Closed Thread
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:51 AM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Whoops!
Does slow charge balance Lipo cels???

I understand, and I may be wrong, that Lipo cels in a stack will eventually become unbalanced.

If so, then each stack is destined to fail because of overcharge - as the charger has a maximum setting, the total of the stack, - and if one cel is lower charge than the other, the charging will continue whether or not the higher one is fully charged - and will cause a failure on that cel.

I have lost several individual cels because they bulged due to overcharge - it was always one cel in a stack...... But that's better than both...

So, I wonder; if slow charging, say at 50ma, and through a Kokam voltage limiter, would result in rebalancing the stack - as happens in a nickle-type battery.

I would love to hear from someone who has experience with this.

Richard
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2005, 01:43 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
No - slow charging lipos does NOT balance them.

I have tried it to test the rumor (hall woo keeps bringing this up) and it does not work.

You need to use a balancer or charge each cell individually.

Larry

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Mar 16, 2005, 02:14 AM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Does slow charge put less stress on the battery when charging then?
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
Old Mar 16, 2005, 02:27 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
It has been pretty much agreed that charging at .7C or less will extend the life of your packs - or mabey it is that charging at OVER .7C will reduce the life of your packs

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:24 AM
Toms River Rj Miller, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined May 2003
318 Posts
The ONLY way to prevent overcharging which results in "puffing" [or worse] is to MONITOR each cells voltage and balance a pack by charging a low cell periodically. I have been doing this for almost 2 years, and have constantly used cells that are this old, with NO problems.
rcflyrdon is offline Find More Posts by rcflyrdon
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:35 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
From what I can read/see in the trade rags is that sometime this year, cell balancers charging systems are going to solve this problem. In this case each cell will be tapped and the tap will run to a unit that is between the cell and the charger.

Is this common opinion?

Thoughts on the topic?

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:21 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Yes it seems like cell balancers and pack balancing is the theme for this year. There is a good deal of imformayion in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=40

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:49 AM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Lipo Cell Balancing VS. Cell Equalization

Normal LIPO packs can be fast charged at 1C using active balancing circuits at constant current chargers and power supplies for people using a single pack.

For the more experienced user, a constant voltage regulated power supply is what I use to charge 5 packs ( 2s & 3s) at the same time.

The current automatically tapers off as the packs reach their clamped voltage levels of 12.6 and 8.4 at around 200ma to 50 ma

This is a slow charging process which cells in the packs have lots of time to EQUALIZE, emphasis on the time factor, not amps in the final AH reading

I have been using this system for a long time and I have salvaged packs that R cooking brushless motors in a ducted fan models
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:24 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick121x

So, I wonder; if slow charging, say at 50ma, and through a Kokam voltage limiter, would result in rebalancing the stack - as happens in a nickle-type battery.

Richard
In the whole world there may be only one person who thinks that a low current charge will balance a lithium ion polymer pack. I would go with the majority. On the other hand, it can't hurt anything as long as the voltage does not exceed 4.2V/cell.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:35 AM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
I still have to to use 1C fast chargers for repeated runs on the same pack, but I don't want to wait ~ 1 hour charging at the field and lug out a generator which I see the PROs here at RSA doing, so I usually bring pre-charged well conditioned packs to the field most of the time

All my operational packs have more SLOW charging cycles than 1C fast charges
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:35 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
So...how do you charge 1 cell (to balance) of a 3 cell pack that only has one charge line out?
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:48 AM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
If U have balance worries, then your pack may be bad, do a discharge capacity check of the pack. If 80%, then the pack is almost gone. U may be able to salvage the other two if the capacity of each cell is normal

AF 109 will charge 1 cell if your pack have taps, one at a time.

DO NOT charge balance all cells without an isolated charging system, U'll ruin the charger
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:54 AM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
answer to the main question is simple: NO
if you want balanced cells, you can:
have cell balancers inside your packs, or
build your packs in xP and charge them in // (as I do).
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:06 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
4.19V or 4.20V on the Taps

All my SLOW CHARGED packs, particularly the Tanic 2S1P 2150 mah packs, 4 of them ( salvaged, converted from 3S packs ) ,show a perfectly fully charged voltage of 4.19V or 4.20V all the time for the last 2 months on the TAPs of each cell.

Flies my Aerobird " PICNIC " fleet up to 15 minutes full throttle doing snap rolls and split Ss in V-tail or Pro-mode, easy fun sport flying in windy afternoon conditions
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:09 PM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
good for you...
but this has nothing to do with a slow charge....
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Closed Thread