HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:56 PM
Joined Mar 2005
4 Posts
.19 Engine frozen up

I have a .19 engine that has not been run for several years.
The crank will not rotate. I think there is a possibility the old remaining fuel has hardened and locked the piston. Any suggestion as to what I might soak the engine in to try loosen it up.
cnc9130 is offline Find More Posts by cnc9130
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:13 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
pull glow plug.. squirt in about 1.4 to 1/2 oz fuel. (no better glow fuel oil solvent than more fuel)

Try to squirt some in via the carb. (it probably is stuck too)

remove the backplate carefully and squirt in a bit of fuel.

Put it in a glass jare and close it up overnight. It should break free in the morning. You will then have to flush the crud out... (I decide by how much crud is comming out and if I care if the engine survives long if I fully dissasemble and clean every part or not)

If you fully dissasemble it you can "cook it" in aluminum safe antifreeze in a crock pot for a day... it will shine like new. (except the corrosion pitting...) Never re-use a crock pot for food after doing this though... the antifreeze is deadly.

Cleaned up from stuck engines typically have some corrosion damage... How much? Depends on how much fuel was in it when it was stored.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:37 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Nirtomethane is the corrosive agent - especially on ballraces; I use up to 60% nitro so am very careful about flooding an engine with 'after-run oil' following use (auto transmission fluid does just as well as 'trade names') and keep it well wrapped (in an airplane), or bagged. Do not have any stuck problems thereafter
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:15 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
Nirtomethane is the corrosive agent - especially on ballraces; I use up to 60% nitro so am very careful about flooding an engine with 'after-run oil' following use (auto transmission fluid does just as well as 'trade names') and keep it well wrapped (in an airplane), or bagged. Do not have any stuck problems thereafter
So I'm not the only one who has been "nuts" enough to go to 60%

Overnight in a jar with the nitro based fuel (especially near 20%) won't do any more damage to the engine.... just don't leave it a week.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2005
4 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

I assumed fuel would work but I just wanted to be sure.
cnc9130 is offline Find More Posts by cnc9130