HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:45 AM
Smolensk, Russian Federation
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
Power Switch with Voltage indicator

It is relatively simple power switch with 4-LEDs battery voltage indicatior. Used MOSFET can easy handle about 4 Amp without overheating, it is enougt for most common aplications (If you can glue small cooler to mosfet it can teorethicaly handle up to 18A)
U1 - 3.0 volt linear regulator
R6 - you may want to decrease down to 56 Ohms - LEDs be brighter.
Afrer power of at first time you will preset four voltage levels for 5-cells battery and next four fot 4-cells. For enter to preset mode push and hold button then apply power.
Romych is offline Find More Posts by Romych
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:26 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
Romych: Thanks for sharing your circuit....whats the current drain of your circuit when its off, I guess its the same current Drain of PIC when its in sleep mode.....I like your idea, cause I have encounter some electrical failure using those Mechanical Switches.

have you tested it your helicopter/plane, I just worried if something happended to your pic controller if its HANG-UP...it might accidentally turn-off the MOSFET.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Old Mar 14, 2005, 06:13 AM
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
During "power-off" it is draw about 300uA - it is mainly "stand-by" current of voltage regulator. On next board I plane to use MC78LC30NTR (Quiescent current no more 3,3 uA). PIC sleep current relatively small... I am use this switch (on my fun-fly glow plane with four stroke "enough vibration" engine) about two month (jan 2005-mar 2005) at -15..+6C ambient temperature. After power on mosfet is ON, I am use WDT (watchdog timer) to prevent hang-up. To power-off need hold button down about 1 sec. To power on enough short touch of button.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:00 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
Romych: You might use PIC output pin to power a reference Voltage. this will further lower the Turn-OFF current Drain, but this will need extra I/O pin.....you might sacrifice one of those use by LED indicator...I am not sure how your LED indicate voltage, Is it just simple On and Off, or you might use a Modulated LED light....you might use a different Blink Rate to show the Voltage Level.....I guess this can be implemented on your future project.

Keep us posted on your future project.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:22 AM
Joined Oct 2004
446 Posts
Very clever way of multiplexing 4 LEDs on 3 I/O pins.

Adam
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
More clever - six LEDs
From microchip Tips&Tricks document
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:46 AM
Joined Oct 2004
446 Posts
Very nice. I had to look at it for a minute to figure out how it would work. I am currently using Atmels and will have to try this. Although the Atmels can't source as much current so it may not work as well.

Adam
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:43 AM
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
This schematic utilise ability of I/O pins going to tri-state. About current - for home enoug some milliamps (about 5) for enough brightnes of LED, under sunligh it is not enough

I am have deal with ATTiny 15L it can handle up to 40mA per IO pin (by datasheet, not tested by me).
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:59 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2004
154 Posts
Nice circuit.. and I all most understand what is going on... I think... Is U1, the 3.0 volt linear regulator shown incorrectly on the schematic?
just_lkn is offline Find More Posts by just_lkn
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:17 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
Yes, I guess Romych, did not notice it too.

Romych: Here my another suggestion, which you might add to your future project. I wish you could add an Integrated Timer. this will allow you to monitor the Total time used since the last Reset....you can use a CODED PUSH Sequence to go to different mode

Press for 1 SEC will turn the unit off.
Press for 2 SEC will output the Total Integrated TIME....Output Total Time by Blinking the LED in group of 3, for 3 DIGIT time, just count the number of Blink.
Press for 5 SEC will reset the Integrated timer to zero.

Guys: I use an ANALOG WRIST watch to monitor the total time used...I use TIMEX, just use to silicon diode and 1K resistor in series and connected to receiver supply, use the 2 diode drop to power the wrist watch.

I also use the TIMEX wrist watch to monitor the total discharge time of Battery Discharger.

Ellion
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:28 AM
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lkn
Nice circuit.. and I all most understand what is going on... I think... Is U1, the 3.0 volt linear regulator shown incorrectly on the schematic?
Yes, I am draw schematic symbols bu myself, and name pins incorrectly. Left will ne IN right - OUT. Thanks for attention.
(it is russian 3.0 v lin. reg. analogue of 78L03 I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy-b
Press for 1 SEC will turn the unit off.
Press for 2 SEC will output the Total Integrated TIME....Output Total Time by Blinking the LED in group of 3, for 3 DIGIT time, just count the number of Blink.
Press for 5 SEC will reset the Integrated timer to zero.
It is good idea. But I think 2 digits time enough. I am plane to use for indication small LCD display from old Japanies of Chinesse ($1-$2) digital hand clocks. By this display we may show percentage/Voltage/Clock and may be average current. But it require many pins or some decoders chip (binary to seven-segments code). In this case display may be cyclic.