sure that you use the correct epoxys when mixing im living proff that late nights and not reading instructions= big problems
i-fly is offline Find More Posts by i-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2002, 01:34 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
I just love the title of this thread.. I had to read it.

Talking about epoxy. I ONLY have 12 minute epoxy. Have you guys ever heard of 12 minute epoxy? I got these bottles from a friend who moved to another country. The reason why I like it so much is because it gives you reasonable time to glue and strength.

I don't see much talk about it. My LHS don't carry them either. What gives?

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Mar 27, 2002, 02:22 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,564 Posts
I have done this before, but mine still cured. Of course, I have also mixed 5 min and 30 min hardeners together, which remained goop.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Mar 27, 2002, 03:02 PM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
So shouldn't that just take 35 minutes to cure

Late nights usually make for comical mistakes.
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Mar 27, 2002, 04:14 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
It might be 35 days
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Mar 27, 2002, 05:30 PM
Vassar MI USA
Joined Nov 2000
330 Posts
well i got as much of the goop out as i could and gave in to use the west systems even though i tosed most of it

i hope that its not weakened by my little misstake all that it was really was a paper tube that goes between the fuse sides and butts against a radio box

the biggest problem was that most of the goop had soaked in and not dried

o well
i-fly is offline Find More Posts by i-fly
Old Mar 28, 2002, 07:44 AM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
Oops

My only experiences with mixing 5 and 30 was a little different. (Can't remember which was hardner or resin)
Anyway, the stuff cured quite well, in about 2-minutes! No working time at all. Started to apply it, and it was starting to get "goopy" before I could get some to the parts. Good thing too, it dried like glass, very brittle.
Maybe it had something to do with the Mfg. (Don't remember off hand, maybe Pacer or GP)
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz