HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:52 PM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Best first time sailplane for experienced flyer

I have been flying now for 20 years, It is about time I learned to thermal and sail. I really want an electric sailplane. I dont have launching equipment, nor do I want to buy it. I have brushless motors and all kinds of Lipos that I could use to help save the weight. I just need the plane! Whats a user friendly and pretty easy to fly bird? I have a 9C radio for mixing if that helps at all. Thanks guys.. PS, who can help me find lift ? I know it sounds stupid, but does anybody in the Grenville SC or Ashville NC area fly that could teach me the ins and outs?
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2005, 03:05 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Here's a N.C. RC Soaring email list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nc-rc-soaring/

Also a club. Down East Soaring Society, Wilson, North Carolina. Some contact info on this page.
http://www.silentflight.org/Coordina...rdinators.html

Finally, a few contacts may be gleaned from this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276390
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Mar 14, 2005, 03:21 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Any ideas on a plane jon?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 03:49 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
What is your budget?

What wing span are you looking at?

I have had several E-sailplanes, from 1.8M up to 3.1M. By far the best flyer has been the 3.1 Graphite with D-box wing, a bit on the expensive side but in my opinion worth every penny.

Doug
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Mar 14, 2005, 03:54 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
I was looking at this one and a few others in the electric catagory...

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1589
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:33 PM
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Ava-E from http://www.kennedycomposites.com ? Different budget level, though. I have owned an Ava, which frankly was one of the best and most fun sailplanes I have owned in 10 years.

From the specs, the plane you mentioned looks very nice. Although I have reservations about the vendor.

The Elegant is in the same budget range..
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/elegant.htm
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:35 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Yeah, I am the same way, I use them as a guild and for part numbers. Generally very high and they nail you on shipping.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:47 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Yeah, I am the same way, I use them as a guide and for part numbers. Generally very high and they nail you on shipping.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:03 PM
RRD
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Oct 2001
343 Posts
I agree with JonStone in every way. The Ava-e is my favorite by far. I don't fly competition and I'm not that great a sailplane pilot, but the Ava is just so simple and easy that it makes me look good. It is a bit pricey for a first sailplane, but now I wish I had bought it first. I take it every time I fly. Heck, its the reason I go!

Barry Kennedy was really easy to deal with. Not so NSP. Most of my other aircraft are from NSP. While they often have great products, the customer service and attitude are so lacking that I swore off of them over a year ago. It just wasn't worth it. Shipping costs were just the tip of the ice berg. Sorry, didn't mean to bash. Reflex.

Bob
RRD is offline Find More Posts by RRD
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:44 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Where do you fly ? GRAMS field?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:00 PM
RRD
Joined Oct 2001
343 Posts
I fly at the Emerald R/C field out by the Greenwood landfill or down at a friends farm in Saluda. How about you? (I just noticed you are in Greenville.)

Bob
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Kennedy is not cheap on shipping either. Mailing those big Snowboard boxes back and forth. BUT... the plane arrives in a near bullet proof case.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:56 PM
RRD
Joined Oct 2001
343 Posts
Funny you should mention that. My Ava had some slight damage on one wingtip that was easily repaired. The snowboard case had a substantial dent in one end. The case material was so tough I couldn't even flex that dent back out. Someone must have tried to crush it with a bulldozer. Any less of a case and my Ava would have been dust.

Bob
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:46 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,907 Posts
You might try giving Art Hobby a look. Has some nice gliders and electrics, prices are very reasonable.

Have you given a high start any thought? Easy to set up, just pound the stake in the ground. IMHO, a true glider, not an electric glider, is much better to learn thermals with, aside from a discus launch hlg, that is. I think there is something about having power available that keeps one from really concentrating on lift.

But check out the hlg forum. If you want to learn to read air, can't beat a hlg. Discus launch, that is. Just my two cents.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:44 AM
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2005
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStone
Ava-E from http://www.kennedycomposites.com ? Different budget level, though. I have owned an Ava, which frankly was one of the best and most fun sailplanes I have owned in 10 years.
Nice! The AVA/E/F look damn nice - clean lines and all!

Make me wonder whether anyone knows if Kennedy Composites sell to overseas buyers?
becsta is offline Find More Posts by becsta