HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:56 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Alert
Overview the construction of Outrunner Motor Kit KH-278

This is a new thread to overview the construction of our new outrunner motor kit, KH-278. We do welcome and want to listen any comments from all of you. It is very important to us for producing and fine tune our upcoming products. Thank very

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
www.komodohobby.com
Da V. is offline Find More Posts by Da V.
Last edited by Da V.; Mar 15, 2005 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:13 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Packing and Download the building instruction

The Building Instruction is available to download at our website.

Here is the link http://www.komodohobby.com/download....ame=KH-278.pdf

As you can see, we make the building instruction very simple and easy to read. It is good for beginner to assemble our kit easily by following the step by step. For experienced motor builders, we guess you don't even need the building instruction and can bulid this motor. Because it is very easy to assemble.

All of our kit are packed carefully. It makes sure all parts are not destroyed by post office or courier.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:20 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
NdFeB Magnets

You can choose either N50 or N45H magnets for Standard Kit or Advance Kit

The Operation Temperature of N50 magnets is up to 80C & for the N45H is up to 120C.

Photo shows the magnets were marked "X" to indicated the magnetic pattern in NSNSNS.......
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:31 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Place magnets into the bell

We used steel and CNC machine to make the bell. Photo shows 12pcs magnets were placed inside the bell. You can just easily to secure the position of magnets by using CA glue. Since high graded NdFeB magnet is very easy to breaked, so that, the kit includes 3pcs spare magnets in case you break the magnet by accident.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:39 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
3mm threaded steel shaft

This 3mm threaded steel shaft is also manufactured by high-end CNC machine. You can mount a propeller without any adaptor or modification. It can give you convience to change propeller in a short time. Photo shows the shaft inserted into the bell.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:42 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,859 Posts
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Mar 17, 2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:00 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Winding

The step of winding always give beginner headache. For the beginner, you don't need to worry about it. It is actually very easy to make it. Our building instruction explained it in a very simple way. You can just follow the step by step in the manual. At the end, you can make it with a cup of coffee....

And, we make the edge of stator very smooth. It is not easy to scratch the magnet wire while you doing winding. Of course, don't abuse it.

As you can see from the photo, the room for magnet wire is very big. Even we winded 24g and 12turns at the stator, there still had much space to wind more magnet wire in the stator. By our experience, we can wind 29g at 40turns without any trouble.
Last edited by Da V.; Mar 15, 2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:15 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
A fine looking kit.

Anxious to see some performance data. 23.8x6.5mm stator should be a nice sweet spot for just a hair more power than a std 22.7x5mm or 20x6mm CD-R motor.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:26 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Thank you for yours comments. Here is the link to shows some of the performance of this motor. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347104

We will launch more performance data in very near future by different windings at here and our site. We petty sure you can find some of data that meet your specific using propose..

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
www.komodohobby.com
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:33 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Insert a shaft holder to stator

This is a photo shows a shaft holder inserted to the stator. You can place either ball bearings or copper sleeves to the shaft holder. In the advance kit, it includes ball bearings and connectors while standard kit includes copper sleeves only.
Last edited by Da V.; Mar 15, 2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:39 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Join the Assembled Stator and Bell together

Finally, you can slot the assembled stator into the bell through the main shaft and place a c-clip to secure the whole motor system. Now!!! Place it on your plane and go to fly....
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:50 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
In this kit, we used 10 x 6 x 1.5 N50 NdFeB magnet and 23.8 x 6.6 stator. By this combination, it can spin a larger propeller at lower ampere. It directly increase the flying time and performance by using this motor.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:57 PM
Designer of Flying Things
Overland Park,Kansas
Joined Apr 2004
480 Posts
I build with 24mm stators from toshiba cd drives when possible.
I really like the AaABbBCcC wind pattern with 10 magnets.

In my opinion this kit looks to have more power potential than the other cd rom based offerings under this price range.

However, the price is high to begin with, but then add shipping to USA, and it is hard to justify. Will there be any distibuters in the USA to get the shipping down for the aveage joe?

Lastly, You could sell these like hotcakes, if you can get the price in line with the APEX or ACW, DIY kits. I think around 22 bucks US.

Heck, I would buy these larger cans and stators all day if the parts price was in line with gobrushless.

Your product looks good in the photos.
Rich
-=SLaPPiE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=SLaPPiE=-
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2004
734 Posts
I like the looks of your kit but I have a few questions. First, why do you use 10mm magnets when your stator is only 6.6mm tall? Seems like you could use smaller magnets and get the same performance but with a lighter motor. Second question, please correct me if I misread your building instructions, is it accurate that the shaft is a slip fit into the bell which is then secured with CA? If this is so have you had problems with the shaft slipping or coming loose? My experience tells me that this maybe a weak point in the motor. Lastly how much is shipping to the U.S.?

Latrans
latrans is offline Find More Posts by latrans
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Closed Thread