HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2005
27 Posts
Umi, can I use your brain? 1/200 Motor...

Hi Umi, in my searches I saw that your prity good with power plants. I have the Yamato 1/200 kit and I plan on using the suplied gear box, one motor running 4 shafts, with the supllied props (will chang that if they don't work).

Running a single motor on a 7.5 volt 3000 mah battery pack what motor do you recomend?

I plan on buildint the running gear and controls first then building and reinforcing the hull around them, so I need to start at the motor.

BTW I see you guys are in Portland, do you get together for fleet meetings? With spring coming it would be fun to see some ships on the warter. I live up in Seattle, but grew up in Portland.

Thanks in advance.
JoshRC is offline Find More Posts by JoshRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:30 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,156 Posts
Lets see,
My first thought, is that unless you really want it for scale, the ship would run well on two propellers. Probably the inboard, closest to the rudder.
As far as motors, if you can find the surplus pittman motors, there is very little that beats them for low amp draw and running time. However we typically run them at 12 volts. Surplus motors can be difficult to recommend becuase of availability.

The Dumas 4.8volt motors run pretty well. They run about 10-12 minutes on a small 1200mah battery pack, but I had a pair that ran for ten years, and I only changed them out for new ones because I "thought" they might be worn.
They took sinking after sinking, however one of the new ones went bad withing two years due to the combat sinkings my boat experiences.
I am sure that your ship would never put it's motors through that kind of experience. Last time I picked up a pair, they were only 11 bucks.

Since you are planning on using gears, it may be possible to use one of the small mini Z or Hpi micro car motors. The gears could be used to reduce the rpms down to something managable.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:38 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,056 Posts
What is the ratio on the gear box?
It would be a lot easier to recommend a motor knowing that. If the ratio is near 5 or 6:1 you probably could use the HPI motor pretty well.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Mar 19, 2005, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2005
27 Posts
Hi Guys, wish I knew what the grearing was, it's the stock "motorized" gear box for the 1/200 Nichimo kit.

The motor the kit recomends is a Muchiu (sp? books not infront of me) RG-54k. I have looded both on Ebay and on line for that motor but the only thing I came up with was a 540 series motor, same thing?

Thanks for the help.

You can see an interior pic of the modle I'm building, I'm using this gent's advice and a templet for my build, he's using the factory gear box also:

Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,156 Posts
That actually looks very much like a stock "Mabuchi" 540 motor.
That should be relativly easy to come up with, or match with stock motors for an RC car. The advantage with a Stock RC car motor, would be that the brushes can be replaced.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2005
27 Posts
Umi, thanks I think your right I just wasn't sure, thanks for the help.