HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2005, 05:29 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Please let us know when the kit is available!!!! I want one!!!!
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2005, 04:19 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Well, I have the blades, I have commitment from a mail-order distributor and a design I'm happy with. Now I need to get some balsa and plywood laser-cut, and we'll start shipping them out.

I'm looking at a couple of laser cutter businesses. Anybody has experience with any of them, let me know. Anyone has a laser cutter in the basement and wants to give me a quote, let me know.

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Apr 08, 2005, 04:52 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,433 Posts
Jesse Wilkins [laserlizard@laserlizard.com]
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Apr 08, 2005, 05:00 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Oh man....we are getting close!!!!
Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:41 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
I'm not happy

I had my gyro get away from me this evening and land behind a fence. I thought the fence belonged to the local school, but turns out the city is leasing part of the school property to some inline skating place. So you can't get there from the street, and you can't get there from the school. The fences they put in are twice as tall as the school's, no one at the school has keys, no one knows who to call, and the phone number that's on the fence is dead.

It's sitting there in a puddle right now yanking itself to pieces with no signal, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Edit: So I got it back after 4 hours of walking around in circles and cursing in the rain. The fence was too tall for me to scale (what a wimp, I know). But let's just say, I fished it out with some, erm, creative engineering.

Normal programming will now resume.

Ari.
Last edited by iter; Apr 09, 2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:32 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
I AM happy

I had two wonderful days of flying the basher and showing it to other people. Yesterday, at Rancho San Antonio; today, at Baylands Park. A number of people took stills and video and I expect that they will either post them here or email them to me so I could post them. Brian Chan (bhchan) was kind enough to send me these videos:

http://www.lib.aero/~ari/autogyros/baylands.avi (6.10 MB)
http://www.lib.aero/~ari/autogyros/b...most-hover.avi (7.99 MB)
http://www.lib.aero/~ari/autogyros/b...handlaunch.avi (4.66 MB)

Everyone seemed surprised at how little runway it needs to take off. I also tried hand-launching it today for the first time - you can see that in the last video.

On two of the flights that Brian captured, as well as on a subsequent flight, I lost power to the motor without warning or good cause. The pack was fresh, and there had been no sign of dropping voltage before power cut. Unlike normal BEC activation, retarding the throttle to 0 and advancing it again had no effect. As you can see in the videos, landing without power is still problematic. It lands OK, but you can't flare and landings look bad. Interestingly, there was no damage to the rotors at all. When I was flying v1, landings like that meant 2-3 new blades. With the new stronger blades, no damage is done.

Ari.
Last edited by iter; Apr 11, 2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added almost-hovering video
Old Apr 11, 2005, 02:10 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Ari,

The second video link should be http://www.lib.aero/~ari/autogyros/baylands-hover.avi

It was a treat for me to see the AGSS(auto-gyro-slow-stick) flys.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Apr 11, 2005, 02:22 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
It only appeared to hover because I had it pointed into the wind, but if you insist, I'll make a symlink :=)

I don't know why I never came to Baylands before. It's the closest field to my home, and the crowd was great. I'm glad you liked my contraption. I hope more people will try to build gyros, they are real fun! I'm still looking for a good name for my gyro BTW, so keep them coming :=)

Ari.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 04:42 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Ari....this on the large slow stick ...right?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:45 AM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,433 Posts
Looks like you are having a great time. Congratulations.

You will probably improve the power off performance by moving the CG back, looks like you are probably nose heavy. Once you move the CG back, go up high and take the power away and it should descend near vertically. If you add a touch of down elevator you should get a little forward speed that you can use to flare with.
You would also benefit from an elevator that is 50-60% of the stab or an all flying stab. At low airspeeds the small elevator quits working.
Ditto on the rudder.

Loss of flight controls at low speed is why the early autogyro designers went to cyclic pitch on the head because it works at zero airspeed...
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:22 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
imsofaman: yes, v2 is built on a standard Slow Stick, http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...ow%20stick.htm There are close-up photos of it a couple posts back. It has bigger control surfaces and a stronger fuselage, so it seems to work better than the pico stick v1.

Mickey: I'll try to move the CG back. I've been moving it back little by little, but it goes so much against all my airplane experience to have to CG so far back :=) I've also been slowly adding back-tilt. Because of how the fuselage is, I can't add any downthrust, though it would really help.

Re elevator size, you are right about effectiveness and size. One of the reasons I went to a Slow Stick from a Pico was to get bigger surfaces. I'm trying to see how few modifications to GWS gear I get away with though. I'll try to play with back-tilt and CG, and will change the elevator if all else fails.

Ari.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:49 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Ari,

I am making couple bearing blocks to see if it will work.

Brian, an EAJ.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:34 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Phots from Baylands park

Photos by Jeff Mate
Last edited by iter; Jun 05, 2005 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added proper photo credit
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:37 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
More photos
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:49 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
My latest autogyro attemp was successful...but ended in desaster!!!! I love Clancy Aviaiton. I made an autogyro for the Baby bee. It flew today!!! man it was so cool. Had a hard tome trimmin it out. It was getting dark and lost my orientation...splat! What the Hell...I panicked! Anyway....i got a good feel for how it is supposed to fly. looking forward to making another Baby bee and going for it one more time!!!!

Oh...by the way, I modified the airfoil today and made the rotors 1 1/2" wide with an undercambered foil to it. Added more pitch and it would go into auto rotation by just walking!!!!
Last edited by imsofaman; Apr 26, 2005 at 08:12 AM.