SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:55 AM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
What Do You Get When You Cross Snoop-E With Buzzdog?

Mama! Say it ain't so!.......Snoopdog? Okay, so we might have to work on the name, if the plane ends up worthy of one. I've been messing around in the shop over the weekend and this is what I came up with. I've been watcing the Buzzdog, Waterdog videos and really been interested in the way they fly. There's just a couple of things that worried me. I fly in an unfriendly enviroment that offers no good place to land. Landings are hard to make with landing gear being ripped off in the rough ground. Belly landings are hard with a large propped tractor. This is why I prefer pushers, so the wheels started to turn in my head......why not take the wings and tail section from the Buzzdog and combine it with the basic idea behind my Snoop-E? I chose the water noodle side shooter over the front mount, because I want to carry my more expensive camera if possible and more protection is good. I'm not through covering it and don't have a power system yet, but I did test fly it with a 7.2v speed 400 on 2 cell lipos (4:1GB, 12x8 prop). It was really under powered that way. I couldn't get any altitude, and didn't expect to.....but the fact that it even flew at 38oz with that motor is promising. I'm really leaning towards a Nippy Black 1812/100, but I'm undecided. The Nippy would save a couple oz off the geared 400 and should be plenty of power if couple wit 3 cell lipos. If it works, I already have ideas to lighten the airframe up some. 1st pic is Snoop-E, 2nd one is Buzz's famous Buzzdog, last two are the ..er, uh...Snoopdog.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:23 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
It has a very....ummmm....UNUSUAL look.
Looks like it will fly well, with enough power.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:06 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Landing gear is optional. Use it when I want to land like plane, harrier to a stop when I need to land like helicopter. Have smacked it in to curbs and never torn it off. Really don't need it other than to hold it up straight when on the ground. I like your Snoop"dog" idea but worry about the weight and crash survivability. Have smashed mine into many hard things on purpose and by accident and have never done anything to it other than strip a servo. In the end, these are disposable and quick to build. Though I like your idea, I'd be afraid to use it in the tight areas I sometimes fly. Great for open fields and wide areas. Keep up the design work!

Latest 56 inch. and build thread; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&page=8&pp=15
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:52 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Oops..

sorry Randy, was looking at wrong pic (computer overload!). More I look at it, more I like it. Too many people try to build full blown UAV's with too much metal or composites or fragile balsa that they end up with something I wouldn't want falling out of the sky on my head or hitting the front end of my full scale. "Elegance in simplicity, simplicity in elegance". In the end, you just want a good picture, and a simple, great flying plane, not the space shuttle! Yep, I like your design alot.....
Old Mar 15, 2005, 04:15 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
I like the design too....been putting together a very similar design myself. I really like all that foam up front..... it will absorb a lot of the energy upon impact..... protecting your equipment and softening the blow to whatever gets in the way....single boom keeping it simple.....the skeg is a nice place to hold for hand launch....and something to skid in on.....simple, inexpensive foam construction..... all in all about as close to an ideal ap plane as you can come!
john
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old Mar 15, 2005, 05:08 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Looks kinda like Mountain Models EDF Jet.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Mar 15, 2005, 05:54 PM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Wow, I like that a lot! Looks great!

How is the camera canister attached to the fuse?

Matt
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:41 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Waterdog,

I agree. Simple is better. I don't even bother with tilt and pan mounts or anything complex. The way I fly, it wouldn't last long anyway. I like the idea of quick and easy build....and cheap. I really like your plane and the others that are similar in design. I built my wing and tail from the specs on Buzzmans pdf plans. That way if I don't like the way mine turns out, I can just build the fuse, according to the plans and have a tractor. In fact, I may eventually end up with one anyway. I've seen most of the videos of the different variations of your plane, and I love the way it flies.

Birdman,

You got it! The skid is great to hand launch with and land on. The idea of having break away foam in front of the expensive stuff adds protection for sure. I've already tested that feature. On the underpowered test flight, I could never gain much altitude. I just flew a few lazy circles within a very tight area among the trees about 10 ft off the deck. During the last circle it lost a little altitude before the next turn and I over estimated how much power I could pull out off the sp400 and caught the wing in the grass before I could pull up. It pulled the nose in and snapped it right off! NO problem to glue back. I prefer that to happen instead of the shock being absorbed by the rest of the cargo and plane. Then, on top of that, I'm hoping the water noodle will soften any blows even more.

Dzipper,

It is somewhat strange looking, huh?

Matt,

The camera canister is just a foam water noodle with thin ply circles glued on the ends. I have nylon bolts running through the ply that attach to ply braces on the fuse. The noodle is cut in half and held together with two large rubber bands.

Randy
Last edited by Randy Due; Mar 17, 2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:44 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215
Looks kinda like Mountain Models EDF Jet.

It really does! I just went there to take a look. The nose looks almost the same, just somewhat smaller.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:56 PM
Pasco, Washington
Joined May 2004
576 Posts
Randy
I think you've got a good concept there. Keep us up to date as you continue.

I have to add my thanks to Waterdog and Buzzman, I really enjoy my Bird Dog type plane that I call Buzzugly. By the way, I wonder how Waterdog's Birdog Seaplane worked out?
RidgeTop is offline Find More Posts by RidgeTop
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:21 AM
err...see where it went?
Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
605 Posts
the Snoopdog looks fantastic!

i think you are on a winner there, keep us posted on the Randy Dog
crooser is offline Find More Posts by crooser
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:08 AM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Thanks! I tried 3 cells on the sp400 this A.m. and it had enough power, but was way too windy so I didn't stay up but a minute. Online motorcalc say it should be around 25oz st. thrust that way. Something with over 30 should be ideal. Still trying to decide which motor is best for me.

Randy
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:01 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Try the

new Hacker/Eflite E49. Gobs of power on 3 cell. Goes vertical with any prop 9 - 13 inches. (177 watts with a 1360 on D gear) Ridegtop, here is the video to the Seaplane. Now power it with a cd rom motor, flies even better!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:04 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Oops..

here's the video; http://www.tornlogic.com/avov/Waterdog.wmv
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:02 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
new Hacker/Eflite E49. Gobs of power on 3 cell. Goes vertical with any prop 9 - 13 inches. (177 watts with a 1360 on D gear) Ridegtop, here is the video to the Seaplane. Now power it with a cd rom motor, flies even better!
Thanks. Who has the best price on this motor? I haven't looked at it yet. I've been torn between a Nippy Black 1812/100 and a Himax 2025/5300. From the charts, it looks like the geared Himax will be more efficient, but then the idea of an outrunner without the gearbox sounds good. Then, on the other hand the gearbox is more versatile, then on the other hand the outrunner........I'll bet you've all gone through this before, huh?
I'm looking forward to getting a good motor on this thing. Especially after the 3 cell flight this A.M. I'm really leaning toward the Himax at the moment, because I can change gear ratio and props to switch between 2 and 3 cells with enough thrust.(versatile) The Himax come with the different pinions and a prop adapter for $75. I just wonder how often I'll eat the pinion. Anyway, I'd be really interested in looking at the E49 also. I would like to keep the motor weight down below 3 oz if possible. The sp400 with GB is over 4, if I remember correctly. I need to lighten the aft end a little.

Randy