HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2005, 01:29 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Tri-Slope Six-Pack

As long as we're in sticky-madness season, why not put this one up there?

Moderator? Whadya think?

http://www.shredair.com/3s6p/3s6p05.html
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Last edited by Reed; Mar 16, 2005 at 02:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2005, 02:57 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I second the sticky request, and would like to make a request of my own:

Could someone please explain the difference between "Ballistic Slope'n" and "PSS Slope'n", in terms of flying style? I understand that the planes are different, but to me both entail halfpipe-style flying in order to generate and maintain the energy necessary for ballistic performance. However, the following line makes me think there must be some difference that I'm not aware of: "We will allow half-pipe and other formation flying for brief periods and will assure that every pilot will have plenty opportunity to tank up on slope juice."

What am I missing? Unless we're talking death dives out of thermals, how else are you going to keep your plane on step other than doing something resembling halfpipes, and, if there's more than one plane in the air, flying some kind of formation to avoid midairs?

This is an honest question, not a sarcastic dig at the wording above. If there's something for me to learn, consider my chair pulled up and my notebook out!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2005, 04:22 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
I thought of that, too, Steve. Not sure why that language was chosen. I thought maybe the "Ballistic" vs. "PSS" was to allow Rodents and Fauxdents and Taz' and Jarts and the like. But as far as flying styles, my guess is that they want to make sure no one is put off if they haven't ever flown halfpipe formation before.

Will the Six-Packers butt in here? (hmmm...that didn't sound quite right...)
Old Mar 16, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,522 Posts
I don't mean to speak for my good cuzzin Dieter, but I think he wants to make sure everyone gets a chance to play. At the last 6-pak there was really only one day of decent lift. We all got a chance to play and had fun.

There was a lot of DLG and electric action as well.

Eagle Butte is pretty big, and we used a central frequency board, but 1/2 pipers went over to one end, and the big scale jobs were elsewhere. There was lots of room to play all over the slope.

I plan to make it for this one, too!!!

WinchDoc
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
No foamies , well not everyone can afford a freegin compisite model , and if i lived near the maker of that logo , hed better hope his legs were epp otherwise he would be walkin on some "crutchies" , shame when a good slope gets wasted by a beuracraticial
****head with no sense of the word "fun"....
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:58 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Yikes.

flybaby2000 - those slopes are open to whomever wants to fly 362 days a year. This is a sponsored contest. If you want to have an EPP contest on one of your local slopes, sponsor it and don't let any of those ****heads fly.

Oh, and maybe tomorrow morning try decaf.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:05 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby2000
No foamies , well not everyone can afford a freegin compisite model , and if i lived near the maker of that logo , hed better hope his legs were epp otherwise he would be walkin on some "crutchies" , shame when a good slope gets wasted by a beuracraticial
****head with no sense of the word "fun"....
Isn't that plank of yours made of balsa?
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:26 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,202 Posts
Settle down crybaby...I mean flybaby. There are plenty of foam contests that don't allow EPP, RIGHT? I would hardly be allowed to fly my glass Me-109 in your combat event now would I? The organizers make a choice about what they will and will not allow to fly in any event. You can either go or not go based on that. Posting lame images (A really poor one BTW) is not going to do anything except get you flamed.

Steve, Ballistic flying is not PSS flying. Carls B-29 is hardly ballistic for example. There are lots of Ballistic type slopers that ain't PSS. The Rodent is not PSS but is Ballistic. Some PSSers are Ballistic for sure but not all or even most of them. The rest of the planet fly PSS a little differently than we do here in SoCal.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:43 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,347 Posts
"Settle down crybaby...I mean flybaby."
Too funny!
Flying foam this weekend at Eagle Butte, Combat Event! 50+ guys last year! Plenty of time to fly glass also! Foam is Foam! Six pack brings out the real works of art! Lets hope there is a little more wind this year!
MP
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:06 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Oh man, here we go again... sigh. Nothing like a good ole EPP intifada against Dieter

So it's a non-foam thing...who cares?

I used to be in the EPP camp when the Tri-Slope started, but now I've "seen the light" and I'm totally behind Dieter's move. Since I've started flying crunchies, it really does all make sense.

The gist of it goes like this: by making it non-foam, people who have nice, high dollar planes will be more likely to show up. After all, high dollar, non-foam planes are usually flown by people who know what the heck they are doing. Not that people who know how to fly don't also fly foam--but when you've got a $2,000+ scale or F3F ship in the air, you sure as heck want to be confident that your fellow flyers are just as expert as you are, or as close to it as possible.

And that's that. If you don't like it, don't go. It's just that simple! LOL

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:08 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
Steve, Ballistic flying is not PSS flying. Carls B-29 is hardly ballistic for example. There are lots of Ballistic type slopers that ain't PSS. The Rodent is not PSS but is Ballistic. Some PSSers are Ballistic for sure but not all or even most of them. The rest of the planet fly PSS a little differently than we do here in SoCal.
Bah. If it ain't ballistic, then what's the point? Might as well fly a Weasel!!

Steve
Flyer of the semi-ballistic Waco CG-4A
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:04 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,700 Posts
Actually, ballistic slope'n is more than half pipes. Watch the beginning of Dave Reese's Lift Ticket video to get an idea of what I mean. Also ballistic slope'n has that nice BS acronym.
Those who wish to attend, please check out this page http://shredair.com/3s6p/3s6p05.html and send us an e-mail with your registration information.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,142 Posts
is the "sixpack" location more of a slope (like Utah), or more of a ridge or cliff ? any pics. ?
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1
is the "sixpack" location more of a slope (like Utah), or more of a ridge or cliff ? any pics. ?
There are pictures at the link in Dieter's post. We weren't able to fly at Chandler last year so I can't comment on that. Kiona is definitely a slope. You can walk down it easily. Eagle is steeper than Kiona - walkable, but intimidating. Last year there was good lift for only a few hours at Eagle, but when it was there it was huge.

From a pure flying standpoint, the Six Pack should have been disappointing, because the wind just didn't blow very much. Somehow it ended up being an awesome event anyway. I'll be making the 10+ hour drive again this year.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S