SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:26 AM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Vote- Mini Max Fly it or wait? UPDATE It flew!

Finished my Mini Max some time ago. Darn Kansas wind just keeps blowing and I almost can't wait any longer to fly!

Thought I'd ask you guys? Wind today is a 12 gust to 25. (NO WAY!) Early evening forcast is for 9 gust to 15. (way???)

I have a lot of Tiger Moth and Cub FD experience. 5 knots about maxes me out on those. Also years of experince with all sorts of slimers. I'll be flying between a row of trees and my house of the golf green.

Gonna be real busy the rest of the week so this may be my last chance for awhile. I will check back this afternoon to see what you guys decide for me. If I fly it will be at approximately 6 pm CST. I promise to post the photo results of the flight tonight. Or maybe I should just leave it in the shop.?? You decide.

Here is a before photo.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Last edited by kansascloud; Mar 25, 2002 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2002, 11:49 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2002
33 Posts
I would wait, my plane is a high wing one and it is pretty un stable in the wind. I am a beginner as of January and I wouldn't want to risk my plane again, (the ground comes up pretty fast)
unless of coulse your a really good pilot
airdevil85 is offline Find More Posts by airdevil85
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2001
184 Posts
I find that if I have to ask myself whether or not I should fly, I already know the answer.

I'd wait. I've crashed a lot of airplanes rushing things. Spring time is coming...
JBowling is offline Find More Posts by JBowling
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:25 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Waiting would be the most prudent thing to do.

At 9 knots it's not going to be fun but it is possible. And high risk. (if you can call a $40 plane high) Also it depends on how much you mind crashing.

I've seen MM's flying in winds that would be beyond the maximum for a moth.

I'd say if it's on the low end of 9 knots and the gusts aren't too bad, go for it.

If the actual is above nine or really gusty to wait. It's the gusts and turbulence from the trees and houses that will get ya, more than the wind speed.

I feel for you, waiting for a maiden flight always seems to turn the weather bad.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:29 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
HI This is a job for the Hitec Sky Scooter if you'll think cost, parts availability and epp thats your wind kite IMHO Thanks for your consideration Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Mar 25, 2002, 03:50 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
EXTREME Mini Max flying

Well, I failed to heed the warnings of everyone here and decided to go for a flight in the terrable Kansas weather.

Here is how it looked....

Weather- Overcast/snowing/sleeting/drizzle. (Don't you wish you lived in Kansas?) . 24 degrees. Wind from the NE 8 mph. Occasional gust to 23. (the occasional gust are killers)

Set the Mini Max down on the partially ice crusted golf course green runway into the wind. Wind at this point had died to about 6-7 knots. Deep breath, full power and here we go!

The Max initially began it's roll slower than I had expected. (not as brisk as the Tiger Moth) But within a couple of seconds began to accelerate with authority and tracked straight. Soon it broke ground and I kept the nose down for maximum forward airspeed, anticipating turbulance. Wow! this thing is going fast now. Much faster than the Moth! Wind kicking up a bit! TREE straight ahead! Sharp bank to the left for a quick 180 degree turn DOWNWIND, woops! I'm dead now for sure. No wait, its still in the air! Wind kicking up to 20+ now! Flys past me like a jet!!!! but it is stable. Continuing now, a 90 degree turn around the side of my house and down the street. Flys pretty good as far as I can tell. Throttle way back now. Wind about 15. A couple of 360s now over the street and I'm impressed with the rudder authority in this wind. Now headed back upwind with 3/4 power. HUGE gust of wind takes the MM to the ground. Looks like a good time to stop to me. Quick, power off and she lands. That was fun!

Well, one more quick flight couldn't hurt anything. Seems like the wind has layed down now. Hummmmm...those are sleet balls coming out of the sky. Wait! is that ice on the leading edge of the propeller?? Sure is! Alright. Takeoff number 2. Just like the first one. Smooth! Oh no! huge gust! MM wacks a tree with the left wing! I'm going in! No wait, she is going to keep flying! Climb up to about 30 feet now. EXTEME TURBULANCE here. I WANT MY MOMMY!! Next thing I know the Mini Max lands itself. I've had enough.

Next thing to do is to photograph the airplane as promised, so the people on E-zone can see that it made it in one piece. If you look real close in the photo below you can see little balls of sleet.

Well, I feel better now, having had the airplane actually in the air. It was fun but I wouldn't advise everyone to try what I got away with.

This is however just another example of great fun you can have with these little jewels. I would not have even dreamed of flying one of my slimers in these conditions. Too dangerous, too cold, too expensive to waste, and too much time involved in my airplane. With my Mini Max, I had $29.00 invested in basically a meat tray with an electric motor and 3 hours of construction time. There wasn't anyone around to hurt or kill either. I will write a detailed comparrison between the Tiger Moth and the Mini Max later, after I get to fly it in decend conditions. Initially though, I feel like it is going to be a great airplane, capable of flying in a little more wind that the Moth. That was the main reason I wanted to try the Mini Max in the first place.

Mike

Old Mar 25, 2002, 04:44 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,647 Posts
Well you already did it so why vote,let me tell you what i did to my mm really flys good now......first i put a carbon fibre arrow shaft as a spar on the cg with a alum. joiner epoxyed to the wing then i put a 370 motor in place of the 280 then reinforced the elev. kinda the way the crazy max is done put in a rudded post stiffened the pushrods and fly it on a 8 cell 800 mh nic-met batt the stock wing ive seen fold doing a mild loop mine will loop,snap roll or whatever you want
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Mar 25, 2002, 04:54 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Updatae

Wind calmed down to a sustained 14 knots. Tried it again. Flew most of the pack out in a hover but this is a good flying airplane. Landed just before my hands froze. You guys in Florida and California have it made.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 05:31 PM
kahoka mo usa
Joined Jun 2001
68 Posts
hmph!, kansas cloud, you look like you have GOOD weather compared to me! I live near the mo-ia-il border, and we have about 4-5 inches of snow! if you excuse the bad picture from my web cam, you can see the snow outside. oh, well, i got two good flights in last night! as long as you have no snow, and the wind coperates, good luck!
dave1135us is offline Find More Posts by dave1135us
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:02 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Dave:

Just saw your forcast for tomorrow morning. Kansas City looks like Miami Beach in comparrison.

Hope we both get some flying weather soon!
Mike
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:34 PM
Goin' Vertical
Salem, OR
Joined Nov 2001
708 Posts
kansascloud,

One 8 cells the Mini Max can handle alot of wind and stay out of most trouble. It just takes a lot more attention to the sticks. Your gonna love how easy it is to fly on a calm day.

tIgGeR
Tigger is offline Find More Posts by Tigger
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:19 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Tigger:

Finally got to fly it in calm conditions today! WOW! Didn't think I could like an airplane more than my Tiger Moths but I honestly think the Mini-Max is a better airplane. Those big wings produce a lot of lift and it just tracks so well. I am 100% impressed. And for 29 bucks!
Old Mar 27, 2002, 06:52 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Same here with the Crazy Max. It sure does fly good. Maybe it's just me but I can't get past the way it looks.

At least it doesn't have a stick for the fuse.

And your's looks GREAT with your pilot. You just have to watch out for that guy, he's crashed a couple of my planes.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 27, 2002, 10:28 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Arha! Another Mini Max lover! It's a great little plane isn't it? And yours looks so.. new and undamaged. Unlike my Franken Max.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Mar 27, 2002, 12:39 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Undamaged?

It looked new and undamaged until the giant thorn tree in my yard sucked it in. Thorn went into the wing tip area and ripped the pee out of it. Also put a few bullet holes in the fuse.

I'm fixing it right now with a little lite spackle and found an exact paint match for that lovely Max orange at Hobby Lobby (the craft store).

BC-

I didn't think it was so hot looking either until I flew it. Now it is getting better looking all the time! Thanks for the Crazy Max photo. Looks like fun! Have you checked out the twin Max yet? Think that might me my next one?

Mike

P.S. You were right about that pilot. He wrecked my plane too