HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2005, 12:20 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
Build Log
Building the ENVOY admiralty Tug!

Got this model about 2 weeks ago, started on the build, if anyone here has built one please let me know of any trouble spots or any helpful info, this is my first TUG so i am going very slow, also getting help from the people i bought her from, loyalhannadockyard awesome guys at that place, Don is extremely helpful and answers E-mails and phone calls promptly.
Tug Lover is offline Find More Posts by Tug Lover
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2005
10 Posts
I've wanted to see this boat built for a while. There are some good helpers here so take your time and ask away. Keep us posted on your progress with plenty of pictures. Did you have to cut out the holes yourself or were they already done?
Tugboats is offline Find More Posts by Tugboats
Last edited by Tugboats; Mar 08, 2005 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:12 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
The holes had to be cut by me, these hulls come with nothing done to them
it actually took me like 2 days to decide how i was going to cut them as i did not want to make any mistakes, what i did was i taped the blue prints onto my wall, then having a digital caliper for my RC Buggies i use the digital caliper to measure on the blue prints and then i use that exact measurement onto the actual model, this caliper can measure in both MM and Inches so it makes it way easier, i dont have to converge. What i did was use masking tape over the areas where the cut out is to be shaped, then draw it on the tape, take my dremel and make like 4 small holes, then with a needle file start filing, always make the holes or cut outs slightly smaller remove tape and file to correct size, all 12 holes took about 6 hours, they are exact to the blue prints in size and placement, will kepp you posted...i have built buggies in like 4 days, this is way different, and requires much patience, thank god for an understanding girlfriend, i figure it will take me about 4-5 months to build.....patience, what a gift!
Old Mar 08, 2005, 04:43 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
Deck as it dries things together...Ivan
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
10 Posts
Is the deck made from PVC or just plastic?
Tugboats is offline Find More Posts by Tugboats
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Lover
..i have built buggies in like 4 days, this is way different, and requires much patience, thank god for an understanding girlfriend, i figure it will take me about 4-5 months to build.....patience, what a gift!
Tug lover, this is awesome! I have tons of experience with r/c cars and trucks but not a whole lot with boats. It is great to see a car guy taking on a big project like this and making a building thread!

I am very excited to watch this unfold. So far, your work looks great!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 09, 2005, 08:30 AM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
TUGBOATS, i believe it is styrene plastic, i am new to this, but this is what the instruction book calls it, ( i could be wrong) Kmot thanks for the compliments, i will keep you posted with pics and small write ups as she comes along. Again i read alot and this is where i get 90% of my info, i am by no means a seasoned builder(virgin) so if i make a mistake please forgive me, but i am crossing my fingers that things go as good as they have gone so far.....Ivan!
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:06 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
Here is the rear deck in place, although not glued in, as i am waiting for my motor which will come in over the weekend, took me a while to sand this down to size, pain in the butt, but worth it. What type of glue should i use?, and what can i use to weight it down while the glue dries, any help will be appreciated....again this gluing will not happen till after i set up motor as it will be easier to set it up with more room with deck not in the way!
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:58 AM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
Got a chance to put the tow deck in place this morning, wont be able to work on her till tue again, i will now work on installing the prop shaft and motor, will post pics when everything is in place....Ivan.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:18 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Tug Lover,
Since the decks provide strength and ridgidity to the hull, I think I'd use epoxy to attach it to the hull. I also think I'd wait until I got as much 'in hull' work done as possible (never understood why you had to work through those access hatches when you could have the whole thing open) before gluing the deck down. Not sure if that's common sense, or just lazy.
Weights, etc, for holding the deck in place? You have a choice. Go spend $$$ for every concievable shaped/size clamps you can find. Or, a few different sized rubber bands and a nice selection of various sized cans for weight (as in soup, beans, chilli, olives, paint, whatever you can find in the pantry? Get permission first! - lol). Scrap chunks of 'stuff' come in handy too. Really high-tech equipment, you know.
Very nice work, keep it up...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:56 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
LTDOC, thanks for the compliments, as for the deck, its not glued in yet, so whenever i have to work inside the hull i just slide deck right out, i will not glue it till im completely done with the inside of hull, i am going slow, trust me, i dont glue till i am 1,000 percent sure that i can move foward. LTDOC i need a little help, i need a pic of what the motor inside the hull should look like, here is my dilemma, the motor needs very little wood if any at all underneath as it is nearly perfect in height to where the prop shaft will be, what can i do to mount motor onto hull...any and all advice is greatly appreciated, as for the epoxy, i will take your advice and use that, i kinda thought that epoxy would be best for holding the deck down, just needed someone elses input, and i did not even think of cans from pantry as weight, as for permission dont need any live alone, girlfriend has her own place...hahhaahhaa, anyway look forward to pics to help me out in putting the motor into hull and on a bracket of course...send pics to. ISHOOTCANON@OPTONLINE.NET
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:19 AM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
Ok here is the update on my ENVOY, after finishing up the front deck, i try fitted the wheelhouse and noticed that the wheelhouse had a "gap" from the lower part to the part that touches the deck, this did not please me at all. I decided to fill this gap by building a small but nice rim around the lower part of the wheel house to take up this "gap" that i did not like, i used styrene and glued it with superglue, i then got back to it the next day and sanded the lower portion to correct fitting, this took about 45 minutes, i then took some modeling putty and spread this onto the corners where the styrene touches one another, after sanding it once it is looking great, my whole idea here is to make the lower portion look as though it is one full piece around, it is looking just like that. I added more putty and will sand off again tommorrow, after paint goes on it, i think it will look nice and more importantly it got rid of the gap....here are the pics of what it looks like so far and an inside pic to show the gap it had, also I finally got the prop shaft in place as well......Ivan!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:52 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Awesome close-up capabilities with your camera!

Aren't you going to need some sort of o-ring or seal around the shaft coming out of the hull?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:04 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
KMOT, i dont know what i am going to need, i E-mailed LOYALHANNADOCKYARD to see what they say. It is not glued in place as of yet, waiting to see what others say, i think EPOXY is what is used to hold this in place but not sure if this is what will waterproof the rear here, thanks for the compliments, and i will of course keep you posted, this is my very first build!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:08 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
Hey KMOT, loyalhannadockyard just E-mailed me, i was correct, the epoxy will seal things up, and not let water enter the hull, the prop shaft inside the brass tube will spin freely i will add one drop of lube oil and thats it...less is better with the oil..hope this helps...Ivan.