SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2001, 12:14 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2001
635 Posts
KeithK: I have looked at the IFO and I was very tempted to get one, but from everything I've read it doesn't handle breezes very well. If that's not true then I would definitely reconsider it.

Tiny, Gnat, Lil Hornet, IFO... so many choices!!

tom_yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by tom_yellowblue
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2001, 12:34 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Bleriot said:
"The mylar was unable to deal with lawn stubble and torsional stress."

Holy mackerel!
Is it =that= bad? I can live with patching it. That "balsa right" or whatever it is you paint on the wood, let dry, lay down covering and iron sounds easy. Would a lighter method of attachment be better? When people talk of Reynolds Wrap. Is that from a grocery store? What would be a good, strong, really light covering to repair it with? How does what it comes with stack up with other stuff as far as wt/sq ft.

What's the torsional stress damage? In flight. or in transit? You mean it breaks before something else might if it catches a wing?

I love the build and the looks. Nothing else seems to fit me. I'm sure NE would take it back (hasn't arrived yet), but from all my looking, I can't think of anything I'd replace it with. It's so beautiful. I'll take plenty of pictures of it before I subject it to a "RB 47 landing."

Thinking about it, I'll bet it's about as delicate as it looks. Here's a picture for those who haven't seen one. We're talking about the little Gnat.
http://www.nesail.com/gnat.htm

TIA again for the help.
RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old May 10, 2001, 10:41 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
CoClimber,
Wow! That's the full lesson. I've saved it all.

Many thanks!
RB 47
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Dec 08, 2001, 06:07 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
When I cover with reynolds, I use a UHU purple glue stick. It works great! it's nice because you can lay the covering down on the wing, and it sticks to the glue. But then you can strech and adjust the covering to get it just right, and then leave it alone. The covering will stay in that position until the glue dries, and then you are all set! And it holds the covering down great. I also have some balsaloc here that I use with lite span, I outta try that with the reynolds
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC