SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2005, 05:51 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
Question
2 brushless motors on one brushless controller?

well, can it be done at all? ive heard mixed facts/opinions about it, and i want a final answer.

right now i have an actro 28/10-13 outrunner motor governed by a CC Pheonix 25. i want to buy another of these motors, and put them both on the same speed controller for my new project plane, the sea duck.

can anyone give me the definative truth? if it can be done, please tell me how!

-David
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2005, 06:33 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
There is a thread around here somewhere where a guy took two outrunner motors back to back and had them spinning in opposite directions each with their own prop. I believe he powered both on the same ESC Do a search for this thread. Sorry I am not much help on the thread but I cant remember what the title was.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:49 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
I think the thread was in parkflyers something like "contra rotating brushless"
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Mar 09, 2005, 11:50 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
I read the whole many-paged thread on the contra brushless.

He had intermittant cases of one motor starting and the other not. I didn't see any solution or cause discovered in the thread. (I theorized it MIGHT be the inversed rotating magnetic fields being too close to each other... but thats a WILD guess)

You can always "flip" a single prop that fails to self-start if its on the ground.. you can't do that with his contra setup. Airflow would push the prop to aid in starting in flight.

So... its worth trying. Make sure the battery and the ESC are rated for MORE than the current of both motors.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 10, 2005, 01:01 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianspork226
well, can it be done at all? ive heard mixed facts/opinions about it, and i want a final answer.

right now i have an actro 28/10-13 outrunner motor governed by a CC Pheonix 25. i want to buy another of these motors, and put them both on the same speed controller for my new project plane, the sea duck.

can anyone give me the definative truth? if it can be done, please tell me how!

-David
The short answer is that setup will not likely start--there are only a few controllers that handle 2 motors at all. The best is Kontroniks when used with their motors. In fact they sell matched sets for twins.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Mar 10, 2005, 01:04 AM
NZ / Wellington
Joined Jan 2004
474 Posts
Or you could have a look here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329491

I am reliably using two outrunners with one controller.

Rod
badcockr is offline Find More Posts by badcockr