SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2002, 09:05 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
5 Posts
Looking for 280 or 400 WW1 Balsa kits

I have searched for scale or semi-scale WW1 fighters with no luck. Does any one know where to find some speed 280 to speed 400 balsa kit bi-planes? I have found some great plans but would like to do a kit. Thanks Tom
TheRings is offline Find More Posts by TheRings
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:03 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
Do a search under the user name PETERRAKE he has some kits.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:52 AM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Tom,
First, let me welcome you to the Ezone! I have found the Ezone to be the most fabulous resource imaginable for electric flight and the folks here are the nicest you can find, anywhere.

I am introducing a line of kits of WW1 and Golden Age models. Our first intrduction is a short kit of the Peter Rake's Bristol Scout. This is the plane that British Victoria Cross winner, Lanoe Hawker used in WW1. It is Speed 400 powered. Pete has posted the prototype pics here in Scale Modeling. The kits that I will produce will all be semi scale in that they will be modified from scale so that they will fly well but look nice in flight. For more detailed info:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~bengco/pages/news.htm
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Mar 26, 2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 02:12 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Tom

Other than the aforementioned Bristol Scout, (which looks really sweet) there is the Dare line of kits. Also Turnkey R/C has a semi kit of a DH-2 available in that size range.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Mar 26, 2002, 02:17 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Dec 1999
476 Posts
Try Pat Tritle

The Dare models mentioned are actually Pat Tritle designs.

Try a search under his name and you'll get an eyeful of some great planes. I have his Sopwith Triplane kit on deck.
tiggs is offline Find More Posts by tiggs
Old Mar 27, 2002, 10:40 PM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
17 Posts
Considered Free Flight Designs???

I dont want to suggest more work for you than you want or need, but....If your not adverse to scratchbuilding, theres a wealth of FREE plans on the net of free flight designs that have already been designed with light weight in mind. One great source is simply known as "The Plan Page" by a Mr. Gunther i believe. Another great source is the web site of Dave Liveley. Go to your search engine and type in Free flight airplane plans and behold!!!!! Of course you'll need access to a copier to enlarge to your given design parameters, but your local library should handle that without any prob.
Sincerely
Mike
Indian Valley is offline Find More Posts by Indian Valley
Old Mar 28, 2002, 12:05 AM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
My site used to have free plans but I removed them due to copyright concerns. Someone felt that some of the plans may have been coprighted and contacted me. No copyright holder contaced me, but I removed all of them in an abundance of caution.
Last edited by Bengtson; Sep 21, 2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 07:45 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
5 Posts
WOW! Thanks for all the help.

Paul I did a search for Peter Rake but fell short.

Kirt, the bristol look great infact it is just the kind of thing I am looking for. I did see your posted plans but did not check them all out. What other kits are you planing on puting together?

Sam, Turnkey R/C had some nice kits, thanks.

Ted, Pat's planes look great, did you see the Folker Tri-plane, very nice. I have written Pat for some additionl information

Mike, thanks for the great sources almost to many to check out. I have two scratch built, one is my own design, I have a friend fellow flyer, and we are looking to do some lite combat he has no time to scratch build and won't fly anything I build in combat so that is the reason for looking at Kits. I do have a great set of Sopwith Pup plans at maryjo3.freeyellow.com/ that I scaled up to better handle a speed 400. So many great planes and plans so little time. I may do the scratch Pup and talk my friend in to the bristol they will be nearly the same in size and power.

Thanks again Tom
TheRings is offline Find More Posts by TheRings
Old Mar 28, 2002, 12:06 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Tom,
Peter Rake and I are working on a Nieuport 11 for S600 power. I am working on a 36" s300 Pfalz E1 monoplane with rudder elevator/ailerons. I hope to offer a S400 Albatros DIII or DII and Pete also wants to do a S400 Sopwith Camel, SE5, DH4
Old Mar 29, 2002, 12:22 PM
DAve caNDI,& 5#'s of fury
Oscoda, MI :)
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Does anyone have a link to Dare models ?
Thanks
Dave
Dandi6065 is offline Find More Posts by Dandi6065
Old Mar 29, 2002, 12:45 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
The last time I looked at a site for them, the site was closed. I haven't been able to find them again. However, Pat Tritle is their chief designer and his site is working. http://www.thuntek.net/pcmodels/ You can purchase Dare kits there. Pat can also help you with tech support on the kits he designed. Nice guy too.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:30 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,768 Posts
Dare's home page is...

http://www.darehobby.com/

Pat's is...

http://www.thuntek.net/pcmodels/kits.html

Kurt; I'm building your N-11, having a lot of fun. I'm hoping to use an Astroflight 15 Geared I have lying around. Specs say 250W with an 11x7 on 12 cells, or 300W with a 12x8 prop, so I'm hoping...

...a couple of questions; you have so many neat plans on your website, can you update me on when some of them will be kits? I'm really enticed by your mention of the Albatros's.

Also, your planes all have good decal sets. Mind sharing your source? Thanks. I have abeautiful Dare Sopwith Triplane which looks naked without roundels...

Do an Albatros like this!
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:04 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Robert,

My decals are either Inkjet decal or a plastic adhesive backed material that is inkjet printed w the images. I generate them in AutoCad and Photoshop.

My 36" ALbatros DIII R/E/A is in prototype stage now. I have a 36" Hanriot HD-1 R/E/A ready to cover. There is also a 36" Halberstadt DII R/E/A in prototype stage. My 36" Fokker DVII is in protoype and an early version was just posted by Sam Leonard here as well. It is R/E but the new design is R/E/A. Last week, my 36" Rex Scout R/E/A was featured in Larry Nagel's excellent built here. I should also mention that I have Peter Rake's 36" N28 R/E (need a builder), Avro 504 night fighter R/E (Boomer) and 50" Camel R/E/A (by Erinair) in proto stage as well. I am currently working on a plan for a 41" Pfalz DIII also R/E/A. It features a balsa planked or sheeted fuse. I hope to to a similar Albatros DVa this fall. Look for a Siemen's Shuckert DI, Rumpler CI, Albatros DII, and more in the coming months. They will all be released in plan form but the laser cut parts will be available from StevensAero.

Kurt
Last edited by Bengtson; Sep 21, 2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 01:02 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bengtson
If you do want free plans, my site has over 80 of them free for downloading. They are zipped Acrobat reader format.

Kurt

Do you have a link to where these would be on your site.

Thanks
Colin
Gonzo007 is online now Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Sep 21, 2003, 01:24 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Colin,
I got a complaint from a non involved party suggesting that a few of the plans may have been copyrighted, so took them all off. I don't want a Napster type problem...

Kurt