HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:20 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
The E49 is 1.7 oz. Light and has ventilation holes and built in heatsink. Fits all gearboxes, (GWS, Cobri, etc.) Has a stronger shaft and is more effecient than the Himaxx. I have both, now have 3 E49's. And they cost $65. Don't waste your time with the E37 version, no power. But I like American made when possible, try Razor 400, the Chilipepper or AON motors. American and well made. My Razor 400 is amazing, best of all motors I own for effeciency, lightness, (1 oz.) and low amps, high power. For bigger planes like what your using now, go with the gearbox for larger props and more thrust. Outrunners are great, but suck amps when ya get to this size and will require a heavier battery, point of diminishing returns starts to kick in. Good luck!
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:33 PM
Am I registered?
Randy Due's Avatar
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
The E49 is 1.7 oz. Light and has ventilation holes and built in heatsink. Fits all gearboxes, (GWS, Cobri, etc.) Has a stronger shaft and is more effecient than the Himaxx. I have both, now have 3 E49's. And they cost $65. Don't waste your time with the E37 version, no power. But I like American made when possible, try Razor 400, the Chilipepper or AON motors. American and well made. My Razor 400 is amazing, best of all motors I own for effeciency, lightness, (1 oz.) and low amps, high power. For bigger planes like what your using now, go with the gearbox for larger props and more thrust. Outrunners are great, but suck amps when ya get to this size and will require a heavier battery, point of diminishing returns starts to kick in. Good luck!
Thanks! I was worried about the outrunners, in that respect, on this size of plane. Just watched your video.....WOW! No words can describe how cool that is! So what gear ratio would you use if you were to go with the razor 400 on a 38 oz plane?

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:34 PM
Peakaboo!
Gwelan's Avatar
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Congrats for your new plane Randy.

I realy like the water noodle under the wing; it's both safe and elegant.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:38 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
I limit my razor 400 to 20 oz planes and under now, seems to be better all around for my 3D flying. I'd really go with the E49. It takes my 56 in. 32 oz. plane straight up from my hand! Throw it in the Himaxx gearbox and your good to go.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:42 PM
Am I registered?
Randy Due's Avatar
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
I limit my razor 400 to 20 oz planes and under now, seems to be better all around for my 3D flying. I'd really go with the E49. It takes my 56 in. 32 oz. plane straight up from my hand! Throw it in the Himaxx gearbox and your good to go.
Okay. Where can I get an E49?


Gwelan,

Thanks!


Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:20 PM
Registered User
Pasco, Washington
Joined May 2004
576 Posts
Waterdog

Thanks for posting the video, it was great. I like the way it skips when landing. I like th e looks of the plane also. So if you were to build a new bird dog type plane for AP what would you build?
RidgeTop is offline Find More Posts by RidgeTop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:02 PM
Registered User
dreslism's Avatar
Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,882 Posts
E49

http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=EFLM3005
dreslism is offline Find More Posts by dreslism
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:21 PM
Am I registered?
Randy Due's Avatar
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreslism
Thanks!
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:30 PM
Registered User
Pasco, Washington
Joined May 2004
576 Posts
Randy
I can't figure out how you got to 38 oz. Can you substitute bluecor for some of the other materials? If you can get the weight down to 28 oz you would be a lot better off. I sure like the concept of a Bird Dog pusher. Keep going.
RidgeTop is offline Find More Posts by RidgeTop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:51 PM
Am I registered?
Randy Due's Avatar
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop
Randy
I can't figure out how you got to 38 oz. Can you substitute bluecor for some of the other materials? If you can get the weight down to 28 oz you would be a lot better off. I sure like the concept of a Bird Dog pusher. Keep going.
Lots of glue. Well, that's part of the problem. I'm still running the Nikon with the internal 2AA batts, so it and the canister are 10oz. My gear (Batt., servos, rx, esc and motor) is around 11oz (sp400 & GB are too heavy) The fuse is around 7 oz and the wing around 10 oz. Wing and fuse have way too much glue. I glued 3 layers of fff for the fuse and added some plywood in a couple of areas. I'm seriously considering building a wing jig to bake the fff in the oven, like I do my smaller wings. It would eliminate the rows of glue in the bend and makes a really rigid wing. I would be able to make 24" panels in my oven. That would probably save an oz. I'm certain that I could save another oz on the fuse and should save at least an oz on the motor upgrade. I think I may be stuck on the camera weight unless I run it on a single lipo, but I don't have a charger that will charge just one cell right now. So, overall I should be able to build the next one at least 3 oz lighter. So, I think I can get the next one down to 35oz, which would help a lot. But, even at 38 oz, it's only 8.3oz wing loading on the 60 inch wing, so with the right power it should be okay. At 35oz it would be really good at 7.64oz loading...that would be a real floater! It definitely has room for some improvement.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:25 PM
Am I registered?
Randy Due's Avatar
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
I got these specs on the E49....Continuous Amps: 7A Peak Amps: 12A. Is that right? Can we keep the amps down that low? It seems really low to me. Maybe that's not the correct specs on this motor. Anyone know for sure about this?

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 06:57 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Randy, check out the thread on the SlowTabria on how to bend the wings. No need for glue in the bends or baking jigs, time consuming, heavy, and ugly.
Bend them, wrap them in tape and your flying. Mine never warp or bend and if they do, a little heat and your flying again. Overbuilding adds weight. My 56 in ST(SlowTabria) weighs 19.6 ozw/o battery, 30 ozs with camera and battery. You'll get yours down to 30 oz no problem. My 60 in.scratch built blufoam Buccaneer weighs all of 26 oz. (picture below) and its covered in Econolite.
The E49 amps is correct on a 12in prop. with D gear. I've burst it to 18 amps/190 watts on the 13 in.prop. Little sucker is a sleeper, really goes.
E49 w D gear, 1260 prop, apogee 3cell 1020ma.
WOT-11.8 amps, 117 watts
1/2 throttle-5.9 amps, 63 watts
With 2100ma, 3cell; 11.92 amps, 122 watts (12 in, Dgear)
Hope that helps.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 06:59 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Ooops again (!)

Buccaneer pic..
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:50 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Ridgetop..

Sorry I missed your earlier post (#21). What would I build next for a Cessna style AP plane? Why, the SlowTabria of course! I haven't posted the latest video yet, but this thing flies great and does stuff they are not normally supposed to due! I'll post it when its done. Giving it some thought, I would probably work on a AP Seaplane, waterproof and tough. If I can hook a lure to it, maybe do some aerial fishin'!
Or maybe build the "NoodleDog", Randy's new bird into a Seaplane! Just think, pictures in the air, and when it lands in water, snap some underwater shots too!
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:52 PM
Am I registered?
Randy Due's Avatar
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Giving it some thought, I would probably work on a AP Seaplane, waterproof and tough. If I can hook a lure to it, maybe do some aerial fishin'!
Or maybe build the "NoodleDog", Randy's new bird into a Seaplane! Just think, pictures in the air, and when it lands in water, snap some underwater shots too!

You know, you make that sound almost possible! Well, at least you know it won't sink.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you get when you combine a CP piccolo and a nitro airboat? rkramer Micro Helis 3 Jul 05, 2005 04:02 PM
What do you get when you have a 3 way? Larry3215 Sport Planes 5 Oct 21, 2004 02:29 AM
what do you get when you cross a Picco stick and a tm Pablito Parkflyers 20 Feb 06, 2002 09:51 AM