HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2005, 07:58 PM
United States, AR, El Dorado
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
2M pattern

I have been looking at building either a Colombo Anderson Eclipse or Ultra RC Icepoint. Flying at the lower levels, would I really see a difference between these two models? The price on the Icepoint is tough to beat. I would also be practicing sportsman IMAC sequences with this model.

I have two Thunder Power 5s3p gen II lite packs on the way. I am torn between using a C50 or a outrunner. Does anyone have experience with the large outrunners flying pattern?

thanks for any help,
Jason
JasonG is offline Find More Posts by JasonG
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:17 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Have you taken a look at the SA Excelleron 90?

It's not quite 2M, but large for a .90 sized ship. Several are campaigning this year with it from Sportsman to Advanced class. Most are putting 2 stroke 1.20's in it. I bought one a few months ago around Xmas for $199 on sale. It's in my building queue, but it's going to be wet powered, as I can't appropriate the funding right now for e-power for it, or I would in an instant. What a terrific bargain for that price. It usually goes for $239, a bargain still. How can you go wrong?

It's very well built, straight, and all the pattern guys over at RCU just love how well it flies out of the box.

No one's done an electric conversion of it yet, AFAIK. You could be the first. I think it would be great with the C50. It builds out to around 8.5 lb. with glow power. If you need component weights, I have my Excelleron kit sitting on the floor by the couch.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Mar 12, 2005, 01:51 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Jason
I guess you'll have a flight report on the IcePoint soon from Scott. I have a feeling that it will be fine. If you don't plan to go beyond Intermediate in Pattern, I doubt if it will matter. You won't do any spins or snaps. As long as it flies straight and level, it will be fun.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:25 AM
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Jason,

I am flying the Electric Eclipse in Master's pattern. We are using the Hacker C5014XL motor, Hacker Acro 90 ESC and the TP6000 10s3p Gen II Lite batteries. I was able to build the Eclipse at only 10#-8oz starting from the $499 basic kit. I don't think you can find a better precision pattern plane for the money. I have not flown an Icepoint. One thing to remember about the Icepoint and most ARF's is that they tend to be heavier than a composite FG fuselage. Also the Icepoint has a one piece wing. Not as much adjustability for set-up. In my case, I would have a tough time fitting the wing in my car.

So if you have good building skills and want to get good precision, my vote is for the Eclipse modified for eclectric.

If you don't have the building skills, I believe you can modify the Icepoint fairly easily. I suspect the plane will be great thru Intermediate pattern. I'd like to get a report from someone about Master's and FAI for that skill level with the Icepoint.

By the way, I am thinking on getting the Quique 72" YAK 54 for the electric set-up. I understand it flies a decent pattern and is also good at 3D.

Good Luck,

Steve
swk550 is online now Find More Posts by swk550
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:08 AM
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys. I actually have an Excelleron 90 with an OS 108, but it is really lacking in upline combinations with the 108. You can forget snaps on uplines with that engine. I have been extremely pleased with the performance of the model though. Its just getting a little expensive feeding fuel to the 108. I already had the two 5s3p TP's and would really like to put them to use. I assumed they would a little big for the Excelleron?

SWK550,
You wouldnt happen to have any pictures of your motor and battery install in the Eclipse would you? I am an OK builder. I've built the kit version of the Colombo 27% Extra 300L. Thats what I had the 10s3p setup in. Is the Eclipse kit similar to the Extra in that it does not include hardware, but the wings, stab, and fin are presheeted? I am really leaning towards this model.

Thanks so much,
Jason
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:25 AM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Jason, what happened to your 27% Extra 300L? How did the build go and what was the RTF weight? Did you fly IMAC with it?

Thanks,
Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:48 AM
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
Norm,
Yea, the Extra turned out wonderful. The final weight on it was just a hair over 13 pounds if i remember correctly. It was really a great kit and went together with no problems at all. I only made it to one IMAC meet last year as it was the end of the season when I completed it. The BME Power challege in Waco, TX was my first IMAC to enter and I placed 2nd out of 15. I still have it, but I puffed a cell last november and i'm just now getting around to replacing the battery. Gene at TP really gave me a good deal and is going to replace both of my old yellow stripe 5s3p's with Gen II Lites for a what I thought was a great price. Here's a couple of pictures of my Extra.

thanks,
Jason
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Very nice Jason. Looks like a CF landing gear. Did you do anything else to help lighten it from stock configuration? I've been practicing IMAC Sportsman using a new 10s2p ProLite pack. Better power to weight than my older 10s3p GenII, and I fly the two sequences in about 6 minutes. Each flight usually last about 8 minutes althogether and uses about 2200 mah from the 4000 mah pack. This pack is over a pound lighter than the 3p GenII pack.

I've been trying to make a decision about a second IMAC plane, and I'm really leaning toward the CA 27% Extra. Did you build the kit or the ARC?

Thanks for your info,
Norm
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:24 PM
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
Norm,
That is awesome that your able to use the 2p configuration and only pulling 2200 out of it in 8 minutes is great. I remember back when 4p was required for this kind of performance.

I think you would be happy with the CA Extra. I was really pleased with it. I did build the kit. It goes together like a puzzle. I think I have some pics of the build somewhere. I'll try to dig em up and post a couple. I did use the Graphtech carbon gear. I beleive it weighs 6 oz compared to the stock 12 oz. Really it is necessary to use the carbon due to the very short stock gear. A 22" prop will not clear with the stock gear. The only other modification that I made was to use one 5945 on the elevator. I had to move it up in front of the rudder servo and use a Y pushrod to connect to each elevator half. With two standard size servos in the tail I was quite tail heavy even with both batteries pushed up under the motor box. With the small control thows I'm using, I feel the 5945 is plenty of power. I think I am using about 7 degrees of elevator travel on low rates and 12 degrees on high. You could probably shave off a few ounces by going to a carbon wing tube, but beleive me it flies great at 13 pounds. It lands like a trainer and is almost too light to get a good clean stall for a spin entry. Let me know if I can provide any more information.

thanks,
Jason
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Jason,

I have two threads in RC Universe under pattern flying. One is Eclipse building tips. The other is Eclipse conversion to electric. Take a look at them. If you have any questions or comments, maybe we could start a thread on this forum for an Electric Eclipse. I have numerous photographs of my electric Eclipse projects.

Steve
Old Mar 12, 2005, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Thanks Jason, I think I'll go with this. Now I need to decide whether to get the kit or the ARC, and from which dealer. Which dealer did you use? The price seems fixed, though the shipping might vary some.

Oh yeah, I'm a bit worried about whether I can get it to balance with the 2p pack. It only weighs about 28 oz. I had to move my Rx pack right up to behind the spinner to get my 27% Staudacher to balance with it.

Norm
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:03 AM
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
I ordered mine through Aeroworks and was very pleased with the service. I dont recall the shipping price, but it was reasonable. When I decide to order the Eclipse, i'm sure i'll order it from Aeroworks.

You may very well have trouble balancing with the 2p packs. I had my 3p's pushed all the way forward with the front edge of the packs even with the firewall and I had a 1200 mah 4 cell rx pack on the side of the motor box. You could move both the rudder and elevator servos up in front of the wing tube possibly if there is room. There isnt much extra wood in the tail end of the fuselage to remove. I used a graphtec tail wheel assembly that was pretty lightweight. I used the very heavy Dubro control horns. You could definately save some weight there.

Jason
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:37 AM
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
Guys,
I was just looking at the neumotors and found the 1515/2y model. This looks to be a good alternative to the c50xl. Does anyone have any experience with these motors yet? It looks to be a little less expensive than the C50XL, yet just as capable. It also appears to be several ounces lighter, although I dont know if the weight they show includes the gear drive or not.
Heres the link: http://flydma.com/motors/neu1506.asp...tors&path2=neu
Jason
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:47 AM
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Nov 2004
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG
I ordered mine through Aeroworks and was very pleased with the service. I dont recall the shipping price, but it was reasonable. When I decide to order the Eclipse, i'm sure i'll order it from Aeroworks

Jason
When it comes to the Eclipse, I'd order it through Russ at Patternproz. He is a pattern flyer, gives good service, and has intimate knowledge of the Eclipse since has built and flown a few.

http://patternproz.com/
jlachow is offline Find More Posts by jlachow
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:17 AM
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Here is a picture of the Hacker C5014XL motor in the Eclipse.