HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:00 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Feb 2005
320 Posts
How to make money from aerial photography.

Hello,
I have heard people talking about making money from aerial photography, but Im not sure exactly how to go about doing that?

Do you have to find someone who wants aerial photo's or what?
and how do you do that?

Please tell me everything you can.

Thanks!!
experimental_pil is offline Find More Posts by experimental_pil
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:45 PM
Suspended Account
Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
1,071 Posts
Ok, this is a little tounge-in-cheek but, there's this 19 year old kid I've seen sitting by a busy street corner in Denver with a cardboard sign looking for handouts. One of a number around town. Turns out he talked to my son who works at a nearby convenience store. The kid says he makes $100-$120 per 3-hour day. Some donors are regulars. He's telling my son he should get into it. So, take your plane, write your message on the bottom and hold it up to traffic. Common phrases are "lost job, lost home, many kids to feed, Bless you, etc"
skymind is offline Find More Posts by skymind
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:54 PM
DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!
Washington DC
Joined Sep 2004
523 Posts
hahahah will fly for food.
NCQ3 is offline Find More Posts by NCQ3
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I've made up some signs with a photo or two on them and posted them at gas stations and on the bulletin board at work. Also, I've called a couple of lawyers about doing possible photos of intersections or crime scenes and those have been promising. You would be surprised at what lawyer will pay a private pilot for photos of accident sites. I've also got my phone number on file with insurance agents in case of tornadoes and such. Just make a few calls and if you know any farmers they tend to like AP for land management and additions to buildings and such. Get the word out and have examples to back it up.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:59 PM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Some of my success has come from just getting some pics of a building or property and finding an email address to send the owners a teaser. If they are interested then they will want to meet with you. Then you show up with a variety of shots for them to choose from.

If you are going to fly from their property or any other private property make sure you do it safely and make sure you get permission!! If you can get the shots flying from public property thats even better. Either way be safe, if you can't safely fly from an area don't do the shoot, period.

Good luck,
Matt
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Now that I'm getting to the point that I can do some decent editting I'm going to get out to get some sample photos to put onto cd. Then I'll copy a few and send them to real estate agents to show what my plane can do in order to generate a little more interest. There's a fellow near here that does weddings on his farm. It's all fixed up really nice and quaint and he wants a sort of video tour of his surroundings. I plan on doing like a three or four minute flight with some music added in. With my Nikon 3700 the video is allready pc friendly and I don't have any complicated video capture issues to deal with. Once you do a few jobs you will be surprised at how quickly word can get out. I might even go so far as to have some business cards printed up to leave on bulletin boards.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:20 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
6,009 Posts
Good to see you made it over Randall
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Oops.........posted my answer to you by starting a new thread....arrrrg....I need to pay more attention to the buttons, hahahahaha
Old Mar 13, 2005, 05:15 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,480 Posts
Saw a guy with a sign once stating "Why lie, I need a Beer". I gave him a buck for his honesty. I have also heard stories of just regular folks doing this and making more than they could at a real job.

Rgds,

Mike
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:52 AM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
I'm not sure there is a market for RCAP, but I'm sure there is a market for a "Fly For Fun and Profit" RCAP method .
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:36 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Feb 2005
320 Posts
Ok thanks. Well I have a lot to learn first.
Where could I get all the infomation I need to get started other than this forum?
Im going to be building a SPAD UAV specially for AP.

Any tips?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:23 AM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Feb 2005
320 Posts
Anyone?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:59 AM
Suspended Account
Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
1,071 Posts
I've seen multiple threads on this forum pertaining to this topic. If you need an all inclusive, step-by-step, source of info on this topic in one easy to handle form, you're probably not gonna be successful. Get creative, get going. Make your own road.
skymind is offline Find More Posts by skymind
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
It's like any other recreational thing that one can make money off of. First do a LOT of practice, have fun at it and sharpen your skills. When you get to the point that you're impressed with your own photos, go onto the next level and ask coworkers and friends if anyone would be interested in AP. Sometimes hunters would like photos of deer trails and such but you also have to be aware of any laws pertaining to aerial spotting. Here in Missouri you can't fly a photo or spotter plane over a known hunting area during deer season. Word of mouth is a very good way to gain a few bucks with AP. Word of mouth is actually better than actually advertising in some ways. I fix cars for friends and family all the time but it's all from word of mouth for a little extra cash. If I put out advertisements and made it a true business I'd have all sorts of licenses and taxes I'd have to pay.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:07 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Feb 2005
320 Posts
How do you charge for photos?