HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:42 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
How much prep before winding GB 25mm 12 pole Stator?

I have some of the "insulated" GB 25mm 12 pole stators that I am using to make an LRK per Landru's thread. The insulation appears to be a thin grey paint-like coating only and the corners of the poles are not very rounded (if at all). Initially, I added 1 wrap of 7 mil cloth tape around each pole, but then I was unable to get 13 turns of 24 ga wire to fit. I tried some "practice" winding on a spare stator, without the tape, and while its extremely tight, I was able to barely get the last turn in place. Tests with an Ohm meter didn't show any shorts. Am I OK w/o the tape or is the enamel likely to wear through in use (vibration or what ever)?
OmegaDot is offline Find More Posts by OmegaDot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2005, 09:38 PM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
The windings don't really wear. They just get screwed up while you are making nice, neat, tight winds to pack that last bit of copper in. If there are no shorts... they shouldn't develop.

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:11 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
it really pays to get the best wire some are tripple coated.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:09 AM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Well, I tried to wind on a second stator without any tape. The turns fit, but I nicked the enamel everytime (shorts to the stator). So I have spent hours with a needle file putting a radius on 48 edges (4 per pole). My fingers are too sore to wind it now. Maybe later.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:15 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
been there done that and even coated the radius with epoxy,but found theres always somewhere i missed, main problem was crap wire coating to thin and soft the good stuff is really tough and you can tell the difference when you try to scrape the coating of ,if it comes of easy it isnt no good. try and get some good wire from a pro motor winder they only buy the best.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:27 AM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
OmegaDot,

Diamond coated burrs spun by a Dremel or Dremel clone reduce that filing time to a minimum. Some the best tool money I've ever spent went to these....you'll never regret it once you find how much time one of these setups saves you!

Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:52 AM
Designer of Flying Things
Overland Park,Kansas
Joined Apr 2004
480 Posts
We used to use "Tool Dip" to waterproof race boat speed controls back in the day. We thinned it to get it to flow all over between the wires to seal out the water. I can't remember what we thinned it with, but it gave a nice thin rubbery coating. I have been thinking about using it, or some kind of thickener for paint to dip the stators in. I think you could mix balsa dust, micro balloons, or something and paint to get the perfect insulator. I have used K & B epoxy paint with great results, but it is a pain to mix, and a mess to clean up.

That stator grinding is very time consuming. There has got to be a quicker way.

Rich

(edit)
One other thing that works ok, is to build up the top and bottom of the stator with cheapo fingernail polish, till you have a dome shape build up, then paint the whole thing a few times with enamel. Still a pain in the stator!
-=SLaPPiE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=SLaPPiE=-
Last edited by -=SLaPPiE=-; Mar 12, 2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:10 AM
Burlington Intl, Vermont, United States
Joined Apr 2004
43 Posts
I have tryed several methods to wind 12 pole Stators . The best method I found for a 5mm thick stator pack was prototype edgegards from Strong Motors. They may work with thicker stators also but I only got 1 set so I didn't try on a thicker stator. I don't know if Don from Strong Motors is willing to make more to sell but the work great and make it real easy to wind a 12 pole stator. If there is a demand for the I'm sure he will start makeing them avalible. Another method I used on a 12mm thick stack was to coat the stator with thin Ca. Let it dry and then bevel the egdes with a Dremel.The Ca holds the stators together wile gringing with the Dremel tool. Then recoat the stator with medium ca. After coating the stator with Ca and beveling the edges I could pull on the wire as hard as I wanted and the wire coils would not short out. Winding a 12 pole stator is a pain, but getting a motor to turn a larger prop with less amps and heat seams to make it worth the trouble.
Dave
Dave T is offline Find More Posts by Dave T
Last edited by Dave T; Mar 12, 2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 05:37 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Thanks for the continued ideas. The numbness is gone now (slight exageration for dramatic effect), so I'll be be brushing on some Z-Poxy finishing resin and then giving it another go. If I was to do it again, I think I might get the uninsulated stators and then use my Ram EDM to radius the corners. It would be a pretty easy electrode to mfg.

Olmod, my wire did come from a motor shop, but perhaps there's tougher types.

ScienceGuy, What shape of burr are you using? A cone? I couldn't find one small enough to get in the corners. I did try a stone but thought I was "hacking" the job.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
been there done that and even coated the radius with epoxy,but found theres always somewhere i missed, main problem was crap wire coating to thin and soft the good stuff is really tough and you can tell the difference when you try to scrape the coating of ,if it comes of easy it isnt no good. try and get some good wire from a pro motor winder they only buy the best.
Where do yo get the tripple coated wire?
Bill
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:53 AM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
I have a set that was bought many years ago from I believe Wood Worker's Supply. I've used both a small cone and small diameter cylinder. One needs to brace hand, tool and stator firmly so that things (tool and or stator) don't going zinging around the room. The cone shape gets into the corners more effectively than the cylinder. If you've ever cut drywall with a roto-Zip tool this process has a similar feel at first. It take a firm grip and full attention.

Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
Old Mar 14, 2005, 06:17 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
ok bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker
Where do yo get the tripple coated wire?
Bill
here you go
http://www.furukawa.co.jp/makisen/eng/product/texf.htm

http://www.comax.uk.com/productinfo/...ire_triple.htm

http://www.essexgroup.com/Products_S..._Wire/US_b.pdf

cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:23 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
After radius-ing with a needle file, polishing up with abrasive paper, and giving 1 coat of Z-Poxy finishing resin, I did sucessfully wind the stator with the 24 ga wire I had on hand. The motor is running smoothly!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 02:33 PM
Florissant, MO
Joined Mar 2003
357 Posts
For radiusing the stator edges, I use a $9.95 rotary tool set from Harbor Freight. The set includes small diamond burrs which are ideal for the purpose. The rotary tool is not very well made and not very powerful, but, works well for this and other small jobs.
I wrap each stator tooth with magnetic recording tape from old music casettes or video casettes, depending on the best size/fit. I start the wrap by gluing one end to the stator then strech the tape tight as I wrap.
After I wind the stator with the desired wire turns, I check for shorts, then dip the assembly in finishing (read thin) epoxy. The epoxy may be overkill, but does not add much weight and I believe will help secure the windings if the motor vibrates due to an unbalanced condition
Bob K
Skinner46 is offline Find More Posts by Skinner46