HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2002, 07:13 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
Don't read this if you hate Tiger Moths

This was the calmest evening since finishing my moth. Almost completely calm, but 30 degrees and 5 inches new snow last night. I look around and find several bare spots long enough for a runway(about 12 feet) and hook up the battery. Flight check, take-off roll, we're up in 8 feet. No control inputs but reduced throttle. I'm using 7x300 Nimh from Radical RC and it works great. Only 3rd flight, about 10 minutes each, but at lower throttle settings and higher temperatures, we could maybe get several minutes more.

This plane practicly flies itself, just turn it occasionally . Landings are very nice and slow for newbies to landing gear; that would be me. Touch and goes are much fun ! Watch out for prop strikes on rough ground.

GWS: you got it right ! The kit quality is excellent. The design is excellent. It is an attractive looking plane. It flies very well. If someone would improve the instructions a bit, almost anyone could successfuly build and fly this plane. The GWS Flight Pack is also excellent. NO glitches with the rp 4 receiver. I have many planes, but none are a better value.

Best Regards

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2002, 07:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Al, congratulations!
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 25, 2002, 07:26 PM
N.B. Canada
Joined Nov 2001
102 Posts
It IS a beautiful flyer.
I've fould (probably other have as well) that when landing add a quick shot of throttle when flaring out allows me to grease in the landings (most times anyway), avoiding the "plop and squash" that happens with these lightweight landing gear wires.
You'll find the TM to be so easy and fun to fly you might put off other projects, until the next GWS winner comes out that is.
Tonyl is offline Find More Posts by Tonyl
Old Mar 25, 2002, 07:34 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I just built my third Tiger Moth. I did this one to look like a PT-17. I love the way this little plane flies. Who knows, I'll probably build a fourth one someday.

steve
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old Mar 25, 2002, 07:53 PM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
Thanks to everyone who helped with building and flying questions . Really glad I finally got this kit out of the basement !

Thanks Basketcase. Your website was a big help !

Tonyl: thanks for mentioning the added throttle just before touchdown.... it really improves results !

sgil2001: Nice looking PT-17 !
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:08 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2002
216 Posts
I had my first TM flights yesterday and today, and the little plane IS amazing. It climbs surprisingly well, and it just seems impossible to get into trouble, as long as you have some altitude. Stalls are so gentle that it really does almost fly itself. The wings seem to bow a lot during loops, but there are lots of options to fix that. I will pick one.

You can count me as another delighted Tiger Moth pilot.

Bill
Billmagann is offline Find More Posts by Billmagann
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:08 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2002
43 Posts
Outstanding Al !

I'm beginning to think that the GWS Tiger Moth is beginning to reach legendary status. So many threads....so many good comments.

But whether you hate it or love it, all I can say is that the TM is bl**dy good for electric r/c flight and those interested in taking up the hobby.

Gotta go know.....battery just peaked and the wind is non-existent....time to raise the hangar doors on my Roid-moth. (TM+M100).....
Ratbait is offline Find More Posts by Ratbait
Old Mar 26, 2002, 03:10 AM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
Hey Bill: Glad to hear your success also !

Ohhhh, TM + M100.... a Moth that hovers

I totally agree: this plane is great for the electric/rc hobby, new folks and veterans alike

I'm looking forward to more planes from GWS.

Best Regards

Al
Old Mar 26, 2002, 04:54 AM
FL
Joined May 2001
60 Posts
All these people with 3 or 4 tigermoths! I only have one! I think it's great too, but am I missing something? Why would I need more than one?
Wade is offline Find More Posts by Wade
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:49 AM
Gaston, Indiana 4019'16.55"N 8528'32.95"W
Joined Dec 2001
49 Posts
I Love My Moth !!

I think the GWS Tigermoth is probably one of the most commercially successful ARF plane kit ever offered to the R/C enthusiast. GWS has hit a home run with this one. Yes, it does have a few problems that could be better for the builder that is unaware of all the mod's spoken of here on the E-Zone, but all in all it has a high degree of success even if built as per the manual. My hat is off to Mr. Lin (GWS4CEO) and his fine company for bringing so much enjoyment to all of us !

Please Mr. Lin, give us more biplanes!
Big-Jim is offline Find More Posts by Big-Jim