HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:59 PM
Longview, Tx
Joined Oct 2001
20 Posts
what weight to thrust ratio for rog?

I was just wondering what thrust I would need to get an airplane off the ground. My friend wants to put a camera in a plane for a project. Thanks,
Brandon
varnellb is offline Find More Posts by varnellb
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2002, 09:27 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Sorry,
No simple answer to this one. Depends on type of plane, airfoil etc...

However, I have seen a Pico Cub carry a throw away camera and micro servo to trip the shutter, velcroed to the fus side. Plane flew about the same with the extra weight as without and its not that big a plane.

works best to have camera pointing towards the wingtip. That way you point the wing at what you want to take. Works much better than pointing forward. Owner was pretty good at taking picture of what he wanted to see.

Of course you get one picture per flight.

It had a S400 with a 2.3:1 gearbox powering it.

Hope this helps
Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Mar 25, 2002, 09:52 PM
Longview, Tx
Joined Oct 2001
20 Posts
thanks,
My friend found a good deal on a home security camera or something and we gutted it out. part of the transmitter is a little heavy, but not exactly sure how much weight it will add. Hopefully it will work out.
varnellb is offline Find More Posts by varnellb
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:03 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
No easy answer. What type of ground- smooth concrete or 4" grass. What type and size of wheels, how easy do they roll. How big is the airplane?

In some cases the thrust won't really matter, I have a couple of taildraggers that will simply pull themselves noseover when wheels get stuck in the grass.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:03 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,376 Posts
Depends on the length of the runway.
One of the reasons for flying boats was the runway length was unlimited, so the power installed could be sized to the cruise requirement, not the takeoff situation.
As chase for the S3A we used a Grumman TF9F-6 Cougar .. A fighter plane.. which was runway length limited at Palmdale in the summer time. 12,000 feet was too short!
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:13 AM
Dallas,TX, USA
Joined Mar 1999
834 Posts
I would use a weight to thrust ratio of 3 as a minimum.
This will take a long runway; try hand launching the plane with a helper that can run at 10 to 15 mph!
Dick Huang
Dick Huang is offline Find More Posts by Dick Huang