HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:47 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
What are the Airfoils for the Zagi THL? (or similar)

I had a Zagi THL a couple of years ago and it flew pretty well. I want to cut scaled down version out of white foam but I threw out the THL before tracing the airfoil. Does anyone have the airfoil that was used for the THL, or do you have a good root/tip airfoil for a ~30" w.s. flying wing glider? Thanks.

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:59 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
Zagi airfoil

Acer,

The Zagis have proprietary airfoils, Zagi-8, Zagi-10, etc. These are available with that Italian shareware program Profili.

However, you might do better with an MH-45. This is the airfoil used in the Wedgie and some other flying wings. The coordinates are available at:
http://beadec1.ea.bs.dlr.de/Airfoils/mhfoils.htm
I suspect that the MH-45 will perform better at the lower Reynold numbers of your scaled down wing. Or maybe the MH-44, which is slightly thinner...

Of course, if someone here actually knows something about aerodynamics, please correct me.

Lee
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:12 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Thanks Lee for the responce. I made a 24" glider using the MH45 airfoils. It worked well. Launched roughly 80 feet with a good throw. But, it only stayed up about 30-40 seconds. It would be a great mini sloper as it flew very well in wind and was extremely aerobatic. The MH 45 was a good FAST airfoil but I am looking for a slower more of a "Floater" airfoil. It probably needs to be a little thicker like the THL airfoil with a built in reflex. Any more ideas?

-- Acer
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:20 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I forgot to ask, on all my flying wings I made, I always used balsa wood for the elevons. Would it work well to actually cut the elevons from the foam itself and thus have a "true" airfoil without having extended flight surfaces (balsa elevons). I've noticed that most of the F3J Flying wings of Europe use this method. Would it work well with smaller gliders?

-- Acer