HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2004
281 Posts
Nike2 Setup

could some of you hotline experts tell me what would be the fastest and safe(wont pull off or fold the wings) motor setup for the nike2 with no modifications to the plane.(OUT THE BOX STOCK)you know motor,speed controller,battery,prop with good flight time.I have a 40 amp speed controller I would like to use but if not no big deal.
strong is offline Find More Posts by strong
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
Youre not gonna want to fly it stock...the front mounting bolt holes are too weak...you'll fold the wings most likely...especially pulling out of a high speed dive from altitude. Peel back the covering on the top and bottom of the wing and glass it with 3/4oz cloth. After the mod I was able to use Hacker B50 6s w/6.7, Aeronaut 17x11 or 16x13, Phoenix 80, 12s2p GP1100 or 10 cell GP3300 with no problems. GP1100 setup yielded around 6500fpm, 3300's around 6000fpm. Obviously flight time was shorter with the 1100's but I was going for max climb speed.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Mar 11, 2005, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2004
281 Posts
Just hate to ruin a good covering job trying to glass the wing.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 02:06 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
Actually its not that bad, can barely tell...just sand the glass well and remove the covering carefully (its a PITA to get off cuz they do such a great job)...besides, performance outweighs looks any day of the week in my book.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Mar 11, 2005, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2004
281 Posts
I really like what I,ve been reading about the nike2 and think I might try one but I hate to have to do that kind of mod.I'm not that good at that stuff,but I see on the nesail website that the kits been improved and you can really wring it out with there recommended motor setup.Would something like the aveox 2726/1.5 with promax 4.3-1 gear drive do this plane justice and keep it in one piece or would it just look slow.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Well, having recently seen what the front wing bolt holes are constructed of (via removal of same), you'll definitely want to mod it. It's just balsa, a short brass tube for the nylon bolt, a bit of glue, and a cap plate of very thin ply for the bolt to compress on. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:10 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
Here is a setup that will work with what you have proposed.

AXI 2826/10
tp 3s2p 4200
14x9.5 prop
Your 40 amp controller.

You will still go vertical, you will have an easy time of landing. But as far as the mod goes its a piece of cake, and you have to epoxy the plywood plates into the frame anyway. I should add that I was using metal bolts instead of the plastic bolts that come with the kit, That could have had something to do with it...

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Last edited by soholingo; Mar 11, 2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:12 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
NESAIL's info on this is over a year old !!! No new stuff has been done to the airframe. You will want the mods, as this is a very weak point. Just ask Soholingo!!

Doug
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2004
281 Posts
really like the nike but because of the mod I think I might start looking at the micro flash.It cost a little more but no mods need.Can someone give me a lite power system that will go vertical with ok run time for this one.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:18 PM
Stuart, Florida
Joined Dec 2004
293 Posts
Strong,
The wing mod is REALLY no big deal. It takes no more than 15 or 20 min per side (plus drying time for the epoxy). You are starting with fresh wood and covering, not the ragged edges you typically have to work/deal with after a crash. FWIW I covered the wetted out fg cloth with some wax paper which I smoothed out with a paper towel to give it a realitively even and smooth finish. When it dried, I peeled the wax paper off and gave it a little light sanding (with 220) and reapplied the covering. I'm sure there are other ways, but I know this one works fine. Again, no big deal.
Steve
FlaFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FlaFlyer
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2004
281 Posts
Man,
Really the more I read,the more confuse I get on which plane to get first and then what motor and battery.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:48 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
Strong,

You are just going to have to bite the bullet and go with a tried and true setup. The first question you should answer is what is your budget? Once you know that then the motor/batts/etc will take care of themselves. The good thing is that if you go with a brushless motor you buy something quality and you can probably get >75% of your money back. Consider the batts a wash.

So what's your budget?
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:22 AM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
I don't have a Nike 2, but I've done exactly what Drksdeotm recommends on my Hoot, Bandit, Filip and I think I have stronger wings on all these models.
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Strong,
All of the above comments about reinforcement is valid for most of the artf e-gliders(warm/hotliners), especially those built up or foam veneered wings. For some wings I use high density fibre tape running along the underside of spar position (usually the thickest part of the wing).The appearance won't be deterioated much trust me. Safe is top priority.
Also lightly geared planes is usually better in handling.

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Mar 13, 2005, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2004
281 Posts
Well my budget could handle the setup that soho recommended.It's just the mods and screwing up a nice covering job that worry me.Is there any pictures or post of how this is done.Also how fast are climbs,how fast are dives and how will it hang in thermals on this setup.