Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:06 AM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
House of Balsa scale Bonanza build

Well I got my House of Balsa Bonanza kit the other day.
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/e/env/00...=products:k-13

The plan is to build it as scale as I can. Well stand off scale. I am building this for two reasons. One, my late Grandfather owned two of these great planes. Grandpa passed away this last year at the age of 90, he had a good run, and I thought this would be a good way to keep him flying. So the plan is to build my Bonanza to look just like his. Two, I have always loved the Bonanza V-35 V-tail planes. They are so beautiful and fly so well. I just hope the model flys as well as the real thing.

On to the build. The kit is an old school balsa kit. As some one said on a different thread "it is a box of wood that you whittle a plane out of" Fun fun fun. I am no stranger to this type of kit but have not built on in like 15 years.

I stated with the fuselage. It went together fast but is not complete, as I need to find good retractable gear to fit in to the nose before I finish it all up. So I moved onto the wings last night. They build up well and really were not that hard. The instructions are some what lacking but if you take your time it is easy to figure out.

So the build is going well for now. Knock on Balsa. I need to figure out how I should cover her. Mono coat, paint, or both. Any advice on this would be great. Question, can you apply Mono Coat onto of Mono Coat? For a two tone paint scheme? Or can you paint on Mono Coat?

For power I am going to put in a new outrunner bush-less motor of some sort. And I will be using Li-Poly's. The guy at my LHS has a plan on what will work well. The motor he has in mind is not out yet but should be out by the end of the month. He has never steered me wrong and really knows how to put a good power plant together. So I am going to go with his advice. I will let you all know more as I put it all together.

Well that is all for now, thanks, in advance, for any advice on building my first scale plane.

-Hawknips
hawknips is offline Find More Posts by hawknips
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:08 AM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
First Pictures

Here are the first pictures of the Bonanza
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:59 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
hawknips
When these kits first hit the market a set of retracts was available for them. They were marketed as 1/2A retracts and still may be available although I havn't seen them for quite a while. Back then I built the P-47, the Chipmonk , the Pete n Paul, the Bonanza and I believe a P-39. There was a P-51 and an ME109 as well. They were a lot of fun to build and fly on elevator and ailerons. I wish I had them today.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 13, 2005, 09:10 PM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
Ya I found that Robart Retracts 1/2a say thay will work for this kit. I am going to try them for sure. I hear they work good.

So far, the build is going well, I forgot how much fun building with balsa is. I still think that flying them is more fun but I am having fun building it.

Hawknips
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:08 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
HOB Kits

I`ve built a few for E-Flight. The wings are all "basically the same and perform quite well.

Cheers

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:42 PM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
Well the retracts came into my LHS yesterday. I will be using the Robart 1/2A - 2 lb. Micro Mechanical Retracts.
http://www.robart.com/retracts/12A.aspx
The Robarts page listed these as the retracts for this model, so I bought them. They look like they will fit and should be strong enough to handle good landings. We shall see.

The build is going well. Now that I have the retracts I can finish the wings. That is all for now.

-Hawknips
Old Apr 01, 2005, 03:29 PM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
Quick Update

I just installed the Robart Retracts and I thought I would post some projress pics. I wished I had more time to work on her. The build is coming along just slowly.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:21 AM
Karim:Student/Model Flyer
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Nasr City
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
nice, I like the retracts
Flying Scotsman is offline Find More Posts by Flying Scotsman
Last edited by Flying Scotsman; Apr 02, 2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 06:22 PM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
She is coming along

Well I have had some time to work on the Bonanza this week. Wings are together and the landing gear has been installed. I tacked the cockpit together, and put the tail together. The tail that came with the kit was nothing morn that 1/8 inch thick balsa so I added a second layer of balsa to give it some more meat. This allowed me to cut slits for the hinges. It also let me sand it into the proper shape.

I installed the Robart retracts and they seem to be working well. I also added a servo reducer so they take about 4 seconds to retract. It looks really cool. I will see if I can get a small QuickTime file on here of them working.

The motor you see is a new Himax 2816 Burshless Outrunner motor. I hear it will pull a 2 lbs plane straight up, so it should have enough power I would hope.

Well that is the update and some photos. I hope to work more on her later this week. Thanks for tuning in.

-Hawknips
Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:11 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
I built one a LoooOOong Time ago...

Back in the good-ole' "slimer" days. about 12 years ago, before micro recievers and inexpensive micro servos. Had aileron, throttle, mechanical elevato/rudder/nose wheel and a PAW 09 diesel in it. Flew pretty good too!
I was going to copy the plastic top, so I glassed it to make a mold... and My mold release didn't "release", so I had to make a top out of sheet balsa. The windows were transparent green over aluminum monokote... I had a blast with mine!... Bet you do the same! Good-luck! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Apr 15, 2005, 08:10 PM
USA, GA, Gainesville
Joined Jun 2002
169 Posts
Bob's HOB Bonanza

Nice job-- especially admire the color scheme and trim.

Haven't seen one of those mechanical v-tail mixers in a long time-- my, but we are spoiled by the current crop of intermediate transmitters, right?

Paul aka hobbyshopguy
hobbyshopguy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyshopguy
Old Apr 15, 2005, 09:23 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Thanks Paul...

Yeah... with micro gear like a micro Rx, sub-micro servos & such, it would have weighed probably 3 oz less... but then, I remember winding the rubber band escapement on my high-dollar single channel that cost me almost a year of mowing yards! Yup.. we've come a long way! Bob
Old Apr 15, 2005, 09:30 PM
USA, GA, Gainesville
Joined Jun 2002
169 Posts
Bob's last

We are cluttering up hawknip's thread but whattheheck---
When I say Babcock will you smile?
Paul
hobbyshopguy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyshopguy
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:33 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,833 Posts
My first successful system used the ACE commander single tube receiver with relay, next was a CS501 transistor relayless receiver and Bonner S/N escapment on only two cells for small single channel. Finally there was an ACE Pulse Commander with Adams "baby", "baby twin" and Standard magnetic actuators. I used that one in an 18" w/s Comet J-3 Cub with Cox .010, prop on backwards and other small IC conversions.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:36 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Actually ........

Mine was an Astro Pee-Wee ordered from AHC (America's Hobby Center) it was all wired-up & ready to go! And I ordered an Amtron escapement to go with it.(because it was 4 dollars cheaper than a Bonner) My Dad chipped in the last 5 bucks & shipping (which I think was 75 cents.) And the plane was a Scientific single-channel Shoestring racer. I have the plans for that one... would make a good electric. Now... all us old "fuddy-duddy's" Need to quit muddying-up the poor guys post with all this "nostalgia" (but it's been a fond trip down "memory-Lane" )
Bob