SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2005, 04:20 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Request For PSS Fest 2005 Lodging Suggestions

Hi Guys

I'm registered and ready to go - I even purchased the requisite t-shirt. Now all I have to do is get a place to stay. I need some suggestions. Here's my plan...

5-27-05: Drive to SoCal (maybe Palmdale or thereabouts)
5-28-05: Attend PSS Fest 2005
5-29-05: Fly at either Parker Mountain or Vincent Hill
5-30-05: Drive back to NorCal

SO, I have a couple of obvious options...

Stay at the Best Western John Jay in Palmdale (like I did last year - NICE place!), and use it as a base of operations, taking the 1 hour+ drive to Cajon Pass on Saturday (cost: ~$89/night)

OR...

Stay cheap, at someplace like Silverwood State park, camping in my tent, taking a short drive to Cajon Pass on Saturday, and taking a long drive to Parker Mountain on Sunday (cost: ~$20/night)

OR...

Consider other suggestions made by my smart SoCal flier friends. Remember, I'm trying to stay in one place for all three nights, to simplify the logistics. I'm OK with the cost of that Best Western hotel, but I'd like to plan the simplest commute for all places I plan to visit.

What do you think?

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,026 Posts
There are a bunch of places in Victorville and I think that's a bit closer than Palmdale. Also there's a mediocre motel at the bottom of the hill on the 15 that's very close. Can't remember the name but I'm sure the ISR guys know of it.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:30 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Thanks Reed :)

If Victorville is (as the crow flies) located between Cajon Pass and Palmdale, that is an AWESOME idea! That would be a much better way for me to handle the two day trips.

As for the place you mentioned ("at the bottom of the hill"), I stayed there last year and didn't really like it that much. That is the Best Western Cajon Pass -- I think it's the same place you're referring to. It's pluses are it's about as close as you can get to the flying site (as motels go) and it's pretty inexpensive. The minuses are many (IMO). I would rather camp at a State Park than stay at that place again - haha

I hope I'll get to see you down at PSS Fest, Reed. I saw Harry and Rob last year. I don't think I saw any other NorCal guys there, but I'm sure they were around. I think I recall you saying that you were there too, but since I only met you in person six months ago, I'm sure I didn't know who to look for

Happy Flying ;-)

John
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:41 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,233 Posts
Leave at the crack-o-dawn friday and drive to Cajon. It aint that far to do in one day (6 or 7 hours). Fly at Cajon on Friday. Personally I would pick a motel at the bottom of the Pass in Ontario, Rancho Cucumonga or around there. Lots of the flyers will dine in that area after flying.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:59 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Thanks Brian

But I wanna spend Sunday at Parker Mountain/Vincent Hill. I love flying at those sites, and I can fly anything I bring there - all day (I only have one PSS-like plane). I only have two flying days.

I want to go to PSS Fest on Saturday, since it seemed like most of the fun stuff (competitions, raffle, etc...) takes place on that day -- IMO

So that's whay I was hoping to find a "base camp" somewhere north of Cajon Pass.

Happy Flying ;-)

John
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:15 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,233 Posts
There ain't much between Parker and Cajon as you probably already know. I would still stay at the bottom of the pass for Friday night and Saturday night. Get up Sunday drive to Parker (about 1.5 hours from Ontario). Fly Parker Sunday and then drive home Sunday eve. Or find a Motel near parker if you are too tired to dirve home that night.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:42 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Found A Place To Park The Van

...And see some nature to boot

I have reserved a campsite in Wrightwood, CA for three nights. Lake Campground on Jackson Lake. This campground is part of the Big Pines portion of the Angeles National Forest.

I picked this site cuz I wanted something about halfway between Cajon Pass and Palmdale, since I'll visit PSS Fest on Saturday, go to Parker Mountain on Sunday, and drive home to Norcal on Monday.

I haven't gone camping in a while, so it should be fun.

I look forward to seeing everyone at PSS Fest 2005.

Happy Flying ;-)

John
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:12 PM
Moderatee buncha places
Southern California
Joined Aug 2003
1,939 Posts
i grew up in wrightwood, jackson lake is nice, althoug no swimming Table Top mountain camping site is another option for you, its in wrightwood as well.

nice place to stay, good food, and feels as if you are really away from city life.
Tawg is offline Find More Posts by Tawg
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:53 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts

dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns