HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2005, 08:25 AM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
AerodromeRC Nieuport 17 Prototype Build

The mailman did good yeaterday. He brought me my AerodromeRC Nieuport 17 kit. This is the fourth kit I have gotten from AerodromeRC and the shipping has been more than prompt on all of them. I keep seeing the name Cheryl Bengston on the shipping papers and I suspect the accolades for great shipping should go to Mrs. B., who obviously knows that quick delicery of a great kit is the best way to start a project.

This 40" span model is definitely a step up from Sport Scale. Kurt has nailed the tapered fuselage sides and the asymetrical bulge on the port side ahead of the cockpit. The U/C is sprung and can be made to look very scale. The crown jewel of the design is the scale aileron control linkages. The pushrod/crank/torque tube linkages are a major characteristic of the type and Kurt has made a functional and servicable scale rendition. Outstanding!

Additional neat features are the CF tube spars and LEs. The TEs are upper and lower pieces of 1/32 sandwiching the notched ends of the ribs. Light, strong and warp resistant.

I see only two things I will change. I will be using pull/pull controls for the tailfeathers and I'll need some sort of dummy engine to keep up the level of detail. I'll be determining the exact cable exit points and the elevator cable pass-throughs on the stab.

Kurt recommends a long can S480 with a MP-jet 3.4:1 gearbox spinning a 12" prop. I will use a NiMh pack because the short nose of the Nieuport will make tailheaviness an issue. I don't see the point in paying extra for a lighter, more efficient BL/LiPo system and then adding lead to make it fly. Besides, I've never gone wrong following Kurt's recommendations.

I'll be keeping blow by blow notes and photos, but I won't subject y'all to that. I'll post photos, updates and pleas for help here. I work 60+ hour weeks and with time out for flying when work and weather permit, this won't be a lightning quick build. I intend to thoroughly enjoy this build, so y'all bear with me

sp
sperry is online now Find More Posts by sperry
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 09:34 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,411 Posts
Are you doing it with undercambered ribs? I got my Pfalz DIII at 40 inches with both undercambered and flat bottomed ribs. I suspect I will laminate the wing tips and tail feathers and maybe even go with scale ribs and a thinner trailing edge. I am not a fan of big slabs of balsa sheet for wing tips or wide trailing edges--guess it is my free flight scale experience of many years! The plans on the Pfalz are beautiful and it has a sheeted fuselage which will look really nice. l am very impressed with Kurt's designs and the quick mailing too.

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Mar 08, 2005, 09:44 AM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
Pat:
Yes, I will be using the undercambered ribs. I just opened up the bag of wood and founf the ribs to be laser cut to the flat bottomed shape and then there was a printed dashed line on each as a cutting/ scanding guide for making the rib undercambered. A little extra work, but the model is too big to get away with a flat bottom wing. Scale look dictates some undercamber.

The Pfalz sounds great. I generally agree with you about outlines of wing tips and tailfeathers. Since my 17 is a prototype kit, I'm going to stick with the kit parts on this one. This one's about Kurt's design and not sp knows better, (which he usually doean't ;-)

sp
Old Mar 10, 2005, 04:57 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
Attached are some images of the plans and laser wood. I should have the time to remove all the parts, dress them and sort them into bags this evening. I've been buying basswood, CF rods and an assortment of wire & tubes, so I should be gluing things this weekend.
sp
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:26 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Sperry, what have you decided to use for power? I am assuming you are going to use the pull-pull set-up for the tail feathers. I'll be watching this one close.....Greg
Greg Knipp is online now Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old May 01, 2005, 09:27 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
I've finished building all the main components and fitting most of the gear. Covering, assembly, control hookup and detailing are what remains.

This is the first prototype kit I have tried and there were several areas where the parts weren't right. In every case an e-mail to Kurt and a .pdf drawing of the corrected part showed up shortly. Frankly on a design with as many complex features as this one, I'm surprised there were so few parts in error. How Kurt visualizes a 3D structure and then flogs Auto Cad into representing it in 2D amazes me.

The build went very smoothly. I started at the cowl and built aft until the whole fuselage was done. I added gear, strut mountings and U/C as I went. The traditionel "Peter Rake front box rear frame method was hard to apply to the Nieuport with it's slanted fuselage sides. I ended up adding each side individually, joining at the tailpost and then adding formers and cross pieces. The design lent itself to this method and it worked quite ell here.

I used 1/32 sheeting instead of 1/16. Even with the thinner sheeting, the sides with the asymetric buldges were tough to cover. I ended up using some light filler to get rid of a few whip-a-diddles.

The lower wings and tailfeathers were straight forward. Kurt had included laser cut cross pieces for the tailfeathers frames. Perfect fit and a real time saver. Great idea. the two piece thin ply TEs are super. Light, strong and EASY TO SAND :-)

The top wing is very complex. the torque tubes for the scale aileron controls and the bracing around the CF spars where they join in the center involved a lot of pieces and a specific order of assembly. It all works out a lot easier in balsa and CF than it looks on the plans.

I've been writing and photoing step by step instructions, so it's been a slow moving project. I just blunder along till i get it right and then try to write it up like I knew what I was doing all along. :-)

sp
Old May 02, 2005, 08:50 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Steve,
It looks marvelous. Can't wait to see more pics.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old May 03, 2005, 08:39 AM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
Thanks Dave. Not up to your standards, but it's turning out pretty well.

I find myself with a dirth of usable photos. I have been photographing every step for the instructions, but those pix are pretty tightly focused on sprcific pieces or assemblies.

Let me hunt for a few photos that show more.

sp
Old May 03, 2005, 07:13 PM
Jasper, Alabama, United States
Joined Sep 2004
58 Posts
Sperry,
What are you going to cover it with?

Terry
tgrover is online now Find More Posts by tgrover
Old May 03, 2005, 09:10 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
Terry

I'm using Coverite Coverlite. PITA, but the aluminum finish looks right to me.

sp
Old May 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
The model is now at the stage where it can be fitted together and looks vaguely like a Nieuport.

I managed to provide myself with another Modeling Moment. After spending the better part of an hour installing rigging anchors on the struts, I went and glued the struts on with the anchor loops on the outboard side. I ought to know better than to model without adult supervision.

Has anyone had any experience cutting markings out of Coverlite?

sp
Old May 11, 2005, 02:45 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,728 Posts
Congratulations! Looks very nice so far. Good work with the struts, too - something *has* to go wrong, you know, so you better make sure it's something harmless

Cheers

Edi
(who is still waiting for the motor to arrive for his Dr.1)
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Jun 15, 2005, 06:40 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,728 Posts
Steven,

how did you do the pull-pulls for the tailfeathers?

Cheers

Edi
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Jun 15, 2005, 07:48 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
Edi:
I used loop ended wires that can slide thru servo arm connectors. The Spiderwire is attached to the loops in the wires for adjustment.
sp
Old Jun 15, 2005, 09:09 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,397 Posts
If all goes well I'll maiden the Nieuport tomorrow. There are still lots of details to add should she survive.

AUW is 39 oz & change. Power is as called out in the plans Long Can 400 in a 3.5:1 BG and 11x4.7 prop. 1900 mAh 2 cell LiPo. Radio is a 6 channel GWS. I set the ailerons with 50% less down than up. I also set it to give 15% rudder with the ailerons.

Balance was a problem. Due to the aileron servos mounted in the fuselage, there was no room to move things forward. Took quite a chunk of lead to get it to balance where Kurt says it should.

Hope the weather and equipment are good, I'm not launching this thing unless conditions are ideal.
sp