HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 17, 2005, 02:37 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
Astrobob and I have verified the fact that LIPO packs can be reconditioned back to normal service thru a certain current level SLOW CHARGE at 50 ma and even as high as 100 ma. This is good medicine for " SICK LIPOs " but not a miracle cure for LIPOs that have gone to " HEAVEN", not even the "MAN" upstairs can do anything about it.
This procedure has been discussed on this forum extensively long before astrobob posted of his experience, and then you picked up on it. The difference is that everyone else, including astrobob, clearly stated that this was a procedure to revive cells that had briefly fallen under 3.0V and needed to be brought up to 3.0V. It is also a risky procedure that requires great care, as many cells suffer irreversible internal damage when discharged below 3.0V for an extended length of time.

Hall, you know the reason why the moderators have closed some of your threads and warned you about some of your posts in the past. It is the same reason why some forum members continue to criticize the language used in some of your messages even now.

When discussing potentially risky procedures with Li cells, it's important to be as clear as possible in your description, and not put it at the "chicken soup" level. The concern is that someone reading your messages may misunderstand the confusing language and get the mistaken idea that something is safer than it really is.

No one has any problem with you personally. Many are concerned about your casual, confusing descriptions of potentially risky procedures. Continually invoking astrobob's name as if he is your partner is not the solution. Your opinions will be weighed on their own merit, just like everyone else's on this forum. Everyone's opinions carry more weight when they are stated clearly and accurately. It's really that simple.

If you cannot find a way to be more clear and accurate in your descriptions of potentially risky procedures involving Li cells, your wording -- not you personally, but your choice of words -- will continue to be justifiably criticized.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:42 PM
Hey ya'll watch this!
Danville, CA
Joined Mar 2002
361 Posts
This is outstanding! Thanks Charles!

Quote:
Taps / balancing here.
Charles
OneHump is offline Find More Posts by OneHump
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:44 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I'd like to throw one more thing into the mix. PolyQuest, for instance, makes packs with taps brought out to a five-pin connector. They also make a "PCM Charge Guard" which is plugged between the charger and the five-pin connector on the lipo pack. The Charge Guard monitors the voltage of each cell in the pack, and disconnects the charger if any one cell exceeds 4.3V.

This is great, but it DOES NOT balance the packs, all it does is keep an unbalanced pack from overcharging one cell.

On the other hand, the charge balancer circuits that are out there (Suzanne's, Dan Baldwins, etc) balance the packs, but have no way to stop charging if they are unable to keep the cells balanced due to excess balance current, etc.

It occurred to me that putting these two solutions together would result in a great combo. I used commercially available small balancers from http://www.lightflightrc.com , and wired them into a small clear plastic box. I put the same 5-pin connectors used on the PolyQuest battery packs on this device, so it plugs in between the PolyQuest PCM Charge Guard, and the PolyQuest lipo pack.

With this system, the balancers balance out the cells on every charge. If something goes wrong, either overvoltage from the charger or a failed balancer or dead cell, the PCM charge guard will terminate the charge as soon as the voltage on any one cell exceeds 4.3 V.

Here's a schematic of my idea. I'll add some photos later, I have to rush off to work now.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:29 AM
San Juan Marin Intl, Puerto Rico
Joined Jul 2002
765 Posts
Thunder Powers are perhaps the hardest to do.

Well No with the righ tool .
windface is offline Find More Posts by windface
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:42 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windface
Thunder Powers are perhaps the hardest to do.

Well No with the righ tool .
I also have added taps to TPs and yes with the right tools it is possible. I guess I should have explained that due to the way packs are assembled and due to the very narrow Tabs on many of their packs it is very easy to damage a cell. I do not find it difficult to build packs myself and not having nickle tabs to solder to posses no problems either however not every one has the proper tools for such work. I try to remember that some have a hard time soldering on a Deans Ultr connector. I would rather advise as being perhaps the most difficult than to have a newbie ruin a pack thing it was a piece of cake.
E Tecs,Kokams and other packs with PCBs are the easiest. Poly Quest and Tanic save you the trouble of having to ad them and Poly Quest are great batteries at fantastic prices.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 20, 2005, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2002
765 Posts
I agree with you Charles ! Just I want to show my new toy and the posibility to instal taps in the most dificult pack to worck with ease. no need to bend or move the terminal just fine the rite plase and sold.

Gustavo.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:10 AM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Hey wind face,

Tell me about that cold heat thingy you got there. You like it? Have any problems getting the solder to stick to the tabs?

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Mar 23, 2005, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2002
765 Posts
Hello John:

Yes, I like it. It creates like a very small electric arc and get the spot heated in fraction of sec. you need to practic to get the feel I prac. with a coke can and wire (alum flux) . the good thing is that the heat is in a tiny spot and dicipates fast. so far the three packs are in good shape.
radio shack cold solder, just $22.

Gustavo
Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:33 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Thanks for the reply Gustavo!

You get the solder at RS as well?

60/40 and a hot iron is not good at all!

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:32 AM
Joined Jul 2002
765 Posts
No the solder is fron my LHS is the same the rc car guys use. and the flux I buy is fron CBP.here
Closed Thread