SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2002, 01:52 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Fokker D-VII Micro Scale

My progress to date on a Fokker D-VII 13-inch span to use the DU RFFS-100 system can be found on my Fokker page http://home.attbi.com/~gordonjohnson/FokkerDVII.htm

I'll post more pictures there as I progress. I have a lot to learn about scale models this small. Inkjet printed tissue adds weight. Scale props are a problem to get the thrust needed. Slightly pointed scale cowls add weight. Fokker D-VII's may be a bad choice as their lower wings had considerably less wing span and chord, meaning less wing area for this tiny model.
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2002, 04:24 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Good work Gordon

Keep it up,
Use a big prop
You efforts will be rewarded with a big high when she crusies about looking like a real Fokker D VII
Graham finally managed to get "our" Vulcan two cell plane up in the roof by using a much bigger prop, big smiles all round!!
Life is great when it all comes together

Mark

bottom wings dont do much .... they just look nice and create drag
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
Old Mar 25, 2002, 04:35 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,792 Posts
Gordon I agree with aeronutz on keep up the good work, and the work is looking very good. But why did you choose to do a HEAVY all sheet version? The classic stick and tissue method would have weighed 1/3 of what you have there.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Mar 25, 2002, 05:18 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Gordon,

it really looks good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Solinski
But why did you choose to do a HEAVY all sheet version? The classic stick and tissue method would have weighed 1/3 of what you have there.
I don't think so. A 1/32in sheet of good, light balsa is hard to beat in weight with a stick-and-tissue design. My MicroBipe (designed by Don Srull) was very light uncovered, but paper and dope can add up easily in weight although I used the lightest tissue available (12-17g/m^2).

But maybe it would be lighter to paint the model with a thin coating of spray paint and only apply the markings from inkjet prints. What about tattoo foil for the markings? That's a clear, flexible, waterproof and very thin self-glueing foil originally intended for removable tattoos. It is printed also with inkjet printers.
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Mar 25, 2002, 05:40 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Tom,
I like to follow in others footsteps if possible. Dave Robelen's Pixel (now available online for April if you subscribe to RC Microflight) weighs ~26g and uses an M20 motor. So, I thought to start there. Also, having built the 17-inch Punkin, I can tell you things start getting pretty tiny. Allan Wright is building the companion SE5a and was first going to do it using the stick & covering like the Punkin. Dave advised against it for size reasons. I pretty much listen to Dave, who is a master light weight builder. Plus, if you use very light balsa, you can get it pretty light. The fuselage as it stands is 3.2g. Without the thicker "scale" nose block and the tissue covering it weighed ~2.4g -- pretty light. The wings weighed 1.8g before covering and 2.2 after. I still need to perfect my covering technique so it doesn't add as much weight.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 05:44 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Jochen,
My first plan was to do a D-VII that was red for the forward half and white for the aft half -- flown by Goebbels, I think. My thinking was I could use just a dusting of paint and then tissue the insignias on. Then I remembered the Fiddler's Green print and fold up paper airplanes and got one and started making graphic files for this sized plane. I suspect I'll end up making the D-VII again and try the paint/tissue method to see if I can keep the weight down. It's a learning excercise at this point since there are construction things I would do differently next time. I also have motor/gearing/prop issues to sort out.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 06:54 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,409 Posts
Gordon

Don Srull made some "paper" airplanes by blowing the Fiddler Green planes up to 20-30 inch spans and using the paper with 1/16 or 1/8 or other appropriate sizes of balsa to out line the wings, make a 3 d fuse, etc. They fly very well and very slowly.
His DH6 was really something--I have one of the "kits" which is really printed paper and some day I will "build" it. You might wanna email him and try it.

Pat
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Mar 28, 2002, 10:53 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,409 Posts
Gordon here is a picture of Don Srull's paper DH6

http://www.his.com/~tschmitt/025MICRORC3/DONSDH4.html
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Mar 28, 2002, 02:13 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Thanks Pat,

I've got their CD coming which has every plane they've ever done. It's a nice resource. The 3-views supplied by Fiddler's Green with the D-VII were identical to some that Allan Wright sent me from a book he has. I could probably scratch build from this disk for a year and still have models I want to build.
Old Apr 06, 2002, 09:17 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Here's the progress so far. Time to start installing actuators.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 09:46 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Alex,

Since you asked about D-VII's I resurected this thread. I've been meaning to do it anyway. Just make a D-VII. You don't have to wait for Chris. Although Chris's designs are so well done, waiting is not a bad idea.

I'm finishing up my 13-inch D-VII right now. You can see some old details on my Foker D-VII Page. I'll put updated details when I can get my camera to work with my new computer.

Since I started the plane, LiPolys have become available and I've started playing around with BitCharger motors. Because the D-VII has short lower wings with less chord, wing area is a problem. For a M-20 application it should be larger to get the wing area up. Nevertheless, I have a BitCharger 3.0, geared 5:1 BB, with a U80 prop that weighs 2.5g with wires and generates 13g static thrust. I'm working on scale-like struts right now. What a pain! I'm shooting for an AUW with a LiPoly and RFFS-100 of hopefully no more than 23g.

Gordon
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:43 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Thanks Gordon!!! Yeah, that's a nice one!! Hm, but you don't have plans yet, eh??? Nice nice nice! Thank you anyway!!!
Alex
alex_parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by alex_parkflyer
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:54 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Alex,
I have the Herr Fokker D-VII kit. So, I just reduced those plans at the copy shop. But, I also used the three views that come with the $3 download of the D-VII from fiddlersgreen.net. It's not that hard. take the PDF file of the 3-views and use the copy tool to copy, say, the fuselage profile to the clipboard, then paste into paint or other graphics package and then resize to your desired span. Then, print out and start cutting balsa sheet. Adjustments to make it fly, but somewhat less scale may need to be made.

Of course, I don't know if it will fly yet.

Gordon
Old Sep 11, 2002, 01:58 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Hm, I hope yours will fly! Good luck!
Alex
alex_parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by alex_parkflyer
Old Sep 14, 2002, 10:36 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
448 Posts
cant load your page

Gordon

tried serveral time to load the link you have listed but keep getting a blank page.
kd4gfy is online now Find More Posts by kd4gfy