HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:11 AM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Dec 2004
469 Posts
Does this motor work with the stock aerohawk?

Wanted to know if this motor (High Authority Tail Motor - Wired w/ Pinion) will work as an upgrade to the stock tail motor on the aerohawk. Also, I'm using a 2 cell 1200 mah lipo.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/skylark_upgrades.html

Or would it be better to do a dual tail motor setup? (Twin Tail Motor Mount and tail Guard Kit)

http://www.helihobby.com/html/skylark_upgrades.html

Or are there any better ideas?

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a monster 4200 pro carbon tail motor?

Thanks
ariesmars is offline Find More Posts by ariesmars
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:32 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesmars

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a monster 4200 pro carbon tail motor?

Thanks
What is a "monster 4200 pro carbon tail motor" ?

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:33 AM
Up and Dowwwwnn
Tampa, FL
Joined Jul 2004
411 Posts
You could jsut get the GWS edp50 motor, http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...oductId=gws100.
It the same thing as the high authority motor from Ikarus (someone correct me if I am wrong). Its cheaper, like 10 bucks and you dont need to use gears, it will give u solid performace in DD. The monster 4200, I think, can be found at heli-fever.com

Virat
Virat is offline Find More Posts by Virat
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:38 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
This is the same motor as the "high authority tail motor".

You'll need a pinion puller to move the pinion.

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=S663356

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:45 AM
Up and Dowwwwnn
Tampa, FL
Joined Jul 2004
411 Posts
I think the monster 4200 is like a short version of the ips motor, well atleast from the looks of it. Did a lil search on google. Jsut like the short version of the feigao ips brushless.
Virat is offline Find More Posts by Virat
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:05 PM
se michigan
Joined Apr 2004
33 Posts
I used a similar dual tail motor set up that like 90 used to sell. It kept up with a brushed main motor on both 2S and 3S lipo but wouldn't quite hack it on a brushless without 3S lipo. I wired mine in parallel so the current flow was cut in half to each motor so they stayed nice and cool. I was using a pixie 7 for ESC.

I put in the fiago BL about a month ago which, of course, made everything better. It humms along sweetly instead of grinding like the geared one.

In short, it's worth trying if you are currently having problems.
gomojo99 is offline Find More Posts by gomojo99
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:36 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
I had that motor on my Aerohawk. For me it just weighs too much and you have to really push the batt's forward and cut down the boom to make it work. On 2s1p power you are better off with a good N20 motor, I'm basically flying the N20 right now on 3s1p power and it's holding nicely....

G109
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Mar 14, 2005, 06:46 PM
Joined Dec 2004
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey109
I had that motor on my Aerohawk. For me it just weighs too much and you have to really push the batt's forward and cut down the boom to make it work. On 2s1p power you are better off with a good N20 motor, I'm basically flying the N20 right now on 3s1p power and it's holding nicely....

G109

Were did you get your N20 motor? Is this a link to that motor. It looks just like the stock tail motor. How long would that one last?

Also, how many flights or how long (hours) would the high authority tail motor last?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:11 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
I can't report on the High Authority Motor, didn't have it in long enough. Like I said, the N20 is the way to go.....It's made for 7.2 volts and it's a brushed motor....Also the Esky Tail Motor is reporting longer lasting without weight penalty, I also flew a Colco Motor a long time, but it was 50/50 one good one bad......Don't focus too much on tail brushed motors.....keep buying them, I still have stock motors just incase.....as long as you don't put the 3s1p power on them they sometimes last a long time.....

www.homefly.com has N20 motors...

G109
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2004
469 Posts
Quote:
I can't report on the High Authority Motor, didn't have it in long enough. Like I said, the N20 is the way to go.....It's made for 7.2 volts and it's a brushed motor....Also the Esky Tail Motor is reporting longer lasting without weight penalty, I also flew a Colco Motor a long time, but it was 50/50 one good one bad......Don't focus too much on tail brushed motors.....keep buying them, I still have stock motors just incase.....as long as you don't put the 3s1p power on them they sometimes last a long time.....

www.homefly.com has N20 motors...

G109
I will purchase an N20. How many would you recommend I get to start and make sure it works? Also, are there any other modifications I should consider?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:51 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
You could PM me for a copy of my Aerohawk Tips and Tricks Paper, include your email addy......and of course some of my home brew spring kits....will fix you right up....

G109

They are brushed motors....just try to wear one out.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:54 PM
Joined Dec 2004
469 Posts
I PM you before with that information and never received anything.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:56 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
Really? I won't cop to compter problems, but I did crash for almost a month...sorry...

G109
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:12 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
Oh......there is something you must know.........the pinion gears are not easily removed, believe me......so you might consider ordering a 8T pinion too......

G109
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:18 PM
Joined Dec 2004
469 Posts
Quote:
Oh......there is something you must know.........the pinion gears are not easily removed, believe me......so you might consider ordering a 8T pinion too......

G109

Do you mean removing them from the stock tail motors?