HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
To be stuck inside of Cleveland with the CA fingers again

If youre anything like me (and I hope to god your not), when building a balsa kit, you wind up with a fair amount of CA on whatever extremeties you happen to be using to build your kit. Ive tried acetone (nail polish remover) with mixed results, Ive tried cutting it off with an exacto (ouch), Ive tried debonder (its ok). These methods usually result in the same thing:thrown objects, hurt feelings and foul language.

Instead try this. Chuck up the sanding wheel in your dremel. Set it on low speed and just grind the CA right off. It vibrates and feels a little weird but it does the trick pretty fast. I suppose if you wanted to you could grind the fingerprints right off if your line of work requires you to leave your fingerprints at home. Thats it, good luck kids, now get to bed.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:33 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
CA finger…I try to use one finger for catching drips, spreading CA over an area/fissure etc…usually I can take off the CA film that builds up in a single pass…one piece often...manually…

Like the thread title song reference…

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
You can also use a pumice stone like people use on their foot calluses, or a paper towel to catch drips.

Don't glue the paper towel to your finger and blame me.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:50 PM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
614 Posts
Yeah ... so

Yeah so I should probly keep this story to myself but I think its has to be public domain by now!

Anyway many many many many years ago I was trying to glue a "too large" rubbers foot on my bike kick stand.... well my solution to keep it on was to fill it with CA glue (Zap at that time) well I had so much of it in an open space it just would not dry fast enough (kids and their impatients) well I decided to hit it with Zap's brand accelerator<sp> and try it up fast... yeah it dried fast alright... the bottom of the cup if you will dried so fast it cracked shooting CA glue in all directions... but with the accelerator on it it dried instantly to everything that it stuck too. Including my eye! Well I passed it off for about an hour that it did not happen but I can feel it on my eye and it hurt.... so finally I told my dad what I had done... and well he tried to get it off and was unable to.... so off to the hospital we went.

Well believe it or not I walked in with 20/20 vision... but bad news was that the glue had stuck to the cornia <sp> of my eye (the colored part) Just below my pupil. So they put some stuff to numb my eye... that was cool and I wanted to leave right after that...but no... Then they put dye in my eye so they could see the CA better.... then ... I had to put my head in some strap thing... and they turned out all the lights and shined a blue light in my eye ... I guess the dye lights up in the blue light showing any irregular things... i.e. CA glue. So they show me this needle And say that I will not feel a thing...um yeah! right.... and well in came the needle and a small prick later the CA popped right off my eye. 7 days of an eye patch... Well ok I went Deep sea fishing the next day and took it off but ... and a lot of icky goo for my eye and about a week later I felt nothing and still have ... um close to 20/20 vision today...

So moral here....... (kids listen up) if you use too much CA wear eye protection LOL

eX
Excogitate is offline Find More Posts by Excogitate
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
No, you're right to share your story. It may warn off some other person doing the same thing, with even worse cosequences. You were relatively lucky.

Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:12 PM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
614 Posts
Luck

I think lucky is an understatement.... granted this happened oh.....16 years ago I still shiver if I hear CA crack!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 07:24 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
I really hate to have to keep posting this everytime a thread like this starts.

You should really avoid contact with CA as much as possible. You can develop a severe, painful allergic reaction to CA. Your skin will essentially fall off. If you get flu or head cold like symptoms when exposed to regular CA fumes, you're already on your way to developing the allergy. Things you can do to minimize your contact are; use barrier cream, use gloves, don't use CA.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:47 AM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Feb 2005
320 Posts
I just live with the CA on my fingers. It's not that bad and eventually you just forget it and it dissapears.

edit: After reading Rogers post I think it's better if I start wearing gloves!!
experimental_pil is offline Find More Posts by experimental_pil
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:08 AM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
614 Posts
LOL for a while there I was using CA to close minor cuts LOL!

Oh and fumes!!! I found a broken bottle of CA in my box the other night so I threw it in the trash can next to me... ugh fumes filled the room as it started setting inside the trash.. finally I could not stand it and took it outside. I am about at the bottom of the list for CA safety... however I do keep a bottle of debonder handy at all times!!!!

eX
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:24 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,143 Posts
To be stuck inside of Cleveland...

Is that east-side or west-side Cleveland?

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:39 AM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Go odourless,

I had allergic reaction to regular CA, went odourless and now have little if any difficulty. Working with foam mandates odourless unless it is ELAPOR or like.

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:50 AM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
CA is often used to close wounds by field medics etc- works great!
If I'm going to do a messy glue job- I use those latex or blue non-latex disposable gloves. They are cheap, thin enough to still feel what you're doing and then you aren't covered in glue when the phone rings.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:51 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Jan 2004
74 Posts
So I guess chewing the hardered CA off of my fingertips is not a good idea....
Dcubed is offline Find More Posts by Dcubed
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:01 PM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcubed
So I guess chewing the hardered CA off of my fingertips is not a good idea....

LOL!

Yucky!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:34 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
CA is often used to close wounds by field medics etc- works great!
If I'm going to do a messy glue job- I use those latex or blue non-latex disposable gloves. They are cheap, thin enough to still feel what you're doing and then you aren't covered in glue when the phone rings.
Yes, CA has been used for various medical applications; however, the formulation of medical CA is significantly different from commercial CA. Commercial CA forms a hazardous compound (IIRC, formaldehyde) as it cures - the medical stuff does not. One of the OTC medical/first aid manufacturers makes a "spray on bandage" which contains a medical CA along with an antiseptic.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr